Sign in to follow this  
BrimstoneVomit

Wild Animals on Slopes

I get a little dismayed when a legion of horses (and other domestics) inhabit the sides of mountains, 40+ slope. Being a weird sight is one thing, but being unreachable for hunters to cull numbers is kind of a pain. So many domestics, I understand, can and will suppress hostile spawns.

Is it possible to give spawns a behavior that leads them off steep slopes?

Say, if one spawns and they're standing on a tile where two borders are 30+ slope, force their next move toward a lower corner (not necessarily the lowest).

In case this leads to crowded tiles on isolated ridges, cliffs, etc, continue to force movements to lower corners, even if the crowded tile has borders with lower than slope 30. Just to disperse them.

• Like 7

+1 yes please! I've lost track of the number of times my alliance has had to retrieve corpses from mountain tops for me because I died trying to climb up to get an animal...

• Like 1

Bows help with this but I wish that it did not happen.

+1. Most cattle (other than mountain goats :P ) should probably avoid rock, sand, and pavement.

+1 falling to your death because you ran out of stamina while climbing after a horse shouldnt be a thing. Since when horses can climb better than mammals with opposing thumbs?

+1 The thing I find most irritating with this is the fact that if you are riding a horse, they won't go up the same ridiculous slopes that they can apparently go on their own. Some could say "we're just too heavy for them", but then:

10 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Since when horses can climb better than mammals with opposing thumbs?

• Like 1

I always +1 this suggestion everytime it shows up.

So here you go

+1

+1 I find it udderly rediculous that gravity only applies to wurmians while mobs are immune to it. Even if all the mobs "fell" while on the steep slopes, the wounds they got would then kill them and should in theory repopulate the servers in other non sloped regions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pingpong said:

+1 I find it udderly rediculous that gravity only applies to wurmians while mobs are immune to it. Even if all the mobs "fell" while on the steep slopes, the wounds they got would then kill them and should in theory repopulate the servers in other non sloped regions.

+1 to raining cats and dogs

Lets also have them avoid steep slopes in general, otherwise folks who live at elevations would get further penalised (life is tough enough as it is)

This suggestion revolves around the mobs movement/spawn problems we've had on the servers for a long time. They've tried the 'Have them go to a lower slope' thing and it led to them sitting on coasts in massive herds/getting stuck there. They've tried a few other things. I'd love to see them finally come off the mountains, especially since I live with a few server height mountains by me. The downside is, that I only have a very small valley in by me and would mean I'd almost never get anything. (I don't anyway, so it's kinda moot at this point.) I'm also on the coast surrounded by water on x3 sides, and never ever see anything in the water at all on Xanadu. I haven't seen a single water mob down here since I moved in almost 2 years ago.

So yeah, they still need to fix these issues. Get them off the mountains, get the water mobs moving around to where they are properly populating the server. Don't let them go run up a mountain in fear from us. (I don't even bother chasing them anymore when I see it happen unless it's something I really need...)

The new system of tagging tiles with threat level numbers should basically create a 'wall' of impenetrable numbers where they couldn't even go up mountains in theory...but the downside to this would be that if they perceive something down below as more threatening, they'd pass over it, and start climbing again...and would never be able to pass back unless something was up above/on the other side threatening them. It essentially creates another problem...

So yeah +1 to having them fall and die on high slopes. I'd be fine with the server forcing a lot of animal deaths if it instead forced respawns/repopulation of the servers. Then the big batches at the tops of mountains would eventually wittle down and you'd end up with a small herd on a plateau...so someone living up top could manage survival also.

• Like 2