Sign in to follow this  
Batta

Who's online

As a GM, is there a way for me to know which players are currently online, without me having to log in?  Maybe there's something in the database that will tell me who is on right now?

There is a GM command, #who might be it

well, since you would have to be at a computer to see who is online anyway, opening the client with a GM alt should be a non-issue? I suppose there must be some free tool out there that could run on the server, monitoring the logs for and login and logout info?

No, logging in to find out isn't what I was wanting to know. I already know how to find out who's online when I'm in the game.  I'm just wondering if someone knows a way to find out who's playing right now, when I'm not.

If you use a utlility like grep (there are windows versions as well) then you could parse your server log and filter for the login/logout messages that players make when entering/exiting the game. Would be relatively simple to do and it would provide you with the info you seek without logging in.

• Like 1

You could open Steam and look there, also useful when a new player arrives and there is no steam login associated with them.

11 minutes ago, Orsus said:

You could open Steam and look there, also useful when a new player arrives and there is no steam login associated with them.

Where do you mean when you say "look there"?  Do you mean the "Recently played with" tab?  If so, that would only work if I'd recently been online, and if they didn't have the privacy mod.

Or are you talking about a Steam group?  We don't have one.

Edited by Batta

3 hours ago, Nappy said:

If you use a utlility like grep (there are windows versions as well) then you could parse your server log and filter for the login/logout messages that players make when entering/exiting the game. Would be relatively simple to do and it would provide you with the info you seek without logging in.

I'm not sure what you mean. I looked up grep on Wikipedia, but I don't understand how I would apply it to find out who is online. Would you please explain?

Very late and I'm not the original responder, but I work with grep a lot at work. It seems like it would be rather a pain in the ass if you're not familiar with it.

If you look at server.log, it looks like these are the relevant lines for people coming and going:

[06:47:55 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.LoginHandler: /192.168.1.111,Rickart successfully logged on, id: 19865600.

and

[07:59:32 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.players.Player: Rickart lost link 5 secstologout.

So you would extract the names from the login lines to get a list of everyone who has been on your server, and then to find out who's on right now, you'd compare that with a list of the people who have logged out. It's actually a bit complicated since you will likely have people coming and going and you have to check for whether there are more login lines than logout lines, for example, or check for whether their logout line is more recent than their login line to find out if they're still on.

I don't know how often the server refreshes server.log, but if it holds months of data, your script to extract this info will also run slower and slower as it has more lines to work through.

As for the DB, it looks like there's a HISTORY table inside wurmlogin.db, but it appears to have no entries in my copy, and I didn't see anything in wurm.ini that seemed like a way to turn that on.
In wurmplayer.db, there is the LASTLOGOUT column inside the PLAYERS table, which might update each pulse, or it might not update until they properly log out, in which case you can't use it.
There's also PLAYERHISTORYIPS in wurmplayer.db, and its LASTUSED field which might update also. Your best bet might be PLAYER_LOGIN_EVENT_LOG in wurmlogs.db, except it once again appears to be blank right now. Note that my server is currently offline, so these blank tables might be populated when it's actually running.

19 hours ago, myarta said:

PLAYER_LOGIN_EVENT_LOG in wurmlogs.db, except it once again appears to be blank right now. Note that my server is currently offline, so these blank tables might be populated when it's actually running.

This is blank on my database, too, even though the server is up & running.  Oh well.