The metal-types look really cool. My brain is already turning over all the things that could be done with this. :)

Gold, obviously useless when made into the form of a weapon or armor, should probably have enhanced magical properties such as either being easier to enchant, or maybe the enchantments on Gold items could receive a % bonus to their effective power. Should also take more damage, more quickly when used as an armor or weapon.

Bronze was a sort of stepping stone to making Steel, so as such I think it should probably have similar properties but with reduced effect from that of steel. Buffing Steel's benefits right now would be great since the steel industry was recently DECIMATED by the creation of Iron Plate armor. Give us a REASON to use it!

Copper is extremely soft but rather conductive. Maybe more magical-related benefits like gold?

Brass, Tin, Lead, and Zinc I'm at a loss for (Zinc isn't actually listed here in your OP, will it be usable as well?) as they aren't particularly useful in the wurm world already, and there isn't a whole lot that could really change that IMO. (unless some significant changes are brought about with this update)

Now I'm going to start wishing we had Titanium in game! A metal as strong as steel, that would require 45% less weight in material to be used in creation of an item would be quite amazing, even if a bit OP. For the purposes of the game would probably need to be reduced to something balanced like 15-20%. Maybe this idea can be applied to another metal that already exists...

Edited by whereami
  • Like 2

It would be nice if iron didn't change in any way, so we don't have to get all new tools unless we want to. I don't have any cool legacy items, but aren't they worth more because they have the signature of a dev on them or are lighter? Are people buying gold tools because they yearn to imp with gold? Hopefully Retro can tell us if those items will be affected. 

Edited by NeeNee

Gonna make a bronze or copper sword so it looks like wood and run around like Link

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Neville brings up a good point: There are a lot of unique/legacy items around, for example, made out of bizarre materials. Changes to metal properties sound great, but what does that mean for, say, my supreme tin shovel?

Its still a great item that can be placed into a BoK. Isn't that enough tbh?

• Like 3

im not having content blocked because a few people won a free item and want to get greedy from it.
I'm all for the better of the game and people argue more customization the better, this brings that. 

I hope metals have an indepth system with how they work, interesting stuff.

Would be cool to see them react differently depending on the Metal type of rune added too, then we get into a world of lottery goodness.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, whereami said:

The metal-types look really cool. My brain is already turning over all the things that could be done with this. :)

Gold, obviously useless when made into the form of a weapon or armor, should probably have enhanced magical properties such as either being easier to enchant, or maybe the enchantments on Gold items could receive a % bonus to their effective power. Should also take more damage, more quickly when used as an armor or weapon.

Bronze was a sort of stepping stone to making Steel, so as such I think it should probably have similar properties but with reduced effect from that of steel. Buffing Steel's benefits right now would be great since the steel industry was recently DECIMATED by the creation of Iron Plate armor. Give us a REASON to use it!

Copper is extremely soft but rather conductive. Maybe more magical-related benefits like gold?

Brass, Tin, Lead, and Zinc I'm at a loss for (Zinc isn't actually listed here in your OP, will it be usable as well?) as they aren't particularly useful in the wurm world already, and there isn't a whole lot that could really change that IMO. (unless some significant changes are brought about with this update)

Now I'm going to start wishing we had Titanium in game! A metal as strong as steel, that would require 45% less weight in material to be used in creation of an item would be quite amazing, even if a bit OP. For the purposes of the game would probably need to be reduced to something balanced like 15-20%. Maybe this idea can be applied to another metal that already exists...

Technically drake is like titanium in wurm mechanics. Strong as steel , weighs 2 times less. 

As for the other metals, well, there's a lot of nice ideas what to do with them such as faster use timers for some metals, +% quality when imping with a special tool like a bronze hammer, etc. My issue is with these new additions , metallurgy will be a key skill to actually imp these items with new metals. Making steel/bronze/brass is still a ###### in game even for someone with 50-60 metallurgy. Will we get a new mechanic to grind metallurgy since create only is painfully slow?

