Sign in to follow this  
Maximillian

Affinity stones

I was thinking now that affinities are attainable by just doing actions it would be cool to make it marketable. Maybe use a rune to remove and store a random affinity but only if they have more then 1 to stop alt farming. You could then sell/trade the runes and it'd work in a similar way runes work now but maybe based on mind logic for the successful chance to gain the affinity.

• Like 1

How is this any different than taking alts to Chaos and killing them for affinities?  

*edit* Oh... it IS different.... now you don't even have to sail to Chaos and risk your main getting killed.

Edited by Wargasm
  • Like 1

I'm not sure killing a random alt for affinity was ever the big issue, maybe I'm wrong tho. I just don't see affinities having anything to do with chaos anymore so it'd be nice to be able to trade me time for something I actually need/want, or trade one affinity for another like from a priest to a crafter and visvera.

Edit: for the record, my main lives on chaos and is actively in pvp when the chance arises so... That's not my motive

Edited by Maximillian

-1 people would just make 10 prem alts and farm their affinities all day long.

13 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

-1 people would just make 10 prem alts and farm their affinities all day long.

I've gotten like 5 affinities over my 8 alts since the system came out 2 months ago, if someone wants to pay for all those alts and spend all day every day grinding them for a few affinities a month all the power to them.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

I've gotten like 5 affinities over my 8 alts since the system came out 2 months ago, if someone wants to pay for all those alts and spend all day every day grinding them for a few affinities a month all the power to them.

Here's the thing. Those 5 affinities were meant for those particular accounts. If you get your way with stupid ideas like affinity stones, people will just level mine with 10 alts all day and have 10*the chance to get an affinity than a guy who can't afford / doesn't want to pay for 10 prems. Even if you had 100 accounts and only 1 affinity, you shouldn't be able to change that affinity over to another account because the system is not meant that way. I also think its quite balanced , my friend did Botany for 2 days and got an affinity, but what if he did it with 5 accounts at once? Well the system says that its harder to get them when you already have some in that skill, but with affinity stones he can just pass them around from other characters??!? It's a bad idea.

+1 sure.. somebody might benefit from those random puppeteering and milking affinities..

But should be storable only if you have 2+ affinities and if the chances to reattach the affinity has a very high difficulty, i would say something higher than what rune creation chances have.. both for storing and transfering.. make it a big gamble, so that in case you have 4-5 body affinities that you want to bicycle around your toons, you will eventually lose them all to rng.. Also might have them attached to gems/star gems (ql should matter) so those will have other uses as well..

1 minute ago, Gladiator said:

Here's the thing. Those 5 affinities were meant for those particular accounts. If you get your way with stupid ideas like affinity stones, people will just level mine with 10 alts all day and have 10*the chance to get an affinity than a guy who can't afford / doesn't want to pay for 10 prems. 

You can already go to chaos and kill your alt for one of their affinities if they have 2 or more, so hows taking one out and putting it in a stone to trade any different? If you can pay for 10 premium accounts just to farm affinities i'm sure you could just buy an account that already has skills grinded up.

4 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

you shouldn't be able to change that affinity over to another account because the system is not meant that way

The affinity system in its first revision the only way to get one was from killing another account, the system is very much meant that way.

5 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

Well the system says that its harder to get them when you already have some in that skill, but with affinity stones he can just pass them around from other characters

All forms of earning affinities are harder/have a chance to fail and destroy enemies affinity without giving it to you so stones would probably work the same way.

2 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

You can already go to chaos and kill your alt for one of their affinities if they have 2 or more, so hows taking one out and putting it in a stone to trade any different? If you can pay for 10 premium accounts just to farm affinities i'm sure you could just buy an account that already has skills grinded up.

No. You cannot. It is now illegal to do so. I mean you can go to chaos and kill your alt but it would get you banned. 

3 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

The affinity system in its first revision the only way to get one was from killing another account, the system is very much meant that way.

