Sign in to follow this  
Malena

Would Wurm feel more alive if we could purchase more than just trader/merchant deeds?

4 hours ago, Ayes said:

The ability to have an NPC like designed like this could be very interesting. Lets say that every deed owner could have an exact copy of their Character created when they *logged off* that would appear on their deed in a place of their choosing. Then the deed owner could program this duplicate Character to tell stories or answer preset questions about themselves, their deed or whatever. Visitors to the deed could then say "Hello Ayes" to this NPC and it would respond with some type of greeting. For further interaction they could click on it and choose topics of information that were available on it. This would then appear in a Village Chat Tab and carry on from there. Way too much time consuming complex coding for WO to implement no doubt but I think a programmable duplicate Character NPC along these lines would be very fun to have available as included with deeds.

=Ayes=

One useful function I could see for customizable chat on an NPC would be providing village information. I'd love to be able to point a new villager to the tavern, where the barkeep could tell them things like:

- where the well/water fountain is;

- where the chapel is;

- who to ask for perms;

- where to find nearby iron/clay;

- and so on.

Could also have a combat trainer to point newbies at, where we could have basic tips on fighting stances, damage types, armor, etc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Malena said:

Our farm animals make our deeds more immersive by wandering around their pens and grazing the grass.

Except after the recent update to animal movement cows and chickens (And probably a few others) are bouncing around in their pens like ping pong balls on Pong. The chickens seem like they did some kind of illicit substances and now are ramped up and going a mile a minute...never stop bouncing from fence to fence to fence. Cows are not far behind, and sheep do plenty also. Whereas if you put a bull in a pen, it stays there and almost never budges. Same with a bison, but they vaguely move once in awhile.

Our tower guards make our deeds more immersive by patrolling around the city.

My guard tower is right on the coast...so over half the time my guards are out in the water bobbing up and down swimming, if not outright up a 240 slope cliff edge or something else. They never drown, and they don't slide off. Yay realism...adding so much!

Our merchants make our deeds more immersive by being figures you can do trade with. 

Merchants only SELL things, you can't technically 'trade' with them, to make coins. So you get rows of dead-lifeless market stalls with a NPC that sells something just for a specific person to make money. Traders can be traded with, but that mechanic is so busted/broken that they finally just nerfed it mostly into the ground(And simply turned them off from even being added on my server. None but the starter towns have them.), making them rather useless also unless you figure out when exactly money drops to them and time your drop of items to it perfectly when it does to pull the money out of the coffer.

And as would just a few more NPC types in addition to the already existing tower guards, spirit guards, traders and merchants bring just a little more immersion.

Spirit guards, which have a tendency to get stuck on something scenery-wise when targeting something and then spam the crud out of local with 'I'll get that mob!' ad infinitum every few seconds.

Somehow, with Wurm's multiple broken iterations they already have, I doubt adding more broken will help matters. Maybe adjust/fix the ones we have first, before attempting more?

16 hours ago, Malena said:

This phrase sums up exaaaaactly what I'm getting at.

• Our farm animals make our deeds more immersive by wandering around their pens and grazing the grass.
  • Our tower guards make our deeds more immersive by patrolling around the city.
  • Our merchants make our deeds more immersive by being figures you can do trade with. 
  • And as would just a few more NPC types in addition to the already existing tower guards, spirit guards, traders and merchants bring just a little more immersion.

I have to wonder whether the opposers have the above mentioned NPCs on their deeds. 

As a not-interested-in-NPCs (but not opposed) person, I do have guards and animals, and often have had a spirit. Aside from joking about my spirit butler "Jeeves", I only feel that the animals make anything feel immersive. The guards just pop up and scare the bejeezus out of me. I don't have a "town" with lots of buildings, more like a little homestead, so additional NPCs would feel odd, in my house. 

If someone had a full built town and was looking for villagers, some kind of greeting NPC could be useful, and I do like the advanced sort of merchant Angelklaine mentioned. An NPC that can take drop offs would also be so useful for trades with people in far flung time zones.