My second question is related to pvp implications of new metal armors and weapons/shields? I do hope the dev team seriously thinks about balancing issues since if you give certain weapon types +% dmg vs animals or +% chance to hit, then what you'll do is rewrite pvp rules for gear. Moon metal weps might become a bit obsolete as such, which isn't such a big thing for some, but it will really undermine the work (and risk) some have put in gathering enough moon metal either from rifts or hotas to craft their gear. I'm all for making a balanced pvp environment (which right now we don't have) but you have to carefully consider the effects on creating new metas for pvp. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, elentari said:

My second question is related to pvp implications of new metal armors and weapons/shields? I do hope the dev team seriously thinks about balancing issues since if you give certain weapon types +% dmg vs animals or +% chance to hit, then what you'll do is rewrite pvp rules for gear. Moon metal weps might become a bit obsolete as such, which isn't such a big thing for some, but it will really undermine the work (and risk) some have put in gathering enough moon metal either from rifts or hotas to craft their gear. I'm all for making a balanced pvp environment (which right now we don't have) but you have to carefully consider the effects on creating new metas for pvp. 

I agree, but even more I'd like to see clear explanations of what each armor and metal type does, especially regarding resistances. Right now it's confusing (why, for instance, is studded leather so tough against crush on Epic? how is the DR percent bonus for steel and moonmetal applied?).

Making this sort of thing clearer will help new players.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, elentari said:

My issue is with these new additions , metallurgy will be a key skill to actually imp these items with new metals. Making steel/bronze/brass is still a ###### in game even for someone with 50-60 metallurgy. Will we get a new mechanic to grind metallurgy since create only is painfully slow?

as someone who grinded metallurgy to 72~+ on freedom.. I don't want the process to be made easier I want people to have to suffer like I d... just kidding. That was one of the worst grind of any skill and I didn't even take it to 90 like some crazies do. Given, I did mine in about 8 or 9 days but they were awful days filled with tons of creation, and the whole process of trying to manipulate your lumps to get them to give you skill is trash. Unless you get extremely lucky and find a few  1ql vein you're screwed.

• Like 3

Someone should mention that wurm online is sitting at 2600 subscriptions (down by 600 from a year before), what are you going to do to improve the game in a way to attract more paying players? 

We have these new features coming out every month, but for the most part nothing is tested before being released to live servers, so you have paying customers coping with bugs on every single new release and dealing with these things that don't get fixed, its like rush out a new feature and then move onto the next one each time before fixing the previous things.

Don't get me wrong, I like improvements to the game, but the testing side of things seem to be very lacking and I have been shot down for pointing out problems with new content in the past. I really think the testing should be done on the test server and new content should actually work when it goes live.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Neville said:

Metal Types

Not all metals are created equal. Granted. However, I've invested a lot of silver into acquiring rare tools (iron) over a period of time, imbuing them and runing them. Now, all of a sudden metal types have specific bonuses and penalties. I'm worried about how this is going to affect the 10+ rare, imbued, runed tools I have now. Are they going to suck after? Are they going to be better than before? Will they be worth less because now we have new metal types and the iron rares will depreciate hardcore in value? I'm somewhat concerned...

Heave ho!

you should sell all your things and delete your toons now... wurm is a game... if you want to invest, go visit a stock broker

Edited by Evilreaper
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, elentari said:

you have to carefully consider the effects on creating new metas for pvp. 

I'm sorry but, give me one example of a time where the Dev's actually did this. Because they don't, it's not too often a concern of theirs. lol. This is clearly a change that's only really been thought about from a PvE standpoint, that will definitely affect both server types heavily.

The bonuses to these kinds of items, I am HOPING is going to be within a relatively small range (Why I suggest 5 to 15%) so the actual benefit of using these items should be relatively negligible when it comes to PvP. This is obvious to cause a huge upset in the material types used for just about everything on PVP, even with only minor buffs added to the material types. PvP is about getting literally every advantage you can, even the small ones.

However seeing that their focus right now for epic is "stat changes" which will do absolutely nothing for Epic as a whole, it doesn't seem like they care much about the PvP side of things or the implications made by changes to the game, to the PvP portion of the game (which is consistent with the last 3 years of development) Seems like we kind of have a "just let it burn" mentality to PvP tbh.

