Sign in to follow this  
Perryn

Herb Question for the Devs

So Nutmeg, Nettles and Sassafras are the only 3 herbs that are not replantable.  Just curious why the decision is to have these singled out and none plantable.

• Like 1

why make botanizing a skill if everything can be gardened

• Like 1

Woad planters are on everyone's minds.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Yiraia said:

why make botanizing a skill if everything can be gardened

botanizing for the people who don't want to garden? Gardening for people who don't want to botanize?

• Like 2

growing herbs in planters could require botanizing skill instead of gardening, because the "herbs need special care"

The idea behind some herbs and spices being forage only is to make some of the items (and dishes that use them) a bit harder to get, thus introducing a bit of extra rarity, and also to keep foraging and botanising useful for something other than dyes.  From memory, cocoa beans and nutmeg were 'things that came from far-off lands', although I don't remember if that bit of lore ever made it in.

We didn't want everything to be easy to get.  I get that not everyone agrees with that approach, but that was the design decision behind it.  There's nothing you can't live without that relies on any of those particular herbs and spices, so it's all optional content rather than forced grind.  Those particular ones were chosen because cocoa is the root of chocolate (and a nut) and sassafras is one of the higher-potency healing cover ingredients.

• Like 2

Come to WU we have cookies.... and plantable everything mod  (cocoa, herbs, spices, shrooms, woad, etc.) :P

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pandalet said:

The idea behind some herbs and spices being forage only is to make some of the items (and dishes that use them) a bit harder to get, thus introducing a bit of extra rarity, and also to keep foraging and botanising useful for something other than dyes.  From memory, cocoa beans and nutmeg were 'things that came from far-off lands', although I don't remember if that bit of lore ever made it in.

We didn't want everything to be easy to get.  I get that not everyone agrees with that approach, but that was the design decision behind it.  There's nothing you can't live without that relies on any of those particular herbs and spices, so it's all optional content rather than forced grind.  Those particular ones were chosen because cocoa is the root of chocolate (and a nut) and sassafras is one of the higher-potency healing cover ingredients.

It's like if we asked for armor or weapons to be made with blacksmith skill, to make it "fair".  Cocoa, nutmeg, and sassafras are all sold pretty cheap, by a few different people, compared to weapons, too. 

• Like 4

Carving knives and butchering knives are made with weapon skill, which is by far harder to raise than any other skill in the game. Yet they are tools. Point is, feature is used in other skills, not just gardening/botanizing.

From an immersion perspective, keeping a few items from being growable/cultivatable, just to help out botanizing/foraging, seems arbitrary. If, on the other hand, botanizing and foraging found items that -couldn't- realistically be replicated/regrown given Wurm's technology level, that would be cool. :)

3 hours ago, Roccandil said:

From an immersion perspective, keeping a few items from being growable/cultivatable, just to help out botanizing/foraging, seems arbitrary. If, on the other hand, botanizing and foraging found items that -couldn't- realistically be replicated/regrown given Wurm's technology level, that would be cool. :)

Agreed. Removing the ability to do something simply for the sake of "balance" is silly, especially when that balance could be achieved in a much more sensible way.

10 hours ago, Budzilla said:

Agreed. Removing the ability to do something simply for the sake of "balance" is silly, especially when that balance could be achieved in a much more sensible way.

Given what's being balanced here is something that's entirely optional, why do we care?  If you're anything like me, you have loads of those forage-only herbs rotting away in a FSB anyway.  Unless you're doing some serious cooking, you never need more than a handful.  Or is there something so OP that needs one of these herbs that it's effectively not really optional anymore?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wonka said:

Given what's being balanced here is something that's entirely optional, why do we care?  If you're anything like me, you have loads of those forage-only herbs rotting away in a FSB anyway.  Unless you're doing some serious cooking, you never need more than a handful.  Or is there something so OP that needs one of these herbs that it's effectively not really optional anymore?

In my case, I use meal calculators which most of the times have nettles, sassafras, and nutmeg in them.  I would much rather plant everything i could possibly need and stock it up than have to forage/botanize for hours to get a few of everything.  My forage/botanize grind was on epic, so now that I've been on freedom nearly half a year with my nerfed/regained epic skills, I have thousands of 100ql vegetables of all kinds, tons of 90ql things ripped from planters, everything except a tiny handful of those 3 things said before.  And before someone suggests, no I'm not interested in having to pay someone else for their stocks, and odds are they will be low ql and ql matters quite a bit for food affinities, which is the main and only use I have for them

Ultimately for people like me with this use, when the tiny stocks run dry they will just keep clicking to generate a new meal that has none of these ungrowable things which only serves the purpose of making these items become nothing but a distant memory, all because some things had to be "rare" with "lore"

• Like 1

The question is, if you take these things away, why bother to have forage/botanise at all?

It becomes vastly superior to use gardening/farming, which are both OP as it is (in terms of production ability).

Edited by Etherdrifter

On 3/11/2018 at 5:45 PM, Pandalet said:

The real reason?

I thought it was because you were out of bytes or something and had to leave these things out.

It does not make things any harder, it just adds tedium to gathering these resources.

The only useful things for botanizing and foraging is putting coins in noobie pockets.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 3:28 AM, bdew said:

Come to WU we have cookies.... and plantable everything mod  (cocoa, herbs, spices, shrooms, woad, etc.) :P

How much do I have to pay these Wurm Online developers to add QoL, it's sad really.

