Sign in to follow this  
MrCoolMan

Price range what u think is fair in dyes discussion

So i want a discussion at this subject

ql 91 black or rgb 9 what do u ppl think its fair price

for us dye makers we need to collect highest acorns, and highest iron possible and i am at 57,2 alchemy for the tanin, i noticed at 85+ tanin ill make more ql 90 then below it, but alchemy is harder to grind the WS.

So when i tried to sell a sailboat at rgb 9 ppl just didnt looked what i was trying to sell only the price here.

I alwaysed kept my range in dyes at 30c/kg and i seen ppl adapt to that aswell. 

But black is another story u need to make high ql tanin = high alchemy, and after that high natsub, its acorns - iron as it is atm i burning tons of ql 100 mats.

When i tried to sell a boat with rgb 9 thats ql 91 black on wood and rgb 244 on sail = 91 ql there aswell, ppl says to me well its to expsensive, well ofc its is theese things dont go out cheap.

but hey i need a responce from rest of u guys i have 90,02 natsub and 57,2 alchemy and it taken me years to reach here, what do u think.?

the dyed boat i was trying to sell for 7s and that its cheap in my eyes.
VGiUHSR.jpg?1

I just find ppl dont understanding the hard work we dye ppl does.

everything like woads / cochineals  / copper / zinc need to be realy high ql that is u want a clear color on the thing u want, u need a base at so low rgb at possible and build from that. ( except zinc )

Edited by MrCoolMan

I think people who value good dye colours, will always pay a good price for dyes, because it they know that good dyes are so difficult to make well - but maybe these same people want to dye and customise their possessions themselves.

When people see a ready-dyed boat, maybe all they see is the boat (albeit colourful) and are reluctant to pay much more than typical 'boat prices'.  Separate the two items - boat and dye, and people are maybe better able to discern the individual values of the boat and the dye.

Something most people these days want is choice, and someone who can give them that choice - on what colours to buy - and, which items to dye, will perhaps be perceived as offering more value in terms of player satisfaction, than a ready-made solution with all options already decided.

Just an opinion! :) I've seen it first-hand - it's a lovely boat!

Edited by Muse
  • Like 2

here you can get a black dye for 30c/kg so yeah I think 7s is too much. You need like 6kg for th sailboat so its 1.8s. Natural substances is a really hard skill to grind, but so is weaponsmithing and you dont see people asking 7s for a 90ql weapon. It can take years to get to 90WS if somebody is not a grinder - it all depends on game style. And in addition, the market is pretty slow and all prices are going down lately so take that into account too.

• Like 5

I dont think you can really compare a crafting skill, theres no rng in making the weapon you make one and imp it with iron from a fixed vein that doesnt suddenly lower its ql as you go. The dye takes rng to gather, rng to make and could see you making 80x more than was needed because the final ql is unpredictable.

I dont have a clue when it comes to market prices but you can not compare chalk and cheese 

• Like 4

Yeah well maybe that was not a good example, I just thought about a skill that takes a long time to grind. Anyway, this doesnt affect the 30c/kg black dye price.

You mean the black dye Archaed named GM Black?

Taste that name.

well my target here is what u ppl think in dye prices and range, as it is to make dye its rather hard, so all input i can get is good

As someone with 63+ Nat Sub/36+ alchemy and 70+ forestry and 50+ foraging/botanizing (Meaning I get +/- 5 range QL goods from those skills...x3 from a decently aged tree or x2 and almost 3 goods from a grass tile....it really doesn't make me think there's much 'added value' to those items...if I get those skills up a bit more, I can regularly pull in acorns at decent QL..and if you harvest oaks, you get acorns also...so essentially you're just asking someone to pay you for the time you spent leveling those skills...which they generally scoff at..you wanted to level them, they didn't say you should...)

Yes, it would be nice if all of our work on a specific skill paid off, but most often, you get there and the market won't hold what you're hoping to price for.

