Sign in to follow this  
armyskin

Walkabout: or how long can I survive without a horse?

Decided to do something that I had in the back of my mind for years now. I am going to walk across Xanadu and just live off of the land a bit and have an adventure. I am starting at C 15 and who knows where I will end up or the path I will take. I hope to see some cool things and maybe make a few new friends along the way. If you see me let me know if you need anything done, I will probably be running from trolls. I have tools on me to pay for food with work. Let me know if there is anything I need to see while Im here.

• Like 13

A brilliant idea, it's quite doable if you're observant and a bit lucky. I suggest you take the E/W highway and do walk across xanadu, it's well worth it!

• Like 1

I have landed in Heck and am on the highway on my way to Lindon Cove. Loaded with tools weapons that I havent skilled yet and waterskins, and not much else, didnt even bring my puppets along for company.

• Like 4

I saw someone doing this on Indy a few years ago, they were living out of a wagon and camping in the woods, moving around from place to place. Neat idea, and good luck!

• Like 1

imma fire up timeli for that locate soul to find your corpse :D All the fun aside, have a nice walkabout! Kinda makes me feel like i want to do that also.

• Like 1

Enjoy the sights and make sure to provide some screenshots. Most inhabitants of Xanadu will probably only have seen a small fraction of the map themselves.

If you eve rhappen to pass by way down south you are invited to a mint tea and some tasty sausage :D

• Like 1

Screenshots is a nice idea, keep this thread as a journal for your adventure!

Good luck :)

• Like 1

Any news on progress? Just had a ride up from Linden Cove to the tunnel through the mountains from Heck - plenty of mobs (and mob corpses) as usual - so hopefully you have managed to get through at least this far...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, armyskin said:

I will probably be running from trolls.

:D I laughed so hard at that!

Trolls will be running away from you is more likely.

I hope you have a fun time and if you happen by Aranith Sanctuary, I'll be happy to provide food and shelter for as long as you want mate.

(Though it's hard to find it in the wilderness I'm located in)  Just give me a holler  -Gavarron

• Like 1

Very nice way to see beautiful deeds and meet a lot of people.. I've done this a few times with an alt.. Stick to roads, carry a tent to drop.. and you should be fine as long as you don't afk for too long :) Good luck in your adventure.. and have fun

Xanadu is a great place to do this because the lag helps a lot.. you just zig-zag a bit and you should be able to get away from most mobs.. on a smaller map you would be chased by a hell hound half the map.. and then eaten :)

Edited by faty
  • Like 1

Took me 3 hours to go the 600 tiles from Heck to the waystone I stopped at for the night. That tunnel was a nightmare. I scored 9 points into shield and maul skills from that.

• Like 2

7 hours and I have made it from Heck to Vrock Landing and now at my stopping point for the night, Fogshore locked outside of Battlepant's house sleeping in the snow. Made a few friends already, helped Prhoton who was being chased by a troll, got directions from Toddly, and ran into a few others who were out doing their things along the way. This is turning out very well so far and I am very happy that I decided to finally do it.

The undeeded settlement where I spent my first night after clearing out the tunnel from Heck to Lindon Cove.

Spoiler

i2yMqBc.jpg

who needs a GPS when you have Noizhead to guide you?

Spoiler

ADT5a7Q.jpg

I was told the view from Fogshore was very nice, I agree.

Spoiler

Eoq8ayp.jpg

The view again but from outside Battlepants' front door. (It's going to be a cold night)

Spoiler

z4QRw1g.jpg

I hope to get more screenshots tomorrow on my way to Linton.Let me know if there is somewhere I should go and I will try to stop in.

• Like 10

If you ever make it as far as o20 there will be beds,  food and cotton for you at the three legged Troll. 

Good luck with your adventures. 

Edited by yetian

If you ever make it to Newspring Island - my deed, Babuskaa's Village on the SW coast, T8 has a guest cottage you could park in for the night.

On 2/19/2018 at 6:38 PM, armyskin said:

Decided to do something that I had in the back of my mind for years now. I am going to walk across Xanadu and just live off of the land a bit and have an adventure. I am starting at C 15 and who knows where I will end up or the path I will take. I hope to see some cool things and maybe make a few new friends along the way. If you see me let me know if you need anything done, I will probably be running from trolls. I have tools on me to pay for food with work. Let me know if there is anything I need to see while Im here.

I like doing this too and a good way I've found to make it more interesting is using "random teleport" from path of insanity.  Then you are at a random location and have to figure out where you are and if you can make it back home or until the next hour when random tele is off cool down.  I've been ALL over Xan this way.  I feel like I know where I am most the time now when I random tele.  Good way to find hunting too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nicedreams said:

I like doing this too and a good way I've found to make it more interesting is using "random teleport" from path of insanity.  Then you are at a random location and have to figure out where you are and if you can make it back home or until the next hour when random tele is off cool down.  I've been ALL over Xan this way.  I feel like I know where I am most the time now when I random tele.  Good way to find hunting too.

I did this twice now, insanity treks are awesome. :D Gotta be prepared to land in water though.

Some of my most memorable Wurm experiences have come from this. An oak forest on one of the highest mountains of Xanadu, completely untouched, and practically untouchable, by civilization. Gives you an idea what it's like to be the first guy on the moon.

• Like 1

I have been so bad about updating this as I traveled. I made it to all of the starter towns except Glasshollow Newspring and Esteron. I got to talk with a bunch of nice players that dont use the forums and I would have never known about them without walking right up to them. This was an awesome experience. I can only imagine what it had to have been like to be on the server when it was first opened. I have found roads that are not passable on foot and require a mount. Shout out to the 1 cow that I had to ride at N 18. I have gone cross country in areas that had only minimal player interaction. There really are spots that have no roads whatsoever. I managed to log 30km in a day going from Linton to Greymead with a break about halfway. I missed the Rift by a day because I didnt want to go back to where I had just been. I am currently making my way from Summerholt back to my boat at B15. I want to thank the community for all the pleasant banter on the Freedom chat, and for putting up with me. I hope this gets others to go out and see more of this truly expansive server and meet the people in it.

• Like 10