58 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

The question is, if you take these things away, why bother to have forage/botanise at all?

It becomes vastly superior to use gardening/farming, which are both OP as it is (in terms of production ability).

You give it a high end craft like woad planters and other items. You give the pick action for these items botany skill and maybe higher levels the ability to get more than a few per plant. If they're really afraid it's going to mess with there dye business, then control it. Limit how many can be made per tile like how beds work. Work around the issue instead of being lazy. Thanks.

Make it very hard to make, 70 botany skill, 70 pottery to make a large planter.

Edited by Niki

12 hours ago, Niki said:

How much do I have to pay these Wurm Online developers to add QoL, it's sad really.

Maybe you should whine some more about how it's not fair, and the devs don't care about your personal qol; I bet that'd make those pesky devs sit up and take notice!

12 hours ago, Niki said:

You give it a high end craft like woad planters and other items. You give the pick action for these items botany skill and maybe higher levels the ability to get more than a few per plant. If they're really afraid it's going to mess with there dye business, then control it. Limit how many can be made per tile like how beds work. Work around the issue instead of being lazy. Thanks.

Make it very hard to make, 70 botany skill, 70 pottery to make a large planter.

No doubt you'd then moan about how your qol is destroyed by having to grind skills to get a few optional extra bits.  Oh wait, you're already doing that.

14 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

I thought it was because you were out of bytes or something and had to leave these things out.

That's false, you can literally plant every item in game if you set the right flag, there's ton of space for it.

1 hour ago, Wonka said:

Maybe you should whine some more about how it's not fair, and the devs don't care about your personal qol; I bet that'd make those pesky devs sit up and take notice!

You making it sound like only niki complained about that... Just go search the suggestion forums how many people asked for plantable woad...

30 minutes ago, bdew said:

You making it sound like only niki complained about that... Just go search the suggestion forums how many people asked for plantable woad...

I'm not saying it's a bad suggestion, or that it's only niki asking, I'm taking issue with the way he/she complains, turning everything into a personal slight, like the devs personally care to screw with him/her.  This sort of thing is probably why it's so hard to get a direct comment from a dev - when they do step in to answer a player question (like here), they get a load of insult about how they're stupid, can't design stuff properly, etc.  I love seeing the thinking behind stuff, even when I don't agree with it, so I'd like to see that sort of post encouraged, not crapped on.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MrGARY said:

In my case, I use meal calculators which most of the times have nettles, sassafras, and nutmeg in them.  I would much rather plant everything i could possibly need and stock it up than have to forage/botanize for hours to get a few of everything.  My forage/botanize grind was on epic, so now that I've been on freedom nearly half a year with my nerfed/regained epic skills, I have thousands of 100ql vegetables of all kinds, tons of 90ql things ripped from planters, everything except a tiny handful of those 3 things said before.  And before someone suggests, no I'm not interested in having to pay someone else for their stocks, and odds are they will be low ql and ql matters quite a bit for food affinities, which is the main and only use I have for them

Ultimately for people like me with this use, when the tiny stocks run dry they will just keep clicking to generate a new meal that has none of these ungrowable things which only serves the purpose of making these items become nothing but a distant memory, all because some things had to be "rare" with "lore"

I'm "not interested" in paying someone for lots of things, but since I don't want to make them, I do. Why should some people's decision that some skills aren't worth their coin decide how the game is played? I hate farming, so I forage/botanize, but I'm not telling the devs we need to get rid of farming, or make my skills go faster so it's fair just to me. If I want higher QL veggies or whatever, I buy it from someone else (and yes, there are sellers with high QL forage/bot herbs. They advertise.). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wonka said:

I'm not saying it's a bad suggestion, or that it's only niki asking, I'm taking issue with the way he/she complains, turning everything into a personal slight, like the devs personally care to screw with him/her.  This sort of thing is probably why it's so hard to get a direct comment from a dev - when they do step in to answer a player question (like here), they get a load of insult about how they're stupid, can't design stuff properly, etc.  I love seeing the thinking behind stuff, even when I don't agree with it, so I'd like to see that sort of post encouraged, not crapped on.

How do you expect positive change if no one speaks up? Hardly anyone in this community does, either they're passive or afraid to damage reputation from posting, who knows? I'm not afraid to post suggestions or advice. There was never any slight intended, quit reading my posts viciously and literal. I want betterment for this game, I'd love to see woad planters, docks, machinery, chicken coops, and more. Will it ever be added? Likely not. This game is old, i'm not sure why we get so much dye stuff but nothing new to obtain dye from...

Thanks for the post. :)

• Like 1

I think the trouble is largely trying to keep a few things from being bulk manufactured by the thousands and thousands. 

I would really love to see a differentiation between affordable mass quantity production, vs. the craft version lovingly made with wild ingredients on a small homestead in the mountains.

For an example many will appreciate:

http://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/10598/westvleteren-monks-angry-with-dutch-supermarket-chain-selling-its-beers

Brewery in question: https://sintsixtus.be/trial/

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambic   which can only authentically be made in Belgium as it uses naturally airborne yeast for fermentation.  That's even worse than having to forage or botanize isn't it? :lol:

"This beer can only be made on Pristine.  You see dark dungeons."

And for those like me who think drinking responsibly is the most ridiculous oxymoron you've ever heard : http://www.cocoametro.com

Which the closest thing to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocomel that I've been able to find in the States.