As a boat builder (Just under 66 shipbuilding), I can seriously chuckle at your 7s price for a sailing boat. Those have always been going for 1.5s max for as long as I've played the game(4 years). Knarrs are barely selling for 7-8s nowadays, and you're asking for that kind of price for some dye slapped on the hull of a SAILING boat. Those same people could probably recruit someone on their server to put a good QL dye on it...or just buy it from someone/apply it, for way cheaper.

I do salute you for getting your nat sub/alchemy up there though, I've seen how painful it is. With a imbued/runed gathering tool you can basically pull in tip top ore with the proper skill range also...

Honestly, I think you're way overpricing in hopes of profiting off your game time...just my personal opinion though...

• Like 2

well many inputs sofar my avarege making in dyes il drop abit coz colors makes game much enyjoable.

but more feedback is good to see and hear from community.

It's been said, what the market will bear. Clearly the market won't bear your asking price.

It's no different than me making compasses. With three skills to grind to make a decent compass, plus a super high "misc" I can still roll out a compass between 50 and 80 quality. The 50s are worthless, yet I've spent a ton of time making a 90+ quality jar, oil, and needle. Then I still have to have woa cast on it and pray it doesn't shatter. The market is almost nil,and won't bear a high price.

It is what it is.

• Like 5

I have to admit that I have been reading this thread for a few days and as a result of seeing the pictures again I've been so, so tempted to offer the 7s for the boat. 

Why? Well 7s isn't a lot of silver to me and I really appreciate the effort that went into a nice boat that is visually appealing. 

So MrCoolman, serious offer from me to purchase your sailboat for 7s (plus some stipend for delivery to Exodus if that's possible). 

At the end of the day people pay what they are willing to pay. I am willing to pay 7s + a reasonable delivery fee.

~Nappy

• Like 1

You need to park your boats on deed Nappy so they don't take so much decay damage

2 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

You need to park your boats on deed Nappy so they don't take so much decay damage

As far as I know my boats are all stored in a safe mine on ship transports and on deed. Let me know if you found a boat that I have forgotten somewhere.

Rare Knarr where your old port deed was, at least I think its your knarr, been a while since I checked it

I will reach out to the purchaser. They must not have moved it yet.

my thinking is like this with all o f ur inputs ill start auction high ql rgbs ill start low on them a 48h auction and well we go from there as i said i want to hear what community thinks, fair if u think 7s is to much it is, i grabbing old prices here and i will adapt nw's. thats me atleast for the other dye makers i cant tell much.  But i am very happy for all feedback ill gotten sofar. =)

When there is a well known, high skill merchant that sells black for 30c per KG, asking 1s+ per kg is rather ridiculous. One of the most influential factors on pricing is supply and demand. If someone supplies at a price that is considerably cheaper than yours, you'll find a hard time selling your product. 

In the end you can sell for whatever you want. Its just selling a 1.5s-2s boat for 7s when you can just buy an undyed one and dye it yourself for less than half the price its a deal breaker. 

• Like 1

As someone who sells dyes (and the one being referenced as the 30c black seller)  I'll weigh in with my two cents too

Making black sucks, it's time consuming and having to fill hundreds of jars with water will drive you mad. 

The upside is you can make it in 64 kg lots, meaning if you get lucky and turn out a high quality amount, you have 64 kgs of it. That's why my pricing is 30c per kg. churning through hundreds or thousands of iron is a pain and I tend to put aside anything 50+ql because of the varying colours people want. I can use mid range dyes if they want lighter colours so there's minimal loss (though i have 4-5 amphora racks with sealed small amphorae with varying colours, not to mention the small barrel racks.

My overheads are low because grinding botanizing has produced thousands of acorns, and with a good pickaxe I'm able to regularly produce 100ql iron, if i had to source these elsewhere I'd likely be charging more. 

