Sign in to follow this  
Gwyn

Separate Beverage Affinities

As things stand now, there's little reason to pursue beverages, whether as a producer or consumer. It's far easier to level hot food cooking and far quicker to make high-quality affinity food which will give far more total affinity time than, say, a barrel full of beer. 

My suggestion is simple: separate temporary food affinities from temporary beverage affinities (meaning, for example, you can get a 10% buff to mining skill-gain from your custom affinity pizza and another 10% buff if you find a beverage that gives the same affinity, for a total of 20%). This will take beverages out of competition with pizzas, etc. – where they are hopelessly outmatched – and create a gameplay reason to make the extra effort that brewing, distilling, and so on requires.

Edited by Gwyn
  • Like 15

+1 Also give as way to generate more affinities from some beverages like vodka and moonshine(add fruit and berry flavours).Also add pineapple flavour to all existing flavours(seriously who wouldnt drink that)

• Like 2

+1 I really like this idea, really makes beverages worthwhile

i'll throw a +1 on this as well.  Beverages do have some advantages over cooked food (longer timers at lower qualities, much easier to store, some do not decay even when unsealed) but these are overshadowed by the use of small or large magic chests that a lot of the older players have.  A boost to beverages isn't a bad idea.

Edited by Demonix
adding stuff
  • Like 1

+1 provided it includes all beverages, and not just alcoholic ones, please and thank you

• Like 2

It sounds like a good idea, until you realize you can just sit there sipping on drinks with no 'downside' (It doesn't hit nutrition). So essentially you can have a nearly permanent affinity(As long as you have more to sip on to keep you tip-topped). Then factor in food affinity, and you'd be getting double the affinity from food AND drink...which yeah, sounds great from a player perspective...but you know as soon as they notice that, they'll go and ding drinks somehow so they can't be perma-affinities...

Also, there's some kind of downside/upside to being drunk...you fail more often or something....so it creates more difficulty/more skillgain that way too...as long as you maintain a healthy balance of not too much to get smashed and start auto failing nearly everything action-wise.

I don't think we should be supporting alcoholism in any form. Virtual or otherwise. Implying that we're all a bunch of drunk dwarves sitting around smithing or something...imagine if a teen played this game and the strange beliefs they would walk away with from it...

So I'm on the fence on this one, yeah, I'd love more affinities/ability to double up affinities (Especially since I'll be a top end cook/beverage-maker in-game soon enough.) which would make it a +1 for me...but I also don't think we should be portraying alcohol in a 'good' light either...(As the child of an abusive alcoholic IRL) so that would make it a -1 from me. If we don't make the alcoholic beverages 'the thing to use' to skill, maybe I'd be more lenient, but it's currently implying we need to...and that's a 'No' from me.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Corsan said:

It sounds like a good idea, until you realize you can just sit there sipping on drinks with no 'downside' (It doesn't hit nutrition). So essentially you can have a nearly permanent affinity(As long as you have more to sip on to keep you tip-topped). Then factor in food affinity, and you'd be getting double the affinity from food AND drink...which yeah, sounds great from a player perspective...but you know as soon as they notice that, they'll go and ding drinks somehow so they can't be perma-affinities...

Also, there's some kind of downside/upside to being drunk...you fail more often or something....so it creates more difficulty/more skillgain that way too...as long as you maintain a healthy balance of not too much to get smashed and start auto failing nearly everything action-wise.

If I recall correctly, they also give no CCPF, so the nutrition aspect is also a double edged sword. Food affinities can also be managed to be "perma-affinites", although it would be a bit harder if you supplement with refreshes to keep the nutrition up. Perhaps the timer for being drunk vs. affinity timer can be tweaked to make striking the balance harder if you want to maintain a beverage affinity, to the point where keeping the buzz up makes you too drunk to skill effectively. Since thirst goes down quite quickly, it could give affinities equally for each sip, as opposed to food that takes 1 bite to grant most of the time possible and then just add a fractions of that time for each successive bite.

22 minutes ago, Corsan said:

I don't think we should be supporting alcoholism in any form. Virtual or otherwise. Implying that we're all a bunch of drunk dwarves sitting around smithing or something...imagine if a teen played this game and the strange beliefs they would walk away with from it...

The last century called, they want their rhetoric back.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Corsan said:

imagine if a teen played this game and the strange beliefs they would walk away with from it...

I showed my neighbor this game and he sacrificed my cat to regen favor

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Corsan said:

Totally get where you're coming from, but I remind myself that not everyone who drinks does so problematically.  Some people can ingest flammable liquids... alcohol without going overboard.  I couldn't personally see how anyone manages that.  It sounds like outright torture to me, but then I've always felt the liver is evil and should be punished.

I would focus my efforts on ensuring there are alternatives such as lemonades, flavored milks, juices, teas, etc.  If you think about it, that in itself is not a bad lesson for the teens you might worry about.  End of the day, just because it's in front of them doesn't mean they have to use it, it's ultimately up to them in the moment.  The sooner they learn they can make, and stand by, their own individual choices regardless of what's going on around them, the better, imho.

