Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

Teleport to Starter Village and Return Home

In the Character window bottom left side is a Character with various options such as Profile that show when clicked. Two more options should be added to it.

Teleport to Starter Village.

Return Home.

They would serve those purposes. No limits to their use other than in combat. Maybe exclude from pvp servers if a problem for them.

When I was reading another thread about no one going to a Starter Village Market it brought to mind this option (which is available on a WU server). So having these options in WO could help a lot in this aspect, as well as creating an easily accessible "gathering place" for social interactions.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Uuuh...lemme get out that 10 foot pole for this one...

1 hour ago, Ayes said:

So having these options in WO could help a lot in this aspect, as well as creating an easily accessible "gathering place" for social interactions.

That's a good premise, especially for hermit Xanadu. Giving some significance to the starter towns other than spawning there, preferably once, and never returning, that is.

But fast travelling with impunity and without cost or effort of any kind is something I don't see being received very well, or fitting for Wurm. After all, 'Recall home' is the level 12 meditation ability across the board. So that's a very significant ability to just give out freely, coming from the status quo. And that has a 12 hour cooldown, too.

I'd rather see us being able to let the wagoner AI take over and let us ride via highway that way. At least it takes the playermade infrastructure and still has some time investment during which you cannot do anything. Perhaps added risk if AI mobs do not ignore you during the trip, too. And has some incentive for more travel in general (I reckon most people don't enjoy steering a drifting cart over a virtual road for hours on end.).

Could give a speed boost to your own home deed and starter towns, with the wogic reason that they are "well known spots" that one can get faster to, somehow. That'd honour the premise of making starter towns a bit livelier again, which I'm on board with, but easy teleports like that? Not so much, sorry.

Edited by Flubb

Yup, this is going to get a lot of hatered from the status quo-ians of wurm.  Every teleport suggestion to date has been hammered for soley that reason.

I'd +1 this, mostly because it'd help make the scattered communities feel more connected without suffering the drama close neighbours often cause.

• Like 1

There is already a random teleport and a once a day teleport home with meditation paths and can use karma to teleport home.

Going from what Flubb was saying and something I've thought about.

Maybe wouldn't mind seeing how we could hitch a ride on a wagoneer for transportation.  Don't make it faster than if you ran there yourself so not really abused or makes us get too lazy.  Not sure how to handle mobs near the road unless they would ignore you.  Could have message like "[00:00:00] You hide inside the wagon as a mob approaches to avoid being seen" and the wagoneer keeps going down the road.  Have it to where you cannot jump out at any time and have to go all the way to destination.  Have a minimum destination you can use a wagoneer for.

OR......  Can only use passenger wagoneer from starter town to starter town.  Would only really work for Xan though, but Xan is big enough to make this a cool exclusive feature.  Give some new life to starter towns after remodels.

15 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

OR......  Can only use passenger wagoneer from starter town to starter town.  Would only really work for Xan though, but Xan is big enough to make this a cool exclusive feature.  Give some new life to starter towns after remodels.

Giving life to starter towns shouldn't be a Xan exclusive imho. If there'd be such rather arbitrary restrictions, at least allow the travel to ones home deed, too, so that commuting to starter towns is incentivised on all servers.

56 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Yup, this is going to get a lot of hatered from the status quo-ians of wurm.  Every teleport suggestion to date has been hammered for soley that reason.

I'd +1 this, mostly because it'd help make the scattered communities feel more connected without suffering the drama close neighbours often cause.

I most certainly don't agree with some of the pathological naysayers who just cannot stand anything being more convenient or different. But as valid as the problem proposed here is, it's a bad solution to give out free teleports just like that, rendering long established mechanisms obsolete. Not because of "muh status quo", but because it's essentially a kick to the balls for those who went the long route to acquire the fabled home teleports by getting that karma or even better/worse, meditating to reach rank 12. This entails a discussion about how teleports could be handled differently altogether, and this suggestion just skips over it.

I'm just gonna play devils advocate: What happens to the existing mechanisms if this would be introduced?

3 hours ago, Flubb said:

I'm just gonna play devils advocate: What happens to the existing mechanisms if this would be introduced?

It's a good question; what about replacing it with something else more suited to meditation?  An extra skill for each path; thus making meditation worthwhile, and freeing up a very useful mechanic.

As for Karma, that needs a solid rework.

I've never used it but my understanding is that the med ability, teleport home, can be used from anywhere. And the farwalker twigs & stones work somewhat like the old UO mark/recall except they're not reusable.  A teleport to and from the starter deed would in no way negate either of those. 

