Sign in to follow this  
Trenix

Suggestion - More Mechanic Tweaks

Tree Growth Timer, hour - Number of hours before tree growth checks.

Plant Growth Time, hour - Number of hours before plant growth checks such as bushes, herbs in planters, naturally spawned reeds, ect.

Some people don't run the server 24/7. So it would be nice if things went a bit faster. If this could cause massive performance issues, maybe only have these effect player planted trees and plants, rather than naturally grown or spread ones. This is one big step for the quality of life for WU players.

Edited by Trenix

Trees, bushes, reeds, etc. are currently handled by the tile poller... which goes around through each tile on the server about once per day and does tree growth and a bunch of other things (grass spreading, resetting forage/botanize flags, mines caving in, etc.). I don't think accelerating that would be possible, considering it's already a very significant processing power sink and potential source of lag. Maybe it could get the fields treatment and be split into a separate poller but that might be unfeasible with how many trees are in your average server.

Planters should be easier, if anyone wants to mod it you need to change this in Item.poll

else if (this.getTemplateId() == 1162) {
                if (WurmCalendar.currentTime - this.lastMaintained > 604800L) {
                    this.advancePlanterWeek();
                }
            }

7 hours ago, bdew said:

Trees, bushes, reeds, etc. are currently handled by the tile poller... which goes around through each tile on the server about once per day and does tree growth and a bunch of other things (grass spreading, resetting forage/botanize flags, mines caving in, etc.). I don't think accelerating that would be possible, considering it's already a very significant processing power sink and potential source of lag. Maybe it could get the fields treatment and be split into a separate poller but that might be unfeasible with how many trees are in your average server.

Planters should be easier, if anyone wants to mod it you need to change this in Item.poll

Well there are three things to say about this.

1. Why are players being forced to run massive worlds? This is supposed to be a stand-alone game but in reality it's just a clone of Wurm Online. If we had an option of having a smaller worlds, we wouldn't have to worry about stressing the server. Now we should still be able to run massive worlds if we want, but a smaller world should be at the very least option, with tons of resources and ores for players who are going to play by alone or with friends.
  2. I also suggested that player created plants, trees, and so on, could potentially have their own tile poller which could be sped up unlike naturally grown and spread trees and plants. Another option is possibly have this tweak only effect plants and trees that are inside of people's settlements.
  3. At very least the planters should be considered, rather than requiring us to rely on the modding community.

Yeah at this point I'm just frustrated with the game. Now I have to also wait hours for coal to be made. This game is designed with absolutely no regards to players who host private servers in mind. For private servers, you should expect small groups to even solo play, not just a massive player base playing. You guys are asking an awful lot of money for a game that is old, and has nothing exclusively balanced or designed for private servers at all. More and more I'm feeling like a used customer than I am an actual customer. It's always Wurm Online first while Wurm Unlimited is neglected. I shouldn't be expected to run my server 24/7, nor should I be forced to move to Wurm Online, another private server, or pay for a server.

Edited by Trenix

Trenix, you know that if you host a server you can tweak alot of things to be faster. You can even just set all your skills to 100 and call it a day.

You aren't being force to do anything, sounds like you don't like this type of game.

My wife and I played on a private 2 person server for a year+ and I sometimes would run it for a couple days but usually only turn it on when we were playing.

Seasons went by pretty slow as a result but thats how it goes, thats how the game works. So yes, you have to run it if you want things to happen, infact some stuff

still doesnt fully happen if no characters are loaded into the game world.

Waiting on coal sounds like a 1st world problem, sorry. Its not THAT slow and better planning would allow you to set that up, do something else, and then later you have coal.

If you need coal "NOW" then make a GM char and just summon coal, dunno what else to say about that one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rhaane said:

Trenix, you know that if you host a server you can tweak alot of things to be faster. You can even just set all your skills to 100 and call it a day.

You aren't being force to do anything, sounds like you don't like this type of game.

My wife and I played on a private 2 person server for a year+ and I sometimes would run it for a couple days but usually only turn it on when we were playing.

Seasons went by pretty slow as a result but thats how it goes, thats how the game works. So yes, you have to run it if you want things to happen, infact some stuff

still doesnt fully happen if no characters are loaded into the game world.

Waiting on coal sounds like a 1st world problem, sorry. Its not THAT slow and better planning would allow you to set that up, do something else, and then later you have coal.

If you need coal "NOW" then make a GM char and just summon coal, dunno what else to say about that one.

All the things I've mentioned cannot be tweaked, which is why I'm mentioned them. Hence, "More mechanic tweaks", so we can actually change the game to our liking. I'll update my post to make it more easy to understand. The original post was in the suggestion area and was moved. Anyway, If you actually ran the server, I would assume you would know that these tweaks aren't already present or you simply didn't tweak anything from vanilla setup. I don't feel like stressing my computer and wasting my power to run a server so the game can elapse when I'm not around. It's bad enough that I have to run an entire MMO world instead of a world intended for private server use.

Seriously, all I see is no regard to Wurm Unlimited players