Sign in to follow this  
Gwyn

QoL - 'Take' optimizations for bulk containers

Right now, if you want to take anything out of a bulk container (BSB, crate, etc.) you have to open the container, open your inventory, drag and drop, enter the amount you want, and press 'Send' – five separate keyboard/mouse operations.

This is needless nuisance, especially when you just want to grab, say, a kindling to light your forge or oven, or dump yet another dozen bricks and mortar into inventory while working on your latest project.

I see a few possibilities to make these very frequent actions less burdensome:

1. Add a 'Take' command to the context menu that pops up when r-clicking on items inside a bulk container, just as we get when r-clicking items in regular container or inventory. This command could expand rightwards: Take 1, Take 5, Take 10.
  2. Make the 'Take' keybind work on items in bulk containers and ...
  3. Add new keybinds that allow for fast specific quantity selection on multi-item stacks or bulks: 'Take 1', 'Take 5', 'Take 10'.

With these additions, you would only need to open the container and perform one mouse-click or key press – two operations instead of five, a big reduction in finger work.

Edited by Gwyn
Clarity

From a really old Hot Food Cooking guide I wrote pre-cooking update there is a section I think relevant to your request (Essentially there is a SHIFT/ENTER combo that allows you to skip the question box):

From - https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Panfilling_tips

Filling pans

Filling pans does not have to be exceptionally painful. It can be easier to perform than the way most people initially try it.

1. Go into Settings, check the box for "Enable shift-drag in GUI" and change the "Default shift drag value" to 1
  2. Place 100 empty frying pans into a forge
  3. Place two satchels, backpacks or cauldrons in your inventory
  4. Put 100 of one vegetable (corn in the example) in one backpack (or whichever container you chose in step 3, above)
  5. Put 100 of the second vegetable (onions in the example) in the second backpack
  6. Expand the backpacks so you can see the summary line for each vegetable (corn 100 and onion 100)
  7. Use the ctrl key to select the corn(100) and onion(100) lines in inventory
  8. Hold down the SHIFT and ENTER key while left-clicking on the bottom vegetable item – the top menu bar should change from words to dashes
  9. While continuing to hold down the shift and enter keys, drag the vegetables across to each frying pan in the forge. Each drag should result in 1 onion and 1 corn being placed into the pan
  10. Continue until all 100 frying pans are filled
  11. Repeat the steps for all forges

So it's you who shared that tip! Thank you, I read that long ago and used it to good effect when filling pans during my HFC grind. But I don't see how it's relevant to bulk containers, which is what my suggestion is about,

And that trick isn't exactly obvious, user friendly or flexible, plus it still involves dragging and dropping between windows, which I think the game could use less of.

I believe the tip works on bulk containers too although it's been a long time since I really used it much.

I do agree with everything you said about it not being obvious, user friendly or flexible or reducing the number of drags. 

Only reason I posted it was to make sure you knew about the option, many people don't.

6 hours ago, Nappy said:

I believe the tip works on bulk containers too although it's been a long time since I really used it much.

With those settings, holding SHIFT/ENTER while drag/dropping will take exactly 1 item from standard inventory/container stacks (such as those inside backpacks), just as you describe.

Doing the same while drag/dropping from bulk containers will take as many items as can be carried in inventory. So I'm afraid no, the tip doesn't work on bulk containers.