No, the system is meant to allow you to farm your affinities on freedom, by doing the task a million times or by killing enemy players on Chaos. And i mean enemy players, not kingdom ally alts, not your own alts, it has to be enemy players. Right now, that is the policy.

-1 affinity stones sounded cool first, but the way you are proposing it i gotta say no, we just got rid of alt farming and basically this is same crap but in other form and without even slightest risk.

I mean, it would be cool to have affinity stones where u can obtain a random affinity, but that should be a mission or event where you could get 1 stone = 1 random affinity that wont be tradeable in anyway. Maybe even in 2 tiers, tier 1 basic skills and tier 2 would be slighty harder to get and would contain 1 of the main body or soul skills.

• Like 1

+1. It's hard to get a new affinity. If someone has the money/time to grind multiple toons just to get them, that's fine by me.

7 hours ago, Gladiator said:

No. You cannot. It is now illegal to do so. I mean you can go to chaos and kill your alt but it would get you banned.

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/160341-wsa-slain-affinity/

Until those changes are enacted we will be watching for anyone orchestrating ‘meta-PVP’ slayings for fight skill and affinity farming.  Anyone found to be doing this vile ‘meta-PVP’ activity shall be banned!

• Like 1

Like it was said above, we just got rid of alt farming. Given how hard it is to get an affinity during pvp now, I am completely against any revision to market it. Grind your own affinities as its meant to be.

It's not against the rules to farm alts anymore... That was fixed, so that's not a good argument anymore. Other then the grind your own affinities, is there any other argument why it's a bad idea?

it's not against the rules because there isn't a mechanic to support it. We just got trading affinties reliably removed and you're adding a mechanic to support the selling of affinties, see the conflict of interest here?

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 1

Mass abuse was removed. Also it would not be 100% chances so, you could even have the exact same % chances as death affinities if you wanted.

4 hours ago, Mclavin said:

it's not against the rules because there isn't a mechanic to support it. We just got trading affinties reliably removed and you're adding a mechanic to support the selling of affinties, see the conflict of interest here?

"Trading" affinities was an issue because another would automatically regenerate in its place. That's gone.

This suggestion is to allow selling affinities that are earned through grinding, which makes a great deal of sense economically. Even a newbie can get a good affinity that's worth something to an old timer.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

+1

Its a market everyone can get involved in.

Everyone?  Really?

Do you genuinely think people that take 10 seconds to saw planks are likely to get as many affinities as a master carpenter doing it?  And if you had 30 carpentry for example, would you be more inclined to sell it than if you already had 99 carpentry?  I don't think so.

It's not a market for "Everyone"  it's a market for people like me that play 2-3 accounts at a time, all day, every day.  I'm still against it, because I'm of the belief that affinities should be earned, not bought.

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

Do you genuinely think people that take 10 seconds to saw planks are likely to get as many affinities as a master carpenter doing it?  And if you had 30 carpentry for example, would you be more inclined to sell it than if you already had 99 carpentry?  I don't think so.

I dunno...  If I got one while sawing a log up for pegs?  I'd probably want to sell it since trying to level carpentry (even with an affinity) based solely on creation ticks is impossible :P (my carpentry isn't even 30)

You're a priest.... of course you don't want a carpentry affinity.  You are a special circumstance.  And I'd like to emphasize the word special.

I don't like the thought of people gaining an affinity they won't use to be able to sell it.... but at the same time, you are going to mostly get affinities in skills that you care about because that's what you do every day.

Prime example.... I was helping a buddy remove an iron vein on his deed that was in his way.  We had 3-4 toons banging on that vein, smelters turning the ore into lumps... and my toon being a high skill blacksmith was the one standing back turning the lumps into ribbons (since the lumps are already hot... why not).   BAM-  blacksmithing affinity.  Gee, thanks Wurm, that ought to help me get that last .25 skill I need to get to 100.

Edited by Wargasm
  • Like 1