Sign in to follow this  
Diceusinfinitus

For the Love of Wood

Let's fix wood crafting.

Last part decides wood type is a sneaky mechanic - I know we all love showing our wisdom by telling newbs to 'just use the last part whatever you want and BOOM! it magically makes it that'. At this point wood really needs some love in the game, not just visually.

Changes:

I think majority of wood used SHOULD determine bonuses... last part can determine wood type for visual like Veneer. A wire brush or planer could remove that veneer and allow people to re-add the veneer to change the 'appearance' wood type.

Bonuses should be tied to overall wood % used, with at least >50% of that type if you want the bonuses.

We don't just add 1 bit of seryll to an iron sword to make it seryll... Lets fix the wood industry.

Lastly, we have many kinds of wood... only a few give bonuses. Willow for bows, oak for tool wear, cedar for decay resistance. Perhaps we can creatively get more wood bonuses... like:

1) arrows made from certain trees do better against X creature.

2) objects made from certain trees might be lighter or heavier.

3) brainstorm more of these!

Common counter arguments:

1) it'll be too hard to make a lemon Knarr.... yes it will be.

2) why change it? we like it this way... do you really think 'last part determines wood type' reflects how wood crafting should be, or are you just lazy?

3) what happens to all my stuff?... I'm sure they can grandfather existing items over, or have it auto-convert just like they've done for anything else they change - food/wood visuals...

4) there isn't enough cherry wood to make all my stuff cherry!... probably true so maybe plant some cherry trees to regrow them?

Lets hear some constructive criticism. :) 

I want my oleanderwood cart to posion people who get near it. That'll teach them.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 6

100% support the ability to “refinish” items to change wood color.

• Like 1

I like the idea, but from a developer's perspective it's just too much trouble. Every unfinished wooden item in the world need to keep track of wood type of attached items, which will cause even more strain on databases etc.

I 100% support the idea that we should be able to change the appearance woodtype at any time after it's finished, there is no good argument against that.

• Like 1

They could purge unfinished wood items, with advance warning. I'm sure the food update was equally daunting.