Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

How do you refresh your Wurm experience?

Recently I started getting that well known gamer fatigue. After a year playing this game, I started wondering what I kept logging in for. Happens to most gamers I suppose. Everything starts to look the same and you get bored. With console games, most simply start a fresh game from the beginning and just re experience those things that made you fall in love with your game. For us Wurmians? Well there are other servers, or clusters.

For me it came in the form of a character I bought. I took my character to Epic with no tools, no weapon, no gear, and went slumming it up with a friend. We had nothing on us, just the skills our characters had.

First thing was to get geared, right? So we found an open cave near Strongbox and looted some abandoned stuff. He found a 20ql large axe and a shield, and I found a medium shield and a shovel. Armed with our new found weapons we were chased around by spiders and bears and nearly died twice. Our screams for help to guard towers made the locals wonder what the heck was going on.

Eventually we stumbled upon an abandoned deed with some base tools and an outmost vein, so we were able to make weapons, tools and armor from there and get set. Our adventure on Epic had just started. 

Needless to say this rejuvenated our interest in the game. This is how I did it. How about you? What keeps you toiling on when your interest wanes? How do you revive that feeling for this game we all love?

• Like 2

I add a years upkeep to deed and take a long brake playing other games .

Then come back to see if I can get back to the old amazed feeling I first had starting.

• Like 2

I think im going to go and walk around on Xanadu, I always wanted to just go off in the wilderness and I think that it is time for an adventure. If I do it I would carry my normal kit on me and pay for food from other players by offering labor or imping services. I have no idea where anything is on that server since I have never spent much time there so maybe I need a list of "must see" deeds. 

• Like 3

I grind some digging or mining. They're super easy to do.

A few days of that and I'm refreshed and ready to go grind something else!

7 minutes ago, Hailene said:

I grind some digging or mining. They're super easy to do.

A few days of that and I'm refreshed and ready to go grind something else!

Usually a few days of that make me want to quit! :blink:

And here I am, digging and mining.

In Wurm, we are all masochists.

• Like 3

im doing it. Im on Xan now. going to start a new thread to log this adventure.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Usually a few days of that make me want to quit! :blink:

Make sure you have something interesting going on in your second monitor/TV. That's the trick to feeling refreshed! You're basically doing something else while still getting those sweet, sweet characteristics.

• Like 1

every few months i buy about 800 sleep powders on freedom to grind, and then i realize my premium has ran out and cant afford to reprem so i take a few weeks off waiting to afford prem again and while i do that i just complain about the game on the suggestions thread

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

every few months i buy about 800 sleep powders on freedom to grind, and then i realize my premium has ran out and cant afford to reprem so i take a few weeks off waiting to afford prem again and while i do that i just complain about the game on the suggestions thread

Only 800?

Don't buy accounts and you wont get fatigued/bored. When you have nothing to work towards, what's the point? It's like using cheat codes or something in Skyrim or another game; you go on a murder spree and stop playing it permanently afterwards - people who do this are just ruining the experience. 

If you can't stop doing that, just take a break for a few months try some other games, because "Wurm is waiting" so they say.. 

Edited by Niki
  • Like 1

New accounts often refresh the feeling for me. Accounts have vaired skills worked, and some that need work, and feeling those gaps often gives me something to do. I've already done taming on 3 separate accounts and I really enjoy the feeling of accomplishment it gives me. Its why I buy them. I see an account that needs a bit of work, and I grab it and work on it.

right now, i'm kinda fed up with wurm, the lack of updates, the lack of community.. so to speak,.. i mean sure we have a lot down in the WU, area, but once you have built everything, i mean what else is there to do, if your flying by the seat of your pants and doing it solo, so i've put wurm away for a while, and gone off to play out of reach, i bought it on sale a while back, just now getting into it.

My problem is that I am not a very good hermit. Just building my own little bubble on my own and just for myself gets boring quickly (I'll never get why people think building ghost towns with a plethora of buildings just for one person makes sense :P). As Wurm Online (Freedom at least) is basically a hermit game I leave and return in intervals. Right now the highway system might keep me busy for a while but once highways are built they are built - no long-term perspective there either.

