Sign in to follow this  
Equinox

Astaroth | Wurm's Hardest Server

There is place in Wurm that reaches beyond the farthest edge of the Arctic North. A place that was rumored to exist for thousands of years. Hundreds have tried trekking across the snowy wasteland to place their names in the logs of history as it's discoverer. None have been successful... until now.

Beyond the snow and ice, beyond what you can see at the edge of the horizon lies a land whose beauty is unmatched in the warmth of summer and who's torment is unparalleled in the winter. 

The summer brings heat and warmth and provides a perfect growing season for crops. The cold of winter is brutal enough to kill you within minutes if you are unprepared.

It can not be reached by boat, wagon, or foot. It can only be accessed by coordinates 173.198.235.98:15040. The fee is simple. You must leave ALL your worldly possessions behind. The portal keepers have agreed to let you bring a steel and flint through, but nothing else. You will appear on the other side cold, naked, and without tools. 

The lands are bountiful and will provide all you need if you work hard and persevere. The native bestiary is extremely hostile and domestic livestock are sparse. 

If you are crazy enough to step through to the most difficult challenge of your life, we await you on the other side. 

You can find other settlers and information on our forum page.

Server Settings - Main server - Version 1.6
RAM - 4GB
Size - 4096x4096 custom map
Skill 1x
Timer 2x
Creatures - 38,000 - 95% aggressive
Field Timer - 1 tick per 8 hours, depending on season and elevation.
Traders allowed

Live Map at - http://redirect.pingperfecthosting.com/197659/mapviewer/

Mod List

Adamantine and Glimmersteel Rods

• Can be purchased from the trader.
  • Turns any cave wall or vein to Ada or Glimmer

Add Kingdom Items

• Adds Hundreds of items to craftable list

Announcer

• Announces to the server that a player has joined.

Ash Produce

• Adds ash to campfires, ovens and forges.

Bag of Holding

• Allows priests of every deity to increase container size with a spell.

Better Dig

• Changes dirt from digging/flattening/leveling to drop on the ground instead of going to the inventory of the player.
  • Allows dirt from digging/flattening/leveling/dredging to go into a vehicle being dragged or ridden. If there are crates in it's cargo - it can automatically go into those.
  • Uses dirt from the ground, a vehicle and even crates inside the vehicle when leveling.
  • 20kg scoops of clay, tar, peat and moss

Bounty Mod

• Get coins for killing creatures

Bulk Seperate

• Items are sorted in BSB and FSB by quality

Bulk Transport

• Move up to 1,000 items at a time

Craftable Pauldrons

• All pauldrons are craftable

Crop Mod

• Crops do not rot

Discord relay

• Global chat can be seen on our Discord app and Discord can talk to the in-game chat.

Bulk Capacity

• Bulk containers hold significantly more items.

Fire Burn Time

• Time is displayed showing how much time your fire has left.

Harvest Helper

• Can harvest from Cart or Wagon
  • Whatever is in season is displayed on login.

Hitching Post

• Allows a craftable post to hitch lead critters to.

Hitch Limits

• Creatures of all ages can be hitched
  • Allows almost all critter to be hitched

Increase Merchant Items

• Merchants can hold up to 400 items

Libila

• Can become follow of Libila and remain Freedom Isles without being attacked by guards.

Meditate Mod

• Can reach lvl 99
  • No fails
  • No need to move tiles

Mini Pets

• Allows you to find eggs that add a cute mini-pet.

More Craftables

• Can craft hundreds of not normally craftable items

More potables

Move Mod

• Encumbered weight is lessened
  • Can walk faster
  • Cart, wagons and ships move faster

Portals

• Various portals on server
  • Portal rings can be purchased from GM merchant

No Holy Ground

• Can build and found villages around the White and Black Lights

Sacrifice Mod

• Chance to get a rare bone from sacrificing rare objects.

Salve Mod

• Includes Healing Cover power in name

Skill Mod

• Tweaks to several skills/stats
  • Weaponsmithing, for example, is on-par with other crafting skills/stats

Spell craft and spell mod

• Overhaul of spell casting system. Much less faith/favor needed for many spells

Stable Master

• Allows you to trade your lead critter for a light-weight token. You can use the token 
  • anytime to change it back to your critter. Great for merchants.

Start Gear

• Custom start gear. You start with only a steel & flint.

Survival Mod

Tabard Mod

• Adds many craftable tabards

Three Dee

• Allows you to set objects on other objects.

