Sign in to follow this  
Corsan

News article shenanigans.

So, I was trying to go back through the news articles on here to try and find some stuff for a post I'd made (Referencing a decay bug and statements that were made in regards to decorative items no longer decaying on deed with upkeep over 30 days/a list made/whether open fireplaces and smelters counted in that list.)...and I found a few 'issues'. For example :

This news article leads to a link that leads to a 404 not found page.

This news article got misnamed somehow and no longer shows the number.

This news article seems to be missing in the list...but can be found by searching.

This one... and this one are both marked as Valrei International 050.

This news article was just marked as 'Breaking news' instead of as 052.

...and I still didn't manage to find the news article referencing smelters being added, to read whether it counted in that list of items that shouldn't decay. I would've just messaged this to Retrograde, but I messaged him in reference to another thing he asked me to message him about and it's still marked as 'Not read' days later.

Someone possibly dropping the ball behind the scenes?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Corsan said:

I would've just messaged this to Retrograde, but I messaged him in reference to another thing he asked me to message him about and it's still marked as 'Not read' days later.

In my experience, it may never change from 'Not read', but that doesn't mean it hasn't been read.

I believe the reader has to somehow engage with the message for it to turn to 'read', simply looking at it doesn't seem to do it.  At least that's what I'm pretty sure I've noticed on my end when replying to a message.

Whether read and ignored is more annoying than not read at all, and ignored... meh.  Take the good, laugh at how sorry the bad.  Worst case scenario, you find yourself laughing very often.

Most pm's show as not read as I don't read them within the forum software and am waiting for information to reply to you, so there's that. 

As for the valrei international thing, the devblog posts are sometimes a bit weird, I edit them when I catch them, but sometimes it doesn't show until later

Breaking news was added as the post was out of the cycle, I'd suggest following the actual posts than the devblog posts though, since it just copies a link from the news section of the forums, which is where the issues you've mentioned are 

• Like 4

If at all possible within the forum's software, I'd suggest shutting off that feature.  It doesn't really provide any needed information, but instead is a liability giving the wrong impression.

If players for some odd reason revolt, you can always turn it back on, but it just seems like the liability is greater than any benefit for the moment.

Old forums ftw.  Old news blog ftw.

Edited by Nomadikhan

For what it's worth, if you read a PM via the notification email it sends you, it'll show as not read, despite you having read it.

• Like 1

Retro purposely ignores each one of us to maintain whats left of his sanity, of course. Think nothing of it! He has minions to read messages for him.

• Like 1

Retro waved goodbye to his sanity years ago.  Now he just has disgusting coffee instead.

• Like 4

Unfortunately some of the various forum software upgrades we've been through messed up older links.  It's not great, but it's where we are. 

Thank you for pointing out those inconsistencies, I've made a note of them.

Pandalet (Assistant Lead Forum Moderator)

• Like 1