Sign in to follow this  
Reylaark

2018 Horseback Sprout-picking [Implemented]

Not always sure whether to start a new thread, or resurrect an old one.  Given the timing of past threads, I decided to start a new one relating to past ones.

The topic came up recently in one of the Valrei International discussions.  I got curious as to why it isn't possible to pick a sprout from horseback and wanted to know more about the history of requests.

Two reasons seemed to come up as cause for a -1:

1. Macro - Some seemed to say it would make it easier to macro.  Others disagreed.  I wouldn't call it conclusive and honestly don't think I would consider it a viable reason for a -1.  A vast majority of players are not looking to macro and should not be punished for the occasional bad apple.
  2. Where's the line! - A more popular reason seems to be where we draw the line as to what can be done on horseback.  The most common response, and a compelling one imho, is to point out all the things we can already do on horseback.  The line wasn't drawn then, it shouldn't be drawn here.

Things we can do from horseback currently, as far as I can tell, please add others you know of:

• Imping Arrows.
  • Repairing Armor.
  • Paving?
  • Healing Self.
  • Healing Others.
  • Butchering.
  • Burying.
  • Lighting a forge.
  • Plant Cat's Eyes.  (Thanks Muse!)
  • Saccing.  (As per MrGary in Alyeska's thread.)
  • Collecting snowballs (As per Cecci in Alyeska's thread.)
  • Reinforcing.  (As per JakeRivers in Alyeska's thread.)

Past threads:

1.   2010 :: only 2 responses, both -1.
  2. 2011 ::   +10, -5
  3. 2012 ::  +5, -1
  4. 2014 ::  Yes 92, No 28.  A poll made by Protunia who had been a -1 in both previous threads.  Now a +1.  Many of the -1's in the body of the thread are more about disdain for Protunia than the suggestion.
  5. 2015-->2017 :: +31, -4

An interesting idea was brought up by @Tavariellin the 2014 thread.

The idea being linking the ability to do certain things on horseback to the related skill, or perhaps to body control.

Based on all the above, I would propose we push this through to implementation before a 2019 thread.

Thank you much.

Edited by Reylaark
Added Cat's Eyes, saccing, snowballs, reinforcing
  • Like 9

suggested it a while back myself, will still +1 it today, although mine was harvesting fruit and crops from cart I'm guessing the two are tied together.

57 minutes ago, Alyeska said:

suggested it a while back myself, will still +1 it today, although mine was harvesting fruit and crops from cart I'm guessing the two are tied together.

I remember that.  That was the one I got concerned about olives getting wiped out too easily.  I don't remember if we already had the secondary harvest back then, but I think that helps.  I was expecting it to come up in my search but I guess it didn't include sprouts?

I'm tempted to suggest we keep this thread to sprouts from a horse, not because I disagree with what you're suggesting, but because it would muddle the issue a bit.

I can try to dig up your old thread and bump it back up though, indicating I've changed my mind on it if that helps.

Found the thread!  Bumped it and indicated my changed vote.

Edited by Reylaark
update

+1

Picking sprouts from a horse or cart, and ..

....selling items to token from horse or cart.

Yes please.

Thanks for this thread Reylaark.  Being able to plant catseyes from horseback has already made my life so much easier than it could have been - so a big +1 to sprouts.

• Like 2

Every time I try to pick a sprout from horseback, I'm surprised when it doesn't work. Considering what we can already do to abuse Forestry, this is a quality of life improvement that has been long due.

• Like 1

It would be nice just to have some kind of reasoning or consistency here. The list of "stuff you can do on horseback" vs. "stuff you can't do on horseback" seems completely random.

• Like 2

/me rides into the sunset on his Mountainpie, picking sprouts, harvesting trees and bushes, prunning overaged trees and playing with yoyo on his way.

• Like 3

On 4/16/2018 at 9:08 PM, Warlander said:

/me rides into the sunset on his Mountainpie, picking sprouts, harvesting trees and bushes, prunning overaged trees and playing with yoyo on his way.

Would this happen to mean what I think it might happen to mean?  ^_^:mellow:

1 minute ago, Reylaark said:

Would this happen to mean what I think it might happen to mean?  ^_^:mellow:

:ph34r:

• Like 3

• Change:  You can now do the following while mounted/embarked – yoyo, prune, pick sprout and harvest.

Only 8 years and a dozen suggestion threads, and it has happened!

14 minutes ago, Alyeska said:
  • Change:  You can now do the following while mounted/embarked – yoyo, prune, pick sprout and harvest.

Only 8 years and a dozen suggestion threads, and it has happened!

Does this include maple sap?

If it does sweet god yes