Sign in to follow this  
griper

Crafting Tomes

Crafting Tomes to learn spells could add some value to the end game for people who have grown tired of the Unique hunts and still want to do great projects with tangible rewards.

Crafting a Tome could require very large quantities of normal items that have no real purpose right now.

Pelts, corn, mushrooms and so on would be needed in the hundreds or many thousands for a single Tome. Needs to balanced of course.

And a Tome could require some new skills for preparing ingridients and some new crafting equipment.

The idea would be to get people off deed and starting collecting things in the wild or farming or trading for them.

It should of course take a long time to gather the resources, but should be managable by a committed group or village.

+1ish

Sounds like a nice way to add a potential purpose to a lot of items, but generally speaking, tomes are items that are very oriented to the pvp-side of this game, so i'm not sure that adding a way to create them through a massive pve-friendly task is the way to go.

On the other hand, seeing how most of tomes are acquired through rmt or unique hunts done on PVE servers, i think it might be a good idea anyway.

-1 and I am saying this as someone who stockpiles EVERYTHING.

People like me could and would sit there and craft these non stop and make stupid amounts of them.

Rather not ever see this as a thing.

Also before you say I probably have a crap ton of tomes already... I have 2.

Black and white tome. neither are very useful.

Edited by necroe

Stop this ######, if you want an end game go play something else.

There's enough magical ###### around, tomes are not a necessity. This game keeps adding spells on top of magic on top of abilities,  it's stupid. You have meditation and priests, what are you gonna do after craftinga tome, quit? Yeah, that's what the devs want...

Edited by KyleBooze
  • Like 2

I think the concept is good but the plan isnt. Bringing tomes to pve activities would be an idea but it should be limited with a certain degree of risk. For one I would make the items needed acquirable on pvp servers only. Tomes were created for Epic which is a pvp cluster, and their use revolves around pvp activities. Marketizing Tomes is bad, and to be honest pve'rs would just sell the things. Its not something highly sought after on Freedom.

Even on pvp servers it should be a rather difficult task to perform, at par with obtaining fragments from missions on Epic. Maybe digging, mining or archeology will yield a fragment at a similar rate one discovers a rare bone.

Maybe make it so that you have to gather and craft alot of stuff and then you will try to "assemble" them at WL or BL on chaos. So if you really want one it will be 5 to 10 min timer like charging the artis. Its not full pve solution but will make it cool lore wise and also more about risk and danger. I could see alliances going all together to chaos trying to get those tomes made and so on, scouting ahead, having everything ready to go. Could be cool. But -1 for a full PvE thing. Could as well just give out tomes for 2 years of prem or smth in that way. And i do like if it had like 80% to get it or something so it would not be a sure thing.

• Like 1

I'm not inherently against doing something more with tomes, but I'd like it to be lore-relevant. Simply crafting a tome out of a myriad of small pieces seems odd. My limited understanding is that a tome is both knowledge and a container charged with arcane power (that dissolves the tome when released, at least on Epic).

Simply from a lore perspective, how would that be crafted? I can see three fundamental steps:

1) Acquiring the specific knowledge required to craft a specific tome;

2) Crafting the tome "container";

3) Charging the tome.

Step 1) could involve researching alchemical experiments to unlock knowledge. I'd love to see that require high levels of alchemy and natural substances, and log-keeping of the results of various reactions and reagents (perhaps with new alchemical gear: alembics, etc.).

Step 2) could involve advanced papyrus/ink-making (perhaps it could even require rare paper, although I'm hesitant on that point; perhaps rarity would simply add potential charges to the resulting tome).

Step 3) could maybe involve assembling rare ingredients (blood, moonmetal, or something else new) in "powerful" locations to charge the tome. It probably shouldn't involve saccing or favor.

• Like 2

unless it requires a really advanced way of doing it(try creating the biggest boat times 2000) and several 100 skills and a 0.05% chance then no -1 keep tomes rare if you want one go out hunting or fork up the money

yes id like to see more done with tomes and all those things(dragon skulls on walls?) but simple ways of crafting like this? no thanks

+1. and for people who complain about those who would craft 20 tomes a day... crafting a tome puts a strain on your mind/soul, and you need to rest until you try again ( like meditation cooldown) from a week to a month of cooldown? should limit mass production, but still give the option to get them. after all uniques only come once a month too