Sign in to follow this  
Cindylou

Animal Troughs

Animal troughs of different size's would be easy to make, saw on a log [___________] , [___] [_____] and then a caving knife to hollow out the center a little since animals are all ready Al to graze, so set the coding to graze? If there is no grass, to graze on they will use the troughs, and maybe you guys out there would have better suggesting to coding?

• Like 4

+1

This could really help with animals that don't currently graze such as pigs and chickens. It would be good if troughs also kept food fresher longer than dropped piles, and had a 'nearly empty' graphic so we know when to refill. If animals would eat from these troughs, this would really help when a player can't guarantee to log on every day to manually feed their animals or unpack tiles, such as when going on holiday. Perhaps troughs would therefore enable more players to keep a wider variety of animals, healthier, for longer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Muse said:

+1

This could really help with animals that don't currently graze such as pigs and chickens. It would be good if troughs also kept food fresher longer than dropped piles, and had a 'nearly empty' graphic so we know when to refill. If animals would eat from these troughs, this would really help when a player can't guarantee to log on every day to manually feed their animals or unpack tiles, such as when going on holiday. Perhaps troughs would therefore enable more players to keep a wider variety of animals, healthier, for longer.

From the devs perspective, that's the opposite of what they want. They want you to be logging in every day so you are more likely to want to keep doing so and keep paying them for their game. If you're not logging in, they want your animals to die off so if/when you do log back in, it takes an extra effort/more time on the game to go find more/breed more/expend more time on the game. Why do you suppose things like farming and the time it takes and/or the 'daily' check your herb planters type stuff is added?

They don't want your animals to live nearly indefinitely.

Regardless, I would love to see something like this implemented as it would be easier on us players.

I also don't think the animal AI is up to the task of seeking out food...most of the animal AI in this game is pretty ahem....using the literal definition of the word...retarded. I've seen a pig that I lead out of my deed and let free just sit there in the same spot for over 2 weeks...and eventually starve. I've watched animals that had 2 tile pens sit on the packed tile rather than move to the grass portion. Not counting if you threw together a free range pen, and happened to breed a youngster...the youngster would bounce off the walls continuously until it triggered over half the pen to be packed. I constantly run into wild animals who could/should be out on grass tiles eating/have fat tags who don't even have a moniker because they are constantly standing on the wrong tile type and can't find food to graze to get fat...as they are just randomly moving about.

So yeah, I doubt the mechanics of the game as they currently stand would even make this effective, but I'll +1 the idea for the hope that they may fix a lot of these issues and get our animals functional and we can feed them easier.

15 hours ago, Corsan said:

From the devs perspective, that's the opposite of what they want. They want you to be logging in every day so you are more likely to want to keep doing so and keep paying them for their game. If you're not logging in, they want your animals to die off so if/when you do log back in, it takes an extra effort/more time on the game to go find more/breed more/expend more time on the game. Why do you suppose things like farming and the time it takes and/or the 'daily' check your herb planters type stuff is added?

They don't want your animals to live nearly indefinitely.

Regardless, I would love to see something like this implemented as it would be easier on us players.

I also don't think the animal AI is up to the task of seeking out food...most of the animal AI in this game is pretty ahem....using the literal definition of the word...retarded. I've seen a pig that I lead out of my deed and let free just sit there in the same spot for over 2 weeks...and eventually starve. I've watched animals that had 2 tile pens sit on the packed tile rather than move to the grass portion. Not counting if you threw together a free range pen, and happened to breed a youngster...the youngster would bounce off the walls continuously until it triggered over half the pen to be packed. I constantly run into wild animals who could/should be out on grass tiles eating/have fat tags who don't even have a moniker because they are constantly standing on the wrong tile type and can't find food to graze to get fat...as they are just randomly moving about.

So yeah, I doubt the mechanics of the game as they currently stand would even make this effective, but I'll +1 the idea for the hope that they may fix a lot of these issues and get our animals functional and we can feed them easier.

well if that is indeed the dev's intent, and reasoning behind it all, I'd say that's pretty cheeky, Because a lot of us I am sure, take breaks for what ever reason, I just had to take such break because one of my RL beloved pet had to be put to sleep, It messed me up for two days, so I didn't log in much, but when I did, I found myself with a lot of catch up work to do, unpacking tiles, feeding no longer "fat" animal's, if this be  their true reasoning behind this,then I am sorry, I will leve the game I love so much, =( =(

Edited by Cindylou

this would be great inside mines. 
cave dwelling has boomed thanks to developments over the last year.
there have been a few threads asking for Funghi / heterotrophs / mycelium inside mines, so far they've failed to gain enough attention.
animal troughs would empower us to keep our livestock inside caves. 

big +1 

14 hours ago, Cindylou said:

well if that is indeed the dev's intent, and reasoning behind it all, I'd say that's pretty cheeky, Because a lot of us I am sure, take breaks for what ever reason, I just had to take such break because one of my RL beloved pet had to be put to sleep, It messed me up for two days, so I didn't log in much, but when I did, I found myself with a lot of catch up work to do, unpacking tiles, feeding no longer "fat" animal's, if this be  their true reasoning behind this,then I am sorry, I will leve the game I love so much, =( =(

Sorry to hear that, always sucks to lose an animal IRL. My condolences. I've been through it before.

As for the game, it is a business, and as such they need to try and keep players playing/active/wanting to login so they'll have a reason to pay for it. I personally disagree with the tactic, but it is what it is. Many games employ the same means.

Pretty sure the 'fat' tag takes RL months to fall off, if it ever does once they've managed to achieve one. (I have a croc I use for taming that I used to feed that I haven't even fed for nearly a RL year that still has 'fat' tag...it is cared for so it won't die either.)

We have made suggestions numerous times over the years pointing out how stupidly easy it is for the animals to pack things and how once they've packed it, re-planting it and getting it to go back to 'wild' grass takes a lot of work/how they often just re-pack it because it starts at 'short' grass...and essentially your animals are starving/you're losing a battle against the game code continuously, but it's fallen on deaf ears/they won't do much about it.

I'm not trying to get anyone to quit the game, I actually would rather more people play/enjoy it (As I have for nearly 4 years.), but there are some issues that need addressed. I hope you stick around.