Timerfix

• Puts timers like level, prayer, meditate, etc... on par with the server timer (2x)

Title Mod

• Custom Titles
Edited by Equinox
Updated

Really an interesting idea! Not so sure about permadeath on a toon tho.

How would players handle deeds upon mayor death?  Is the idea that the town falls with the mayor's death or would players be encouraged to keep alts available to vote out the dead mayor to gain control?

The idea is interesting :)

Edited by Nomadikhan

4 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

How would players handle deeds upon mayor death?  Is the idea that the town falls with the mayor's death or would players be encouraged to keep alts available to vote out the dead mayor to gain control?

The idea is interesting :)

Most of us have given our deed and writs, carts, etc to an alt and add our main toon to the permissions. Only 2 permadeaths on original survival server and this method seems to work well so far. Of course, you could go ultra-hardcore and just risk everything :D

No micromanaging here. You play the game your way, as much as the installed modifications will allow. The rest is up to you. Be creative!

• Like 1

Hey Noma - That would be left up to the player. We have some who do create an alt as their "heir" and add them to the deed and other permissions. We have others who prefer to start completely over should they die an ugly death. Equinox is very easy going when it comes to letting people play how they want to play :)

The permadeath is scary, but if you are careful it is not that hard to avoid death. Both of our permadeaths on the other survival server were due to people not being all that careful :P

Edited by Kamiraa
  • Like 2

Summer has just started, so if anyone is interested in challenging their Wurmskillz now is a great time to join Astaroth :) The server was wiped and started fresh less than a week ago. As described above, this is a survival server (i.e. weather has a big effect and can kill you if you don't prepare, water must be boiled before drinking, etc.) In addition, there are no second chances, if you die here you stay dead. You also start naked with only a flint in a minimal starter camp. If that sounds intriguing to you rather than scary, then come join the fun! You will definitely feel like you have earned your way in the world rather than having it handed to you.

We have a helpful and growing community who will be happy to answer questions and help if needed/wanted. Quite a few villages have popped up and cooperative play is encouraged if you don't want to go it alone. We do have a few hermits who fled to the outer edges, but that's pretty normal in Wurm :D Below is a link to the current livemap. Hope to see your naked self in Astaroth soon!

http://redirect.pingperfecthosting.com/197659/mapviewer/

I'm a little confused... I started a char on the difficult server... got far enough to get a mine open with iron in it... make some tools... built a tiny one tile house to lock stuff up in...

Came back a few days later, and everything is gone including the character... I mean, I understand difficult... but having to start new again?  What's up?

20 hours ago, Kyleshandra said:

I'm a little confused... I started a char on the difficult server... got far enough to get a mine open with iron in it... make some tools... built a tiny one tile house to lock stuff up in...

Came back a few days later, and everything is gone including the character... I mean, I understand difficult... but having to start new again?  What's up?

Same here. Not really interested in a server that keeps starting over, since you never know when it will happen again.  It was also interesting how there were already several deeds up the day after the new wipe, seemed a little to quick for people to have progressed that quickly.  The server idea sounds great, but I expect everyone to have a chance to start at the same time.

Edited by Satch

Equinox would have to provide specifics, and he just left for a week's vacation. It is my understanding that he attempted to apply a fix for the sandstone bug and the entire rock layer ended up deleted, rendering the map unplayable. Unfortunately there was no recent backup. He discussed how to move forward with those of us who are members of the Astaroth forums. It was frustrating to lose a couple of weeks of progress, but we all really enjoy the unique survival/permadeath/difficult theme of this server as well as the community we have developed. Equinox started a fresh copy of the server about a week ago and has regular backups scheduled. In addition, this is now the only Astaroth server so the survival population is no longer split nor is the focus of our admin.

A compensation package was offered to those of us who lost our deeds and time due to the crash to help us get re-established without completely replaying the grind of the first two weeks. This consisted of a large cart, backpack, 10 ql starter tools, one skill set to 20 and funds to start a minimum sized deed with no guard. I for one appreciated that as I wasn't enthused to repeat the process again so soon ;p I didn't regain everything I had earned the first time around, but it helped get up and running. Some took the offer, others preferred to start fresh again.

