Sign in to follow this  
Finndar

When can horses be attacked?

Edit: Per @Iberisthe chart is complete. Thank you everyone!

When Can Horses be Attacked?
  Unsaddled Horse not Ridden Saddled Horse Not Ridden Horse Being Ridden Hitched Horse Tamed Horse
Regular MOB NO NO NO NO YES
Starving MOB YES YES YES YES YES
Rift MOB YES YES NO YES YES
Uniques like Dragons NO NO NO NO YES

Edited by Finndar

Rift mob: YES on every point. Last time at Release rift someone left a wagon in the RIFT area and all hitched horses got killed.

• Like 1

Unless tamed the rift mobs don't attack a ridden horse that I have seen. Though traps can be triggered on your horse there.

• Like 1

Rift mobs will attack any horses unless they are being ridden. This includes hitched. If a horse is being attacked before you jumped on it to ride it, it will continue to be the target until you move far enough away.

Starving mobs will attack any horses, ridden, hitched or being led.

Uniques will not attack horses unless the unique is starving (or the horse is tamed).

Tamed horses will be attacked by any mob whether being ridden, hitched or lead.

Branded horses act the same as unbranded/untamed horses in the situations mentioned above.

** Also if you are on Chaos (or KoSed on freedom) - Spirit Templars and Enemy Tower guards will attack any horses that are hitched, ridden or being led.

Edited by Iberis
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Iberis said:

Rift mobs will attack any horses unless they are being ridden. This includes hitched. If a horse is being attacked before you jumped on it to ride it, it will continue to be the target until you move far enough away.

Has it been changed? I haven't been at rifts for a while, but I have had couple of close calls, when rift mobs were chewing on my horse which I was riding. One time I got it barely out of the rift area at around 10% health.

It's likely that traps damaged your horse rather then the actual rift mobs - traps do a considerable amount of damage to horses and 2 or 3 is usually enough to put your horse to bleeding or kill it. Unless you were dismounted at some point and rift mobs targetted your horse - no they won't attack a horse with a rider.

I was not guessing, I saw it in logs, that a rift dog was chewing on my horse.