Sign in to follow this  
Fairyshine

Dedicated hunting server

With the introduction of highways it made servers small, and small servers tiny.  Everyone can easily get anywhere and deed.  Mobs don't spawn close to deeds (most times).  I would like to request a server dedicated to hunting with buffed mobs, increased spawn rates and no deeds allowed. 

Would be awesome for the dedicated Wurmians who regularly need a hunting fix (or those of us who need cochineals so would be looking for a cave bug spawn).

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 3

It doesn't sound practical.  I'm saying this because not only would you need increased spawn cap, you'd need increased spawn rate.  Players both pvp and pve alike would constantly keep it cleaned out of life.  I imagine most would venture over to find it devoid a good majority of the time and they're time sailing to get there wasted.

Similar to when folks cross to a server now and find the big desert completely empty and full of corpses at times.

Edited by Nomadikhan

55 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

It doesn't sound practical.  I'm saying this because not only would you need increased spawn cap, you'd need increased spawn rate.  Players both pvp and pve alike would constantly keep it cleaned out of life.  I imagine most would venture over to find it devoid a good majority of the time and they're time sailing to get there wasted.

Similar to when folks cross to a server now and find the big desert completely empty and full of corpses at times.

The people who would keep it cleaned would be the ones who love to hunt and cannot find enough mobs or even challenging mobs for single players.  Currently I know of quite a few people who regularly sail between servers in search of things to hunt (many times they are disappointed as either the locals with deeds on those servers already killed most or there are just so many deeds that people can't find mobs around as mobs won't often spawn close to deeds.)  A bunch of people came to live on Release as it had great hunting spots, but now there are hardly any left. 

Obviously people won't have to use the hunting server if they don't want to, but having it as an option would be fun for those of us who would like to go hunt over there.  It could open up more options for rift like creatures to roam the lands, or even brand new types like polar bears, wasps, poisonous frogs, fiery ants or giant lizards (mini dragons which can be bested by one player with uber skills.)

12 minutes ago, Fairyshine said:

The people who would keep it cleaned would be the ones who love to hunt and cannot find enough mobs or even challenging mobs for single players.  Currently I know of quite a few people who regularly sail between servers in search of things to hunt (many times they are disappointed as either the locals with deeds on those servers already killed most or there are just so many deeds that people can't find mobs around as mobs won't often spawn close to deeds.)  A bunch of people came to live on Release as it had great hunting spots, but now there are hardly any left. 

Obviously people won't have to use the hunting server if they don't want to, but having it as an option would be fun for those of us who would like to go hunt over there.  It could open up more options for rift like creatures to roam the lands, or even brand new types like polar bears, wasps, poisonous frogs, fiery ants or giant lizards (mini dragons which can be bested by one player with uber skills.)

Don't misunderstand me, as I'd be over there too :)    I'm saying with ALL of us that would want to use that server, it would consistently be empty... at times to the point we are left to wonder if it's working and useful.  Remember those cookie cutter MMO's where you go to a zone and see 14 people standing around competing for spawns.. the very second you see a wolf spawn it's already claimed by someone... that's how I imagine this server, decoid of life or already being cleared by multiple people regularly.

I like the idea of a hunting server, don't get me wrong, but I also see the other side of it where I could waste an hour of sailing to get there and find it practicly empty of mobs to kill if it's not large enough.

Edited by Nomadikhan

Xanadu, especially the north part of it, has all the mobs anyone could ever want or need.. And even if you kill all that you can find in an area, they will spawn back in a week or so.. it's the perfect hunting server :)

Edited by faty
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, faty said:

Xanadu, especially the north part of it, has all the mobs anyone could ever want or need.. And even if you kill all that you can find in an area, they will spawn back in a week or so.. it's the perfect hunting server :)

Was thinking more along the lines of respawning every hour.

• Like 2

If the hunting server could have new tameable animals that fit in animal crates and can be taken to other servers, then I'm all for it :D

+1 no deeds, no terraforming no building, just lots and lots of mobs all the time, increased spawn rates. sounds like the best server you could ever add.

