Sign in to follow this  
Richard

Will seals fish for themselves?

I just started breeding seals.  I put them near a large lake on my deed and hoped they'd fish for their own food.  A few days later I found one of the pregnant females wandering around starving.  She was about 15-20 tiles away from the lake at this time.    I went around and found all of the other seals, which had also wandered off and, while not starving, they all ate a fish.  Was she starving because she wandered too far away from the lake to find fish, or do they have to be hand fed even if they have a lake nearby?  How do they survive in the wild if they can't get their own food?

nope, if you want tame seals, be prepared to fish for them.  A lot.  They're basically really picky pigs.

• Like 2

Basically, other than grazers like horses, sheep, and cattle, if you want to have "kept" animals you have to put out the food and feed them yourself.

This even includes chickens, dogs, and pigs who will not hunt food on their own unless you leave a pile of it where they can access it.  Dogs and pigs will butcher corpses within their reach on their own for food, though, but they won't hunt for themselves to make that kill.

• Like 1

Richard, If you want to keep the seals you will need to build and enclosure for them or they will wander away as you have seen. They don't really need water inside it. Players just do that sometimes just for the visual effect. Also, just drop the fish (not sure what else they might eat) in a few piles around inside their enclosure and they will eat it as desired. Check the piles every few days and re-drop more fish until you get to know how much they will eat over time. Don't hand feed them as they will only eat a small amount and refuse any more for some unknown time, so no point to that.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Leave some sheep with them, then the seals won't go hungry anymore (yes, seals do attack and kill other non-aggro animals when starving).

• Like 1

On 3/24/2018 at 1:51 AM, Wulfgar said:

Leave some sheep with them, then the seals won't go hungry anymore (yes, seals do attack and kill other non-aggro animals when starving).

Be careful, though, as the one time I kept a seal it evidentally got hungry and attacked one of my bison.

End result: one wounded bison, one seal corpse.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:51 AM, Wulfgar said:

Leave some sheep with them, then the seals won't go hungry anymore

You can tell which seal ate one too by the sheepish look on their face afterwards.

=Ayes=

• Like 3