Sign in to follow this  
Ryanwew

Ingots for Efficient Storage

We already have smelters, so let's give them another use, on that would complement their bulk nature! When a player puts lumps in a smelter and heats them up to glowing hot, they will get an additional action "Smelt" this will convert the lumps in the smelter into ingots. Each ingot will require 20 Kg of lump and will produce 1 ingot which will also weigh 20 Kg. Ingots have some benefits, such as heavily reduced decay and would take up less volume in storage. Ingots do come with one downside, to be converted back into usable lumps, ingots would have to be heated back up in a smelter, then using the second action "Melt" this would convert the ingot back into 4 equally weighted lumps. The ql of the lumps when creating the ingot would be averaged out, so would the damage. But upon creation of the ingot, any damage would be removed and converted into lost end result, at a ratio of 5 damage per 1 kg lost on final ingot. When the ingot is melted ql is preserved and it is split into 4 parts, if the starting lumps are not damaged, each would weigh 5 Kg. Any damage the ingot received would be once again converted into lost weight upon melting. 

So what do you think?

TL;DR convert lumps into a more efficient storage unit which prevents decay 

The base idea is not a bad one, but pretty niche. Given how many lumps you can fit into a BSB already, I'm not inclined to believe this is really needed. Unless you have massive, massive amounts of lumps. And I'm sure even then most people would prefer to add another BSB instead, but that's conjecture. The volume reduction has to be quite significant to make it worthwhile.

Accounting damage as weight loss seems a bit contrived, it could simply be percentual loss of quality. That'd be more in line with how quality and damage works in the rest of the game.

Also, and this is probably a nitpick and you haven't thought over the detail, but the hard requirement for a smelter instead of any heat source might be a turnoff. So you are working on your forge, need some iron from your storage. But if you stored everything as ingots, you need to put it in the smelter first, then split it, then move it to the forge, both fires that have to be maintained...sounds tedious.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't use this feature very much. The greatest benefit I see is effectively squeezing more lumps into one crate, but when I smelt, I smelt directly from the vein, and I want to have control over the quality levels I'm sorting into my crates or BSB I bring with me, and again, this feature would take a bit of control over that away again.

Overall, good idea, but very niche. Adds unneccessary tedium to normal every day tasks in your forge, but can be a boon for massive transportation and storage. Not sure if the scale of what it takes for this to be worth it is all that realistic, so I withhold a -1 and will rather wait if anyone finds himself having to store that much lumps and thinks this would help them, because I'm not exactly the target audience I believe.

-1 to overcomplocated for no significat benefit at all, not sure if any would use it tbh

• Like 1

+1 to ingots.-1 to everything after that. I would be happy with ingots weighing 5kgs. Making things using the metals with .1kg lumps is a pain with all of the combining. This would also mean that making mission structures wouldn't need crates for all the metal lumps since 50 lumps would be a single item and storable.