30 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

I showed my neighbor this game and he sacrificed my cat to regen favor

You know, never thought about it, but ever since the troll down the street from me started playing Wurm, I've had to lock my front door.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Corsan said:

Implying that we're all a bunch of drunk dwarves sitting around smithing or something

I think we found the elf spy. Grab em pitchforks and torches boys.

• Like 5

Hope the "don't promote alcoholism was a joke" lol. I jumped off of buildings several times before grooming animals for a much larger timer. If it was possible, I would cut myself with a sacrificial blade. But anywho, drinks wouldnt be OP if this buff was in play. 

+1 to this.  I was working on brewing for a while before I realized that pizzas were so much more useful.  It really ruined my interest in doing it.

On 3/15/2018 at 9:12 AM, Flubb said:

If I recall correctly, they also give no CCPF, so the nutrition aspect is also a double edged sword. Food affinities can also be managed to be "perma-affinites", although it would be a bit harder if you supplement with refreshes to keep the nutrition up. Perhaps the timer for being drunk vs. affinity timer can be tweaked to make striking the balance harder if you want to maintain a beverage affinity, to the point where keeping the buzz up makes you too drunk to skill effectively. Since thirst goes down quite quickly, it could give affinities equally for each sip, as opposed to food that takes 1 bite to grant most of the time possible and then just add a fractions of that time for each successive bite.

No CCFP is easily gotten around by taking a single bite of certain high QL meals which instantly put all CCFP bars to max (For example, cookies I made in the past, one quick bite would instantly 100% each of the CCFP bar), then you can eat whatever would give you the affinity you want for food side.

I'm more frowning on the 'Being a little drunk helps you skill more effectively' thought process/way the skill has been added to the game with an increase in difficulty and therefore more skill-gain before a steep drop/lots of failures from being smashed drunk. It's like college kids who buy/steal people's ADD drugs to study more effectively because it increases their focusing ability.

If we don't support that, then I'm all for this suggestion. (Though like I said, they'll probably nerfstick it because they'll realize it's kind of over-powered/there isn't really a huge downside to it.)

On 3/15/2018 at 9:12 AM, Flubb said:

The last century called, they want their rhetoric back.

On 3/15/2018 at 7:56 PM, bdew said:

I think we found the elf spy. Grab em pitchforks and torches boys.

I realize my opinions on alcohol aren't 'the norm'. I also know that alcohol is a depressant in real life, so people who drink are often adding misery on top of their life problems that tend to make them want a drink. I'm not referring to people who 'sip a little'. A little alcohol is actually proven to be 'healthy'/adds years onto people's lives. Nowhere does it state that drinking a little bit helps you learn better, which is what Wurm is currently implying. In RL, the opposite is true...the more alcohol you consume, the more brain cells are damaged.

On 3/15/2018 at 9:29 PM, Yiraia said:

Hope the "don't promote alcoholism was a joke" lol. I jumped off of buildings several times before grooming animals for a much larger timer. If it was possible, I would cut myself with a sacrificial blade. But anywho, drinks wouldnt be OP if this buff was in play. 

I have a problem with that too in most games. In Wurm, we're implying that self-harm (Which often is associated with suicidal ideation) is effective in creating a better learning environment. In other games, people jump off high buildings without even a wound or something because fall damage is often removed. This gives people a false sense of their limits. Which is why I prefer games that actively show you harmed yourself (LOTRO back when...if you jumped off a ledge that was too high, it would give you a broken legs or hurt legs debuff, depending how far you fell...which would slow you down/seriously hinder your movement speed. Falling too far just outright killed you.).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsan said:

I realize my opinions on alcohol aren't 'the norm'.

That wasn't remotely the point. It's the power of influence you attribute to games that is absolutely backwards. I don't disagree with your view on alcohol in real life at all from what you've described, I don't think anyone would. But to go and say that someone would look at this arbitrary affinity system and think that this, in any capacity, transfers to real life, is rather outlandish. Food works just the same, so why would it even try to mean anything when when it comes to beverages giving affinities? (The food affinities aren't exactly realistic either. There's no market for quantum physics chili recipes in real life.)

Either way, Reylaark's suggestion to make more beverages than just alcoholic ones would put a final nail into that coffin and completely dispel that interpretation you're worried about.

It may even be neccessary...someone who's into the affinity mining stuff with the scores provided by different ingredients might shed some light on this, but do beverages currently even have enough variation as a whole to reliably cover the whole spectrum of possible skills? Beverages seem quite limited in their available ingredients compared to food, so I'm actually concerned if you can even get an affinity for every single skill with them.

• Like 1

+1 for me especially on making more flavors of things. I got a lot of strawberries laying around. :) However, I think looking at how alcohol mechanics work is not a bad idea either.

• Like 1