Sign in to follow this  
CrazyDad543

Interactive map

Recommended Posts

I'm sure that I am not the only one who has thought this, and probably not the first or last to post it here. But can we please have interactive maps? It makes it so much easier to tell where you are and where you are going.

  If you want to get realistic with it. Then make the maps so they have to be made and only fill in when you visit those areas, but please have the maps he interactive! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a fan of having to figure it out on your own. I think it’s part of the adventure. 

 

I wont -1 though because I don’t think it would bother me either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's various options on Wurm Unlimited, from a map window in game(livemap) , to typing /gps so you can get coordinates and take them to a browser based map.

 

Very popular in WU.  I don't use livemap much myself, but /gps has been useful and fun while working on deed, or if the dog needs me asap and I have to log off.  Sometimes you just need to get home in a hurry for some reason.

 

I think it has value but should definitely be unobtrusive and optional we can still meander on a walkabout when we feel like it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-1 having to figure your position on map is one of those things that makes wurm wurm. Removing that will ruin so much immersion. I enjoy the challenge of having to find my way while i was a noob. Cartography as a skill and craftable maps like the ones on forum with settlements and roads would be interesting though

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big -1. One of the best things in wurm, and first you have to learn in game is to figure out map and compass. That's the part of Wurm's life. Stop making this game easier, and easier.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also -1

 

It's a wurm specific thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-1 When I explore finding out where I am is part of the fun... This would ruin it, and also the functionality of many things i.e. waystones, ditropa etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2018 at 0:52 AM, kochinac said:

-1 having to figure your position on map is one of those things that makes wurm wurm. Removing that will ruin so much immersion. I enjoy the challenge of having to find my way while i was a noob. Cartography as a skill and craftable maps like the ones on forum with settlements and roads would be interesting though

 

-1 being lost in wurm makes wurm wurm

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-1 same as jakeriver said.. its good that u actually have to use your head and figure out where u are if u get lost, compass, map and landscape is all you need to navigate. Besides, we do have detailed maps made already where you can see deeds etc. if the map is updated. 

 

 

yes it might be frustrating when you are new to the game and fresh account... might end up traveling few days to find way back... but next time you pay more attention where u travel :)

Edited by Themystrix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of -1's on here. How many people here ONLY use the in game map and not the community made map? the community made one has enough info for a person to find where they are EASILY. Making the map not interactive just makes players like him have to open another window in order to continue enjoying the game. Getting lost in wurm was only enjoyable when i was a noob that had plenty of time and had to run away from certain mobs. Now if im lost its just a killing spree until i find my way home. Nothing really fun about it unless i meet new people (Which i don't need to get loss to do)

 

Also, the fact that the wurm map is an image of the initial world is completely disorienting. Theres no "key" showing what color means what type of land. Even if there was, people sometimes change the land like desert to forest. Theres also landbridges that are easily seen in game, in community maps, but are simply not existent in the in game map. All that map does is allow you to orient with mountains and lakes, which gets isnt amusing after doing it 2 times. I don't say "YES I FOUND MY WAY" i say "YES IM FINALLY DONE" when i make it to sermon parties or other events.

 

+1 to an interactive map. If not showing where you are, at least update the image. im honestly shocked the community map posts have so many views yet people in the suggestion forums say no to an easier map to read in wurm

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you people get lost, with highways in the game, people naming guard towers with the ingame co-ordinates, and free locate souls on any branded animal?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

How do you people get lost, with highways in the game, people naming guard towers with the ingame co-ordinates, and free locate souls on any branded animal?

Missing a turn and going the wrong direction for awhile on a 38km horse..on a foreign server then realizing you aren’t where you thought you were and lag-death around a bunch of lava spiders. 

 

The branded animal part saved me. Thankfully the guy on deli was able to go and retrieve the heavy geared horse he lent me to find my first corpse (crashed near a troll) and my supreme pick for us lolol

 

its funny now. It wasn’t funny last night xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

How do you people get lost, with highways in the game, people naming guard towers with the ingame co-ordinates, and free locate souls on any branded animal?

Highways, guard towers, and free locate souls don't occur in the ocean. On big maps some may find it difficult to figure out where they are. A simply mistake when jumping islands could place you on the opposite side of the map and leave you thinking "Ah yes!!! a lake next to a double peaked mountain. Im here!" Sure you can figure it out once you are land but if the map was there it would save the annoyance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

A simply mistake when jumping islands could place you on the opposite side of the map and leave you thinking "Ah yes!!! a lake next to a double peaked mountain. Im here!"

Heading north into land? You're probably on the south side. Heading east into land? You're probably on the west side. If you're only looking for a single landmark to determine where you are on the map maybe that's why you're getting lost all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Heading north into land? You're probably on the south side. Heading east into land? You're probably on the west side. If you're only looking for a single landmark to determine where you are on the map maybe that's why you're getting lost all the time.