Satch and Kyleshandra, I hope you decided to give it another try. One crash does not mean it will keep happening. We really do have a lot of fun and would be happy to have you with us :) We have several villages who welcome new people who want to join a community. For those who want to head into the wilderness alone, well we can at least offer advice or helping hand when needed. I am sure Equinox can provide more info or a better explanation than I was able to once he returns, if you have further concerns.

Edited by Kamiraa
Left something out

23 hours ago, Satch said:

Same here. Not really interested in a server that keeps starting over, since you never know when it will happen again.  It was also interesting how there were already several deeds up the day after the new wipe, seemed a little to quick for people to have progressed that quickly.  The server idea sounds great, but I expect everyone to have a chance to start at the same time.

What do you mean start at the same time? Since when does everyone start at the same time on ANY server??

Edited by Hanel

It means not letting certain people start before making the server public. Hence everyone starting at the same time, at launch.

Kaelynn is correct, Thank you for that very well worded bit of info, Kealynn!

Not sure about your last post, Satch? Everyone did start at the same time. There was no pre-release or anything like that. The server was locked for two days while I got it ready, aside from me on a GM acct, no-one else was able to access the server until opening day. The couple days the server was locked was spent building the spawn town and adding/placing custom spawns and mods.

We have a pretty good player base at the moment, you can check us out on Steam, Discord or the web - http://astaroth.enjin.com

Website/Forums

Steam Page

Live Map

Discord

On 2/11/2018 at 6:08 AM, Equinox said:

Nature Skills
5 sprouts per tree with sickle

@Equinox We are getting only 1 sprout per tree with sickle.

For anyone hesitant to try this server, I can tell you it's fantastic. Very good player base who work together, and are willing to help you to survive as long as you are willing to work and do your part. I've died once, but it wasn't nearly as big a deal as you might expect. Just need to have an alt ready, sort of your "heir" who already holds the title to all your land and property.  There are some really fun challenges, good opportunities to earn money, and still a decent amount of untouched land just waiting for hardy new settlers.  Come join the fun!

Bump! Updated to reflect v1.6 upgrades and removed Permadeath

1 hour ago, Equinox said:

Bump! Updated to reflect v1.6 upgrades and removed Permadeath

Omg "removed Permadeath."  THANK YOU!

• Like 2

I love your concept and I am sure Surviverman would feel right at home.  I understand the idea of 1x skill, but not 2x timers, especially in this context.  Really, 10x timers would be much more feasible since skill gain is not touched.  Gaining skill in a survival context improves the experience imho.  With 1x/2x settings, most are going to quit before they even begin to enjoy the added survival features.  And not being able to get faith up quickly is just another I-am-not-doing-this-again decision-maker.

Just a constructive suggestion and I wish the devs success! 

5 hours ago, Eyesgood said:

I understand the idea of 1x skill, but not 2x timers, especially in this context.  Really, 10x timers would be much more feasible since skill gain is not touched.  Gaining skill in a survival context improves the experience imho.  With 1x/2x settings, most are going to quit before they even begin to enjoy the added survival features.  And not being able to get faith up quickly is just another I-am-not-doing-this-again decision-maker.

Faster timers affect skill gain rates, as it makes it possible to complete actions that much faster. They also cause sleep bonus to extend over many more actions, also affecting skill gain rate. 

I like the 1x/2x of Astaroth, and feel that it is already a helpful concession (over 1x/1x). I would prefer not to see the timers sped up, as it's just one more thing that makes it easy to play completely independently, without needing anyone for anything. I like it the way it is, as players need each other more when it takes longer to skill up themselves. This builds community, strengthens the economy, and may also lessen inconsiderate player behaviour (if you need your neighbour's goodwill, you are less likely to grief him).

There are a large number of servers with faster timers. I would prefer it if Astaroth did not become one of them.  But I'll leave it up to your good judgment, @Equinox - You've done a great job so far!

Edited by Batta

+1 to the dev for being different.

Edited by Eyesgood

I stopped playing after the most recent restart of the server, a few weeks ago. In such a difficult mode, it's just disheartening to finally get ahead only to lose everything.   I had worked many, many hours doing irritating labour to finally be able to get several months ahead on upkeep. My plan was to finally get around to the fun parts, which for me are entirely unrelated to making money or fighting mobs. I'll miss the group, as there are some really nice people playing here, but I just can't bear to make everything again, and do the horrible grind to make a bunch of upkeep money again.

(Foxy)

Edited by Batta

It looks like this server is done now. The server stopped a few days ago, and today its website and discord server are gone.