• Like 1

+1 of course! :D

At least tents got added. :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Attenia said:

If the hunting server could have new tameable animals that fit in animal crates and can be taken to other servers, then I'm all for it :D

the point of a hunting server is to hunt, not collect and ruin the use of the server.  if it happens, animal crates should be disabled

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

the point of a hunting server is to hunt, not collect and ruin the use of the server.  if it happens, animal crates should be disabled

If the animals spawn as much as every hour as suggested, I couldn't possibly take enough to make a difference to hunting even if I tried. And I wouldn't be trying, I'd only be taking a male and female of each condition.

again that is not the point of the server

+1 to animal crates being disabled for such a server

• Like 3

4 hours ago, armyskin said:

again that is not the point of the server

+1 to animal crates being disabled for such a server

Yes, agreed.  Just a server full of mobs that respawn back to the animal cap every hour, very few non aggros except a few horses maybe, so we can at least get something to run away with.  Perhaps on such a server normal horse speed can be upped? Or cart speeds upped? 

Fences could be allowed and dropping tents, but no deeds.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

Yes, agreed.  Just a server full of mobs that respawn back to the animal cap every hour, very few non aggros except a few horses maybe, so we can at least get something to run away with.  Perhaps on such a server normal horse speed can be upped? Or cart speeds upped? 

Fences could be allowed and dropping tents, but no deeds.  

no fences cos human nature being what it is we will see fenced off areas etc but +1 to the idea of a separate hunting server with horses only non aggressive animals allowed :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vaske said:

-1 explore moar! 

Did that too. Still think that this is a good idea.

Regardless of the highways which have been around for quite some time, there are more than enough mobs to hunt on the smaller servers and you can still find plenty of mobs on the larger servers (excluding Xanadu; Because why is that still a thing? Sorry Xanadu).

I just sailed down a short stretch of coastline with 50+, champs, hounds and what not on Cele, yesterday in the opposite direction along one of the old highways, just as bad... Yet, the other day I had someone visit my place "Ohh, not many mobs around since these deeds have popped up" (1 small deed recently popped up), well, of course, mobs avoid deeds, especially ones with Templars, that leaves other areas dangerously jam-packed with mobs. Yet the nearby hunting ground was packed with mobs. I was on Indy a few months ago, the hunting grounds don't take long to get to and they're often packed, not to mention the highways can be quite dangerous.

It doesn't take much effort to go wandering for a kill, especially with  1) smaller servers, 2) what seems a lower player base than ever logging in, meaning less competition for mobs. Its never been easier to find something to kill (speaking as someone who survived the great animal crisis years an' years ago) and its never been easier to reach other servers by sea and boat plotting. Players are already spread thinly enough without removing more activity from the current servers. We do not need more 'ease of gameplay' and casual disregard for what gaming means (effort/challenge, reward = fun).

The game is built around exploration and survival, with that in mind; The resources are there in an absolute abundance, pull a finger out and go explore more.

Don't be a hater, it's just my opinion. o/

1 hour ago, Drathania said:

Regardless of the highways which have been around for quite some time, there are more than enough mobs to hunt on the smaller servers and you can still find plenty of mobs on the larger servers (excluding Xanadu; Because why is that still a thing? Sorry Xanadu).

I just sailed down a short stretch of coastline with 50+, champs, hounds and what not on Cele, yesterday in the opposite direction along one of the old highways, just as bad... Yet, the other day I had someone visit my place "Ohh, not many mobs around since these deeds have popped up" (1 small deed recently popped up), well, of course, mobs avoid deeds, especially ones with Templars, that leaves other areas dangerously jam-packed with mobs. Yet the nearby hunting ground was packed with mobs. I was on Indy a few months ago, the hunting grounds don't take long to get to and they're often packed, not to mention the highways can be quite dangerous.

It doesn't take much effort to go wandering for a kill, especially with  1) smaller servers, 2) what seems a lower player base than ever logging in, meaning less competition for mobs. Its never been easier to find something to kill (speaking as someone who survived the great animal crisis years an' years ago) and its never been easier to reach other servers by sea and boat plotting. Players are already spread thinly enough without removing more activity from the current servers. We do not need more 'ease of gameplay' and casual disregard for what gaming means (effort/challenge, reward = fun).