Currently I am also looking at a WU Server that might promote more group play. We'll see how that goes.

I start a new project from time to time.  Building up a new deed on a different server (or a different spot on the same server), a bridge, a highway, etc.

I belong to a small group (usually only 3 people, occasionaly 1 or 2 more) that plays this game periodically.

We start a new settlement, build it up for a month or two. Then we get bored and people log out and do other stuff for 6-12 months.

Rinse and repeat.

11 hours ago, armyskin said:

im doing it. Im on Xan now. going to start a new thread to log this adventure.

If you come by Aranith Sanctuary, I'll be happy to shelter you for a while mate ;)

• Like 1

Never really happened as I only play for an hour or two at a time. I guess if I was getting fatigued I would try another game and then realise just how good Wurm is and how lucky I was to have found it.

I just go to another one of my deeds and many projects or have a break and play WU...

I tend to end up mining no matter what I do, so I guess that is refreshing for me!

• Like 1

After two years I was feeling that way, so I deeded a new spot. Major terraforming project, now designing and building. When I get tired of that, I jump in my boat and go explore. There's always something new to see.

5 hours ago, Cecci said:

I tend to end up mining no matter what I do, so I guess that is refreshing for me!

I dont know how staring at a stone wall for hours can be called "refreshing".

But I agree. :)

Edited by griper
  • Like 1

It must be that moment and sense of elation when it finally breaks...

...and you move to do it all over again...

...forever.

• Like 2

I take long breaks from the game (anywhere from three to nine months) and even when I'm playing I usually switch up what skills I'm working on to keep things interesting. 

Before WU came about I had deeds on a few servers with Mayors that I kept at Premium, that way I could work on the different deeds and Character's skills for some variety of locations and deed designs. Also, with 2 computers/monitors I could play 2 Characters at once to reduce the timer thumb twiddling to a minimum.

Now with WU I basically do the same thing and play WO on the second computer to make the timers there tolerable. Only have 1 Premium guy on one server in WO now though, as the WU Public servers offer the variety.

Been playing the game close to 8 years now with never more than a few days off. Used to play some other MMO's at the same time but eventually got tired of all the mob killing/quest type games.

=Ayes=

On 20/02/2018 at 1:59 AM, Niki said:

Only 800?

Don't buy accounts and you wont get fatigued/bored. When you have nothing to work towards, what's the point? It's like using cheat codes or something in Skyrim or another game; you go on a murder spree and stop playing it permanently afterwards - people who do this are just ruining the experience. 

If you can't stop doing that, just take a break for a few months try some other games, because "Wurm is waiting" so they say.. 

The point? To have fun in your own way. I love building deeds in Wurm, and I'm limited by my own skills when it comes to that, so must rely on others for certain things. If I bought an account I could do it all myself for the most part. I don't find joy in endless grinding in games. I'd like to use and do what I'd want to do (within the rules, of course). You say it ruins the experience, but that doesn't ring true for everyone. That's why it's nice to have the option there to jump right to a point and jump into the game without needing to grind.

• Like 3

Kind of been thinking about this since I've been suffering from burnout recently, made worse when my friends are feeling the same and the urge to play other games comes along.

So I went back to freedom to take part in a rift and looking at my deed it reminded me of when I had several new players running around - I kind of miss that. I miss taking them in my cart to rifts, going on hunts and blocking for them. Helping gather mats to build their house. Teaching them the ways of the force wurm. So I think I might try to adopt some new players and get hands on with them to try to refresh my muse for wurm.

Edited by Iberis
  • Like 3

For me is a small break  but not playing other games..i usually take 2 weeks and i watch stupid tv shows and then i come back and think of a new set of skills to grind..or a new crazy big project.. and that will keep me busy for most of the year.

I do play other games sometimes if they are good but i never felt like there's nothing to do in wurm.