Even when looking at multiple landmarks, You may see a set of structures that seem true to the map but is really another area. Also like i said earlier, landmarks change and the map won't show that. I remember a time i tried looking for a biome that didn't exist :/, in game map fooled me.

 

Not saying the map is completely not functional, but there are tools available outside of the game that make the in game map crap. There are plenty of people using that community map and then go ahead to say "No, If that map gets any more efficient it wouldn't be wurm anymore. The only change it needs is a new letter k". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long before I ever seen my first community map I was going all over the place with out any problems. It is all about knowing where you been and paying attention to where you are going.

 

Most of the newer generation is clueless to following actual maps anyways, if you can't find it on your smart phone you will never find the place. Learn to use maps, even the poor quality in game map is sufficient to find your way around.

 

If that is not good enough, maybe you should stick to a game like wow where they hold your hand and lead you around.

Edited by JakeRivers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1.  They could put a toggle on it. That way, those who insist that getting lost and having to figure it out is "half the fun of Wurm," can continue to enjoy getting lost and figuring it out to their hearts content. I see no reason to insist that everyone in the game must be forced to "enjoy" what they enjoy. 

 

In fact, I'd be willing to wager that that mentality on many things that people make suggestions about is a large part of why we can't keep new people who try the game and the population doesn't grow, even though Wurm is a niche game, and why WU attracts so many, even veterans.

 

 

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

If that is not good enough, maybe you should stick to a game like wow where they hold your hand and lead you around.

 

Stop talking.  You are bad for any chance Wurm may have to bring in new players.

 

Don't want to use an interactive map?  Pay attention, this is complicated.  Don't hit M.

Can't handle that?  Ok, no problem.

 

Open your console, that you can surely handle, and type "Bind M"  then hit enter.

Now you can hit M all you want, and you won't see the map.

 

In the meantime, when a new player like CrazyDad takes the time to post a simple suggestion that shouldn't be considered all that nuts or far-fetched by anyone with half a brain, how bout we don't tell them to go back to WoW and instead try to behave in a way that welcomes them into the game?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1, it would remove some stress that new players get when they first start off :) and if the older players don't wanna use it then they don't have to

Edited by PumperNickel
Forgot a word
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2018 at 8:11 PM, CrazyDad543 said:

I'm sure that I am not the only one who has thought this, and probably not the first or last to post it here. But can we please have interactive maps? It makes it so much easier to tell where you are and where you are going.

  If you want to get realistic with it. Then make the maps so they have to be made and only fill in when you visit those areas, but please have the maps he interactive! 

 

-1

 

You'll get used to it.  Frustrating as hell at first and I've personally wasted lots of time turning the wrong corner, but once you get used to the game and/or area it's a great feature and glad no mark on the map.  Be nice to have more navigation tools though, like star constellations we can track or something.

 

What helped me at first was putting personal markers on the map when find a point of interest I've past up.  Right click the map and can put your own icons to help you out and change them as you grow.

 

Bookmark these links.  They are official map dumps.  There are also many community maps that make it super easy to travel and don't need a map marker after that.

 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6J_aGQ6URL8UURFN2VadWxtSWs

 

 

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reylaark said:

 

Stop talking.  You are bad for any chance Wurm may have to bring in new players.

 

Don't want to use an interactive map?  Pay attention, this is complicated.  Don't hit M.

Can't handle that?  Ok, no problem.

 

Open your console, that you can surely handle, and type "Bind M"  then hit enter.

Now you can hit M all you want, and you won't see the map.

 

In the meantime, when a new player like CrazyDad takes the time to post a simple suggestion that shouldn't be considered all that nuts or far-fetched by anyone with half a brain, how bout we don't tell them to go back to WoW and instead try to behave in a way that welcomes them into the game?

 

 

There is no excuse to be so lost you can't find your way anywhere.

 

1 - you can use a compass

 

2 - there are community maps

 

3 - highways with waystones all over the place now

 

4 - can also use a dioptra if you really stumped, they are light weight

 

5 - ask for help in freedom

 

Pay attention to your surroundings and you will never get lost in the first place know the land marks.

 

A part of wurm is the adventure of figuring things out, a interactive map removes that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-1

 

On 3/19/2018 at 11:11 PM, CrazyDad543 said:

 If you want to get realistic with it.

 

Since when did a regular paper map tell you where you currently are? Maybe a city, town, state name, but that's what the Public maps are for, or your alliance marking, you can even add annotation your self to your map.

 

Get lost, get found and/or find your way home is one of the greatest things of this game. Always and adventure to go a different route.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this