WU is living proof that teleports haven't harmed the wurm experience in any way. Quite the opposite.  It's enhanced the game and people explore, and gather, and help each other more freely & frequently than in WO, as well as visiting the starter towns more often, some of which are living functional towns.  It's been very enlightening and like a breath of fresh air.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

I like the idea of a wagoner offering passage to deeds or even just starter towns. Allowing mobs to attack during it is pointless as most (even skilled players) would likely die on long journeys 

also what happens if I crash during transit (considering how common crashes are) or even if I had to log out suddenly but am smack dab in the middle of a 35 minute trip?

should we allow offline travel? (Similar to alts in boats as passenger I guess).

but if I can hop on a wagoner and log out. Then log in after arrival you might as well just skip it and go straight to insta-travel. Which I’m not sure I’m on board with. 

5 hours ago, Amadee said:

I've never used it but my understanding is that the med ability, teleport home, can be used from anywhere. And the farwalker twigs & stones work somewhat like the old UO mark/recall except they're not reusable.  A teleport to and from the starter deed would in no way negate either of those. 

WU is living proof that teleports haven't harmed the wurm experience in any way. Quite the opposite.  It's enhanced the game and people explore, and gather, and help each other more freely & frequently than in WO, as well as visiting the starter towns more often, some of which are living functional towns.  It's been very enlightening and like a breath of fresh air.

And I thought Ayes meant for these teleports to be used from anywhere, too, as implied by tying it to ones own body. If the option was bound to, say, deed tokens, this restriction would be a bit more intuitive. And I agree, then it wouldn't be problematic, at least in my opinion.

Addendum: Should still have a cooldown, so people don't do this constantly on a whim. You should always make sure you have everything before you go anywhere, that's a big thing about the experience in ingame travel imo, and a reasonable cooldown would enable this just fine.

Edited by Flubb

i am not against teleportation, but it should costs something.. maybe a tiny bit of karma 

people will use this to meet at starter town to trade their sleep bonus or convert someone and then jump home. 

nice to have i guess

oh and yes on a countdown, not huge but like 20 minutes or something. so people dont just hop around.

Edited by elroth

6 hours ago, Flubb said:

And I thought Ayes meant for these teleports to be used from anywhere, too, as implied by tying it to ones own body. If the option was bound to, say, deed tokens, this restriction would be a bit more intuitive. And I agree, then it wouldn't be problematic, at least in my opinion.

Addendum: Should still have a cooldown, so people don't do this constantly on a whim. You should always make sure you have everything before you go anywhere, that's a big thing about the experience in ingame travel imo, and a reasonable cooldown would enable this just fine.

Well, maybe he did mean that, I'm not sure. For myself, I would like that. But I know that the typical WO mindset of prevention, hindrance, and the requirement that everything must be a pita, would mean it probably will never happen.  I think that to and from the starter towns would probably have a better chance of being accepted.

On the WU servers there are a number of variations on the teleports, ranging from none to super easy. Some WU servers have the WO mindset I mentioned and some don't. (On more than just the teleport idea. Hell, one I heard of even has perma death, lol, but that's the beauty of wu. Something for everyone.). 

The ones that fit most into my own personal Goldilocks zone on the teleport issue are the ones tied to the highway system. But once connected to a highway, you can freely teleport to any other deed that has opted in by building a portal, placing a waystone on deed, and connecting to that particular highway system which generally includes a starter town. Some servers have also built portals in a couple of the farthest reaches of the server. Places that without the portal system, odds are no one would ever bother trying to get to.

The idea I've seen floating around of tying into the highways but requiring the long travel times, imo, would negate having the portals in the first place. The idea is to eliminate the travel times and allow people to get together to hunt, trade, or whatever, without having to spend an entire day to do it. A good example is something I saw on one server where a dragon or some such creature (forgot now) spawned on a guy's deed. People ported over and there was a fine group helping the guy rid his deed of the pest. It was loads of fun. In WO, the outcome would have been very different indeed.

But as I said, the WO mindset would prevent anything like this from ever happening, I'm sure.  So I think that teleports to and from the starter deeds would at least be a happy medium.

Edited by Amadee

Yep, my suggestion was just a simple teleport ability to teleport to the Starter Villages (from wherever you might be at the moment) or to teleport to your own deed (Return Home, from wherever you might be at the moment). So I see it as pretty restrictive in terms of those 2 destination choices only. A mild option in comparison to some WU server teleporting abilities.

As it would be added to the Character window Profile section everyone would be able to access it. Of course if you have no deed you can't "Return Home" from wherever you might be but still the Starter Village teleport would be available. No cooldowns involved except for in combat restriction. Just to clarify...

=Ayes=

• Like 1

-1 if its free with no cooldowns..

+1 with small karma charge and short cooldown.