Sign in to follow this  
Corsan

Confusion over Archaeology

So, I've been steadily working on my archaeology, and I managed to get my skill up to 41+ arch...and I was reading Wurmpedia, and it says...

When finding a fragment, you may get a message in the event tab stating information on past settlement locations. The higher your skill level in Archaeology, the more information you may receive.

• At 30+ Archaeology you have a chance to see the name of one of the settlements at that location:

You can see multiple markers of abandoned settlements here. Based on your knowledge of the area and small hints you can find, one of the settlements must have been called Sunnyvale.

• At 40+ Archaeology you have a chance to see the name of the last mayor:

You can see signs of a single abandoned settlement here. Based on your knowledge of the area and small hints you can find, the settlement must have been called Splash Point. You find a scrap of washed out parchment signed by the last mayor, Badgirl.

...so I'm wondering why every time I check any spot, I'm still getting either "[23:19:14] You can't find any traces of any abandoned settlements here." or "[00:33:07] You can't quite make anything definitive out, but there may have once been a settlement here."

Does this only work where the token used to be? Or is my archaeology broken somehow?

You can get "positive" reading (as in, getting info about deed) based on chance - the higher your skill is, the better chance to get a reading (and more accurate one) is.

39 minutes ago, Corsan said:

Does this only work where the token used to be? Or is my archaeology broken somehow?

Those messages is from my Archeology when i started , it is not often i got them in that skill range mentioned, so there is a chance as Warlander says.

With higher skill you may see it more often.