Sign in to follow this  
Supernova_Blitz

We need metal buildings!

It is quite simple. Buildings made from metal, as well as a new skill perhaps, one that involves making buildings from metal! This would be so cool, a little expensive, and obviously not for new players or non-premium players(like stone buildings), but it could make the game so much better!

Eh? This seems soooo realistic for our time! (1072 or so)

We need steam engines also!

Was going to say no, however,

December 17, 2014 by Medievalists.net

Using radiocarbon dating on metal found in Gothic cathedrals, an interdisciplinary team has shown, for the first time through absolute dating, that iron was used to reinforce stone from the construction phase.

In view of this, using metal for reinforcing / buttressing +1

• Like 1

-1 Just can't see how this will improve the game. It will ruin the way the game looks, I mean how many people even nowadays have houses made out of metal? Also we don't even have glass for our windows so we can make metal houses before glass?

Edited by Trenix

I can't -1 or +1. If I were to look at it in a realistic manner it would be useless because wurm consists of a huge surplus of iron obtained throw just throwing it into a hot place and picking the lumps up. Realistically, iron is harder to get and there is an abundance of materials to make brick/stone/wood homes. Since we have an abundance of iron in wurm, it wouldn't be wrong to think "Another abundant material? Lets make a home out of it!" There are already fences made out of iron in combination with stone. Iron chain fences. Hey, there is a gold mine door in the game...

My issue with the suggestion is that there is no examples for me to get an idea as to what these metal buildings are.. and when I just hear metal I think a sheet of metal for a wall riveted in... which would not fit the theme too much in wurm in my eyes (possibly in others, i just cant see it currently). HOWEVER, you know those archs that are always supported by wood? I think it would be interested if you can do things like Marble Arch Brass/Gold Support (not talking about trim on top). Also would be nice to have iron barred windows.

On 22/02/2018 at 8:03 AM, Trenix said:

-1 Just can't see how this will improve the game. It will ruin the way the game looks, I mean how many people even nowadays have houses made out of metal? Also we don't even have glass for our windows so we can make metal houses before glass?

You seem real confident about how a metal building would look XD, what are you seeing in your head. If i never saw a stone building I think it would be a crappy mess. But then after seeing that its stone and mortar making it arranged nicely, its better, but still called "stone building." 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

HOWEVER, you know those archs that are always supported by wood? I think it would be interested if you can do things like Marble Arch Brass/Gold Support (not talking about trim on top). Also would be nice to have iron barred windows.

+1 to this

I would like to see this but as an overlay to stone or wood buildings. In particular, I would like to be able to overlay gold and other precious metals.

Here's a wiki article on such things:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilding

It's actually an ancient concept and possible in the context of Wurm. Given that we have dragons and trolls, I don't think it would hurt the "realism" of Wurm too much.

If you'd like to see an idea of how it looks you can look up gold gilded buildings on google to see some ideas. However, this isn't usually the stuff of common homes. It tends to be found on palatial and sacred buildings.

Something to keep in mind though is that even in a thin layer these kinds of buildings require lots of precious metals to be maintained and periodically need to be redone.

One way this could be set up is that you make a normal stone or timber wall then you apply metal sheets, using rivets and hammer, to the wall to transform it into a gilded wall. The different wall types can be used to one day differentiate which style of gilded wall as person is trying to make. 

Another concept would be to allow partial gilding. For example, applying 10 sheets of gold will cover the whole wall in gold, 5 sheets will create gold panels, and 2 sheets will only provide gold accents. I can see a feature like this needing to be rolled out in stages.

Also, decay should be a factor given that in real life the metals have to be replaced. So what I imagine is that gilding will decay over time aside from normal wall decay which is suspended by deeding. It can work two ways: all or nothing, or decaying down to previous steps.

What I mean is, for all or nothing, it stays at it's current level of gilt until it fully decays then it disappears entirely leaving behind a normal wall. For decaying in stages I mean progressing backwards. If one starts with a fully gilded wall it will decay down to the panels, then it decay down to the accents, then it will decay down to the normal base wall. With time it will decay down one step.

I don't know how much metal a building may take in real life, but I can see this require lots of and lots of metal. I kinda imagine building a gilded house being as resource intensive as building epic structures and expensive since people will often have to buy metals from others. It may create higher demand for some resources.

• Like 1