So, does all utmost metals gonna be available on home servers or I need to portal to Elevation and search half of continent to find utmost copper and tin for my bronze plate armor?

Asking couse from few weeks searching for utmost copper on Elevation without success so far.

Maybe I'am just very unlucky.

Edited by Wilczan

sounds damn great. 

i need a golden huge axe, no matter if it needs to be sharpened ever dozen of hits ;)

9 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Someone should mention that wurm online is sitting at 2600 subscriptions (down by 600 from a year before), what are you going to do to improve the game in a way to attract more paying players? 

We have these new features coming out every month, but for the most part nothing is tested before being released to live servers, so you have paying customers coping with bugs on every single new release and dealing with these things that don't get fixed, its like rush out a new feature and then move onto the next one each time before fixing the previous things.

Don't get me wrong, I like improvements to the game, but the testing side of things seem to be very lacking and I have been shot down for pointing out problems with new content in the past. I really think the testing should be done on the test server and new content should actually work when it goes live.

Hear! Hear!  New players are needed indeed, as so many have fallen away - some targetted marketing is needed to the (possibly) slightly older, more patient, game player, who does not need instant gratification and prepared to persist with the challenges that Wurm Online presents to newbies and more experienced players alike.

Also it is all very well playing around with textures and metal types, but when, oh when are the long promised animal cages coming in ???  And can RNG be seriously looked into?  Please!  having a creation range of 0.89 to 95ql is just ridiculous, e.g. with transformation liquids.

And yes please:  Test!  Test and Test again.  I am still steaming about the loss of my WoA 102 cast on my rare saddle due to the untested saddle bags hurried release! :(

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Arium said:

Does this also affect combat attributes for glimmer and addy?

are there any plans to change the current attributes that already exist or just introduce new things for metals that dont have attributes yet?

20 hours ago, Aeryck said:

Will existing metal properties be changing? Or only adding properties to metals that had none? For example, my Glimmer Spear won’t change properties, right?

@RetrogradeAny answer to this?

• Like 1

Looking forward to all these updates!  

*whispers* slip in there bookshelves having container space ;) i want to store my almanacs and written documents in a proper place ;)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Perryn said:

Looking forward to all these updates!  

*whispers* slip in there bookshelves having container space ;) i want to store my almanacs and written documents in a proper place ;)

That would be cool then we could watch them decay away just like we watch our armor in armor racks, weapons in weapon racks, bows in bow racks, clothes in wardrobes decay etc etc etc . Come to think of it we need a shield rack also. Would be nice to be able to watch them decay in one place also.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Evilvision said:

That would be cool then we could watch them decay away just like we watch our armor in armor racks, weapons in weapon racks, bows in bow racks, clothes in wardrobes decay etc etc etc . Come to think of it we need a shield rack also. Would be nice to be able to watch them decay in one place also.

+1 to little or no decay in proper storage. (An additional +1 to mothballs!)

• Like 3

hopefully mac issue will be resolved. i still cant launch ,  getting insecure property (allownegativemousecoordinates).

Metallurgy should probably receive some sort of love with this update. Making it easier to level doesn't quite seem right to do, since many people have put a lot of hours in it. Increasing lump size at creation to .4kg for brass/bronze would help make it less of a hassle. No matter what, it'd be nice if all lumps were combined to be 1kg after being BsB'ed, rather than having to use a cauldron-full to make a single breast plate -- and it'd be necessary if we're going to be able to make large anvils with them.

Edited by williamwierd
  • Like 3

Awesome! Loving the colour things, a blue spinning wheel is in my future!

/me still hopes for more sheep colours

I'm looking forward to the new metals! When I get the chance I'm going to make the Golden Shovel of Justice ^_^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PumperNickel said:

I'm looking forward to the new metals! When I get the chance I'm going to make the Golden Shovel of Justice ^_^

"Pumper?" *Thwonk* "Pumper?!" *Thwonk* "PUMPER!" *Thwonk* "pumper are you even hurting any of those mobs?" ..... *Thwonk*

• Like 4