Sign in to follow this  
Zera

Server Lagging Randomly

Recently my Dedicated server has been experiencing bouts of building, extreme lag.

With a few errors and notices appearing in console, I am not sure what the cause of some of them could be or what is causing this building lag.

[08:33:55 AM] WARNING com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Communicator: Buggalugs last counts=10000

[08:12:57 AM] WARNING com.wurmonline.server.skills.SkillStat: Polling 224 skills for stats v2 took 21 ms.

[07:32:11 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.zones.Zone: Zone at 768, 3392 polled 57 tiles. That took 1338.0898 millis.

07:42:36 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.epic.EpicServerStatus: Deleting last mission for deity 4 since it could not be found

Spoiler

[08:00:16 PM] WARNING com.wurmonline.server.Players: Failed to open stats.html

java.io.FileNotFoundException: .\stats.html (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.open0(Native Method)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(FileOutputStream.java:270)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:213)

at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:162)

at java.io.FileWriter.<init>(FileWriter.java:90)

at com.wurmonline.server.Players.printStats(Players.java:3770)

at com.wurmonline.server.Server.run(Server.java:2366)

at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:555)

at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:505)

There are more errors that appear every now and again, some of them even mod related. Those have been reported to their respective Developers though, but I am still unsure if those are in fact causing some of this building lag either.

Edited by Zera

Most lag is caused by tilepoling. Of which is due tilepoling calculating damage of items. A lot of items in a zone will cause it

11 hours ago, bigsteve said:

Most lag is caused by tilepoling. Of which is due tilepoling calculating damage of items. A lot of items in a zone will cause it

How would one find the location of these over-piled areas?

I don't recall seeing anything about coordinates or anything in the console that I could use to find these problem areas.

Or is there a setting or something I can alter to make this less taxing?

The current player base isn't very large on the server, and I would imagine that this would require several large piles of items or tree stumps to be left behind to cause item induced lag on the server.

Not knowing how large the average zone is, makes it difficult to determine who, where or what would be causing the issue either.

If the zone is an average of 20 tiles or so, or even 100 tiles within a radius? Does anyone have a guesstimate or accurate data on this subject? With that I could possibly do some searching for our culprit.

Edited by Zera