Sign in to follow this  
whereami

Client doesn't load

Every time I attempt to start WU, after starting up my personal server (which occurs without problem), I click connect to... you know, actually play the game. I get about 5FPS for roughly 2 seconds and then the entire game stops responding; my only choice is to close out the game. Have made no recent changes to my hardware or software. Uninstalled and re-installed WU only to see no difference.

Everything I have is updated as recently as possible as far as software goes; I have the newest versions available of Java, nVidia Drivers, OpenGL is working fine. There is no crash log or error generated by WU for me to post, since the game simply stops responding... it is not crashing.

What gives?

Going back to second newest Nvidia might help.

I just find that a bit ironic since Wurm (Online OR Unlimited...) doesn't even acknowledge GPUs when present in the system.. So why the hangup on drivers? >.<

>""Wurm (Online OR Unlimited...) doesn't even acknowledge GPUs when present in the system""

I am not sure what that means -- Wurm does acknowldge and use the GPU and is rather selective about drivers. Are you talking specifically about laptops with switchable graphics? (ie, intel + Nvidia/Radeon). If so, the reason it defaults to intel is because the graphics drivers are written (by AMD/NVidia) to detect whether a program is a game or an application, and they are programmed to see anything Java as a desktop program.   Desktops have an easier time running it in part because desktops usually only have one GPU type, so do not need the driver to try to differentiate between a "game" and an "app".  You also can set the laptop to run ALL programs on the advanced gaming card, but it will run through battery power faster that way (not an issue if you use a wall adapter for power), Laptops with switchable graphics were designed to run longer on battery power alone, but as a tradeoff, they use a cheaper intel card to save power and they are a little more fidgety with some programs especially Java.

cecci is likely right about the probably cause, as the latest NVidia drivers are suddenly causing issues in the game and most people roll back to the ones prior to the newest.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

This solution posted in the discussion board on Steam worked for several people

Graphics Tab

1. Use Windowed Resizable

2. Turn Frame Limiting Off (uncheck it)

Post Processing Tab

check all three boxes

• Like 1

Thank you Explora, you have solved my problem! My bad for not checking the steam discussion boards first; I sometimes forget there are other places for discussion on WU.

Thread can be closed

Edited by whereami