The game is built around exploration and survival, with that in mind; The resources are there in an absolute abundance, pull a finger out and go explore more.

Don't be a hater, it's just my opinion. o/

We did pull a finger out and did explore, unfortunately what is left is not enough to keep the peeps who really really love hunting, occupied.  As always, when a request is made, people who do not want to use the requested item, are welcome NOT to go to the hunting server.  Those who would love it, can go.  It won't affect other people's game play as it does not bring a game wide change to the way things are imped, created or harvested.

Love to know where you are exploring because I can't get a break from mobs on any of the smaller "hunting" servers that already exist.

The players are part of the gameplay, the items and skills you bring back, are part of the gameplay, they affect other players, they effect the economy (big or small) and it would spread players out even further... Its a sandbox survival MMO (Keyword: MMO) with emphasis on your actions affecting the environment and people around you.

What is being asked for is an even easier no-build map with an even more insane spawn rate (without the understanding of how the current system works?) than what we already have access to that will further devalue the achievement of gaining resources and skills.

3 hours ago, Drathania said:

Love to know where you are exploring because I can't get a break from mobs on any of the smaller "hunting" servers that already exist.

The players are part of the gameplay, the items and skills you bring back, are part of the gameplay, they affect other players, they effect the economy (big or small) and it would spread players out even further... Its a sandbox survival MMO (Keyword: MMO) with emphasis on your actions affecting the environment and people around you.

What is being asked for is an even easier no-build map with an even more insane spawn rate (without the understanding of how the current system works?) than what we already have access to that will further devalue the achievement of gaining resources and skills.

Release used to be one of the smaller "hunting" servers, but no more.  Many of my friends go to other servers to see if they can find anything.  The people I am talking about are trying to get from about 95 fight skill up to 100, some are on 99 and spend hours roaming around looking for new hunting fields.  These players travel from the south of Release through to the North where there are lots of mobs, but also not really enough spawn to keep them going for more than a few hours, then they have to wait a few days for it to fill up again.  If you have a few such players, which is currently the case, it becomes difficult to find enough.  I guess it also does not really help that a lot of the mobs are stuck on slopes where nobody can get to them, or if the servers don't reset for longer periods of time, but the point is that this suggestion is to open a server dedicated to hunting which has quicker spawn rates, perhaps beefed up mobs and no deeding allowed.

A lot of the WU servers have areas or even whole servers like this, I thought it would be fun to have it in WO too.  It is mmo yes, but as you know a lot of players actually grind their own skill and don't really play in groups a lot of the time, which is fine too.  Wurm suits a lot of different playstyles.  Someone who grinds mining has options to find a specific type of vein and stand alone for hours, grinding mining.  Someone who wants to grind fishing has the option to find different fishing spots and catch for hours.  Someone who wants to grind leatherwork makes a lot of stuff and imp these, alone, for hours.  None of these things require "MMO" in the true sense of the word, yet Wurm accommodates these playstyles.

It is fine if you do not agree with the suggestion, but perhaps other players do, and if it provides fun for those who would use it, then what is the harm to those who do not ever want to go there? As far as I can see, it will provide fun for some and it won't harm others.  I don't really want this to turn into a big debate, it was merely a suggestion, and like everything else, it is up to the developers to think about how they want the game to develop, players can only say what they think would be fun and leave it at that.

Edited by Fairyshine

There already is a dedicated hunting server. It's called Pristine and it has 2 big-ass deserts full of mobs

DXl8T4G.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/9/2018 at 9:42 AM, Vomusu said:

There already is a dedicated hunting server. It's called Pristine and it has 2 big-ass deserts full of mobs

Sure, let me go hunt these fine mobs that obviously give very good weapon skill.

RJLogKx.jpg

Also, maybe I'd like to kill more than, you know, some scorpions, crocodiles, and the occasional troll. This is Wurm, not Australia, after all. :D

• Like 2