Sign in to follow this  
Annyil

[No bug] Blue hide armor dyeing

I'm very happy for the new possibilities of dyeing, it opened many new ways of colouring.
Nevertheless I'm disappointed for the new colour of hide and scale armours. All of them have too high saturation and the violetish pieces doesn't look good with the other blue parts.

But please, if you change it, don't turn the blue armour to all purple! :)

1PCK8BO.jpg

I made a lot of blue dyes, but the armor got to purple or violet or greenish maybe brown. I couldn't dye it to the same nice blue like the other parts of armor.
I'm very sad, the original blue of the hide armor was much nicer.

• Like 2

It's a shader that overlays the leather colour, not a grey or white, which is why it tints it. 

Don't expect to match the natural blue of the texture, it has a brownish hue for that reason. 

nm

Edited by Niki
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

It's a shader that overlays the leather colour, not a grey or white, which is why it tints it. 

Don't expect to match the natural blue of the texture, it has a brownish hue for that reason. 

Does that mean it would never be possible?  Or just require a different shade of blue dye to compensate?

My sadness is that the blue drake armour got a quite vivid purplish tint as default on the parts that can be dyed - the pre-update one was more harmonic to the armour itself for my eyes, and we did not find a way yet to get that look applying any dye to the armour.

All in all the new armour customization options are great, I really liked the new designs already.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jaz said:

My sadness is that the blue drake armour got a quite vivid purplish tint as default on the parts that can be dyed -

The default look of the armour should be unchanged. Can you post a screenshot?

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Since this is in town square now...

No disrespect here, really like the updates thus far but I have to ask? What's the point in dye if everything gets a brownish tint on darker armours, plate, leather dye's excellent so why can't scale or drake do this?

It's ulgy tbh, I pay good money for dyes *COUGH* and they look like low QL dye on my armour. This is just going to likely stop me from buying dyes as wood items also suffer from this shader issue. Cedar still has it's reddish hue that makes darker dyes not dark. Also seryll helmet, looks brown for pretty much any dye you use.

Good example is this, because the hood, boots and gloves have a dark base, the dye is more stronger. The sleeves, pants, shirt are base white. Black cloth armour (the item) doesn't allow dye either so I can't use that item.

b21aaf6b9945ad89f2f906586f8f4481.png

The simple fix here would just to use the dye's base and override the base of the item.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Saroman said:

The default look of the armour should be unchanged. Can you post a screenshot?

Unfortunately I found no shots from the old model - and the only one I have access now is already dyed. The default look has now a purple tint on the parts which can be dyed. I hope someone will have a screenshot with a blue drake set from before the patch...

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. 

If you use a wire brush on your armour you should be able to go back to the plain leather panel look again.  Then you can start again experimenting with different shades of blue.

5 minutes ago, Muse said:

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. 

If you use a wire brush on your armour you should be able to go back to the plain leather panel look again.  Then you can start again experimenting with different shades of blue.

The undyed blue drake has no brown panels, it is purplish instead. I recognized what is my issue, the brown panels are gone from the drake armours. All bear a tint now.

My black set has never been dyed and yet has a colour 10,10,10 and I have the option to wire brush.

I have not tried it, has anyone tried using the wire brush?

Edited by Muse

ohh so maybe it is only that? We need to brush off the dye and we get back the original drake armour look? Or will all be white? :P

This is what I am thinking - someone be brave enough to confirm! :P

Annyil just tested, YES, you can remove the default colour that had been added to the leather parts with the update. The panels are back to brown. So it was just an automatically added paint to the undyed armours.

Thank you for the tip!

Edited by Jaz

Thank you for confirming our guesses are true :)  This is worth a prize!

If Annyil is able to come pickup - I am happy to donate a satchel of 100x 99ql Woad - so she can get her armour looking just how she likes it - come pick up U18 Deliverance :) 

• Like 5

Thank you Muse :) Yes I tested, only on red hide armor yet. It looks better now :D

The issue is drake and scale armour already have a primary colour, that determines which colour texture shows.

This means we need to use secondary colour systems, much like how boats work (wood and sail). 

When a secondary colour is introduced, the primary colour is copied over to it, leading to all drake armours having the coloured leather. As stated, the secondary colour can be removed with a brush

We need to have the ability to white out any leather/cloth, like bleached leather and cloth for example for better colorability.

Edited by Wiolo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Niki said:
Spoiler

Since this is in town square now...

No disrespect here, really like the updates thus far but I have to ask? What's the point in dye if everything gets a brownish tint on darker armours, plate, leather dye's excellent so why can't scale or drake do this?

It's ulgy tbh, I pay good money for dyes *COUGH* and they look like low QL dye on my armour. This is just going to likely stop me from buying dyes as wood items also suffer from this shader issue. Cedar still has it's reddish hue that makes darker dyes not dark. Also seryll helmet, looks brown for pretty much any dye you use.

Good example is this, because the hood, boots and gloves have a dark base, the dye is more stronger. The sleeves, pants, shirt are base white. Black cloth armour (the item) doesn't allow dye either so I can't use that item.

b21aaf6b9945ad89f2f906586f8f4481.png

The simple fix here would just to use the dye's base and override the base of the item.

Might not be what you were going for but I think it looks awesome :)

I'm assuming you're using the same dye on all items, and that it is the blackest dye possible?

My thinking is, maybe if they can make the black dye richer like you see on the hood, gloves, etc... you could then use that on the cloth and a lighter shade on the hood, gloves etc, to compensate for the darker base.

I don't know enough about graphics to really understand Retro's responses but it would seem using a brush clears up the problem the OP was having... I think.

Yours is a different problem though.  I don't think a brush prior to dying would help in your case.

Edit:: it's pretty much what I was asking up above to begin with but I'm not able to decipher the response in relation to the question.  If anyone can translate the answer, it would be appreciated.

Edited by Reylaark
pls help the slow folk

10 hours ago, Niki said:

Everything is a shader over the existing colour, the leather on drake is a lighter shade of brown than other leather, so lighter colours work better.

If you're working with a red or warm colour, lower the R value and you'll see it work nicely, since a lot of the red for your colour will come through the brown texture