I also charge slightly more if the black is higher quality, I usually have a range to offer and most are happy with the 20/20/20 range black which is 30c per kg, for 9/9/9 I'd be charging more

Judging from mrcoolmans colours (Which are amazing, I will say), I'm guessing he uses the 91ql black as a base, which adds the cost of that to any dye made. From there adding increasingly high levels of cochineal until the suitable colour is reached. 

My preference is to start with the pure colours, which means sourcing high ql cochineal (scorpion is best as combining colours together can move them closer to grey) and woad (same thing, even worse because its 1kg at a time) Rather than building from a black base. It's likely a lot more wastage than mcm's system however, since you cannot fail to improve the colour (unless its lower ql but that's a bit confusing to write more on here) 

Natural substances is an annoying skill to grind, namely because it's one of the few right click grinds still out there (wtb mix keybind) and Mrcoolman has always been an inspiration of mine, along with headhunter (who didn't even laugh when i bought 30 kgs of lime green to paint my house) and Aum. Dyemaking takes a lot of effort, a good eye for colours, knowing just how much things will jump when you mix that 80ql copper in vs that 40ql copper (its not half, i dont know why) as well as butchering, botanizing and mining just to be able to supply yourself. 

As angelklaine said, things are worth what people will pay for them, but they're also worth what people will sell them for, the sheer amount of work in skilling, resources, and combatting rng for dyes makes them a time consuming process, but also incredibly rewarding, the first time I got the bug from dyemaking is when I dyed a neighbours spirit cottage blue, she was so thrilled with it that it struck me as dyes being one of the best ways to show off your own sense of style, be it a lime green wooden mansion, or a black and red sailboat

• Like 11

Thnx all ppl for ur input, i why i needed this thread is so i can adjust to communty and i am very greatful for the comments and so on u given me, most ppl that knows me i dont sell that openly things and its not goal either, just want to get rid of things i dont need.

Anyhow thnx for the great help u done here and have a nice weekend, and if theres any u want to ask me pls do so, even me need to adjust to what u want.

And to u Archaed thnx for them fine words, i dont know what community think of me i only try to fit in and make it some easier for other ppl so.

On 2018-03-01 at 6:59 AM, Angelklaine said:

When there is a well known, high skill merchant that sells black for 30c per KG, asking 1s+ per kg is rather ridiculous. One of the most influential factors on pricing is supply and demand. If someone supplies at a price that is considerably cheaper than yours, you'll find a hard time selling your product. 

In the end you can sell for whatever you want. Its just selling a 1.5s-2s boat for 7s when you can just buy an undyed one and dye it yourself for less than half the price its a deal breaker. 

+ i like a honest answer thnx =) ill adjust as u all have already =)

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:10 AM, ChampagneDragon said:

It's been said, what the market will bear. Clearly the market won't bear your asking price.

It's no different than me making compasses. With three skills to grind to make a decent compass, plus a super high "misc" I can still roll out a compass between 50 and 80 quality. The 50s are worthless, yet I've spent a ton of time making a 90+ quality jar, oil, and needle. Then I still have to have woa cast on it and pray it doesn't shatter. The market is almost nil,and won't bear a high price.

It is what it is.

All the testing we did in the past showed that Woa on a hq compass doesn't really do anything but it made a huge difference on the lq ones since it just affects the settle time. 70ql is like a second and 80 plus is pretty much instant without Woa. But yes I know people always demand Woa on them anyway go figure. To stay on topic though I think a lot of people have devalued a lot of things by undercutting. I have noticed a trend lately of items that have had a fixed value forever are starting to drop. Dirt prices, mortar, bricks. Some people are practically giving the stuff away.

Edited by Evilvision
  • Like 1

I wouldn't say that there's such a thing as a fair price for dye.  I've made enough good-looking but low quality dyes to know that you don't need much skill to make something look nice, and dyes are ultimately a luxury item.  Dye-making requires a lot of specialized skills and resources, but there isn't enough of an economy in this game for it to be worth selling.  You're better off selling your acorns and woad to someone else.  More generally, if you're playing Wurm to make money, you'll be disappointed.

• Like 1