Sign in to follow this  
Maximillian

Affinity stones

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

It's not a market for "Everyone"  it's a market for people like me that play 2-3 accounts at a time, all day, every day.  I'm still against it, because I'm of the belief that affinities should be earned, not bought.

Where do you stop with that logic? Should all rares be earned, not bought? Should all tools, enchants, and so forth be earned, not bought?

I really disagree with that. :P

1 minute ago, Roccandil said:

Where do you stop with that logic? Should all rares be earned, not bought? Should all tools, enchants, and so forth be earned, not bought?

I really disagree with that. :P

I would be perfectly fine if rares could no longer be created.  (Sure, you can still turn tools rare by improving them).  Enchants are an every day occurence, so you're comparing apples to oranges there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

I would be perfectly fine if rares could no longer be created.

That would make me sad. :(

Enchants are an every day occurence, so you're comparing apples to oranges there.

Rares and affinities can be "earned" through repeated effort and luck, just like top of the line 100+ enchants. Rares and affinities can also be had with almost no effort, also like 100+ enchants. :P

That's the nature of RNG. :) Even so, I see no reason why RNG rewards shouldn't be sellable, especially when people can spend a lot of time to get them.

• Like 3

HUGE +1 to a method of selling/trading affinities but I see one issue with the method of removing it. If I had a "Place holder" alt to hold an affinity, would I still get the 1/500 chance thing to get an affinity with the affinity role happens, rather than the 1/1000 (I forgot the exact numbers) as if its a second affinity. 

Anywho, Along with what Etherdrifter said, People sometimes get affinities they don't want. If its something like weaponsmithing on a person who was just making a bunch of arrowheads (is that possible? not sure but imagine it is) and the person does not want the affinity, its kinda lame to force it to stay on that person. Maybe the person doesn't care about the 10% bonus or the skill in general. Maybe they are just a fletcher. Maybe a person is already 90+ and satisfied with their skill and would consider selling the affinity. If you get an affinity you want that is great. If you don't get one you want then its just there, but it would be great if you found somebody who would purchase it from you.

• Like 1

How long has it been since affinities have been coded to be given from crafting? 3 months? And people are already asking for ways to make money out of them. The first point of the change was to prevent players from selling them, and the second point was to eliminate alt farms. They gave non pvpers a way to obtain them in exchange. Isn't that enough?

5 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

How long has it been since affinities have been coded to be given from crafting? 3 months? And people are already asking for ways to make money out of them. The first point of the change was to prevent players from selling them, and the second point was to eliminate alt farms. They gave non pvpers a way to obtain them in exchange. Isn't that enough?

Are you saying -1 because affinities from crafting is new, people are aiming to put some useless things to use (some people don't care for their affinities) and because being able to get an affinity should be good enough? Should people wait 3 more months to suggest something?

Honestly, given the nature of the Wurm economy, and the new mechanic for earning new affinities, I'd find it odd if it -didn't- happen eventually, it just fits too well. :)

7 hours ago, Yiraia said:

Are you saying -1 because affinities from crafting is new, people are aiming to put some useless things to use (some people don't care for their affinities) and because being able to get an affinity should be good enough? Should people wait 3 more months to suggest something?

No. I am saying -1 because selling affinities was one of the two reasons the devs changed the mechanic, and here people are suggesting they be allowed to market them. How quickly we forget.

Always fun to read other peoples thoughts on things. I think it's a good idea and should be added. I cannot understand any of the -1 logic attempts, wurm is a long grindy game... I guess it always has been but what is trading a affinity actually going to harm other then a few elitists feelers because they're no longer the only person with 5 yoyo affinities.

Edited by Maximillian

20 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

No. I am saying -1 because selling affinities was one of the two reasons the devs changed the mechanic, and here people are suggesting they be allowed to market them. How quickly we forget.

I think there is a solid difference between:

1.  Creating a character, checking if it has the affinity you want and, if so, levelling it up to steal/sell its affinity (high risk of scamming), otherwise abandoning it
2.  Getting an affinity awarded to an existing character on a semi-random basis based on what a character was doing at the time, and then crafting an item if one wants to sell the affinity (low risk of scamming).

The former is a mechanic that encourages abuse of the system (a reward for PvP), the latter is a mechanic that takes the sting out of getting an affinity you don't want.

As a side point; it might be interesting to have each skill linked with a god and requiring the rune to be enchanted in some way by a priest of that god to be able to transfer the affinity,  Another reason to have a local priest ^_^

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

I think there is a solid difference between:

1.  Creating a character, checking if it has the affinity you want and, if so, levelling it up to steal/sell its affinity (high risk of scamming), otherwise abandoning it
2.  Getting an affinity awarded to an existing character on a semi-random basis based on what a character was doing at the time, and then crafting an item if one wants to sell the affinity (low risk of scamming).

The former is a mechanic that encourages abuse of the system (a reward for PvP), the latter is a mechanic that takes the sting out of getting an affinity you don't want.

As a side point; it might be interesting to have each skill linked with a god and requiring the rune to be enchanted in some way by a priest of that god to be able to transfer the affinity,  Another reason to have a local priest ^_^

You bring a good point. However, the biggest issue for most of the time was people farming affinities off their alts, not making new ones. Some players had been doing it for years.

My gripe with affinity transfer is that it would even further enhance the pay to win aspect of the game. If people can simply buy them, then why grind/pvp for them? People would just go to the forums, buy affinities for their next skill, and get an easier time than someone who grinded without it. Its the same as an xp potion in a f2p game, or buying lootboxes, with the only difference that it does nothing for the community as a whole: instead of providing revenue for the developers, it goes to fund another player's slush fund.

23 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Selling the affinities wasn't the issue; the issue was the auto-regen of affinities once sold, so affinities could be infini-farmed. That's done, and I don't see anyone suggesting bringing -that- back.

Selling a PVE-awarded affinity would -not- result in the auto-regen of an affinity, however, and so I have no problem with the idea of selling PVE affinities. For that matter, people can buy accounts, and an affinity is much less than that. At least in the case of an affinity the buyer is making a commitment to play the game for a while.

hi it's me again, -1. If you believe you should sell/be able to buy an affinity you miss the point.

14 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

You bring a good point. However, the biggest issue for most of the time was people farming affinities off their alts, not making new ones. Some players had been doing it for years.

My gripe with affinity transfer is that it would even further enhance the pay to win aspect of the game. If people can simply buy them, then why grind/pvp for them? People would just go to the forums, buy affinities for their next skill, and get an easier time than someone who grinded without it. Its the same as an xp potion in a f2p game, or buying lootboxes, with the only difference that it does nothing for the community as a whole: instead of providing revenue for the developers, it goes to fund another player's slush fund.

I actually somewhat agree with you; but then surely you must also object to notion of players dropping money for an easier time skilling via CoC and (to a lesser extent) sleep powder, as both of these are strong pay to win aspects of the game (granting a massive 4x skillgain rate when combined, the paying player having a longer duration than the non-paying player)?

I would be ok with rmt being outlawed, sure. But thats a different discussion.

Mclovin, what is the point? People have mentioned the so called point a time or two with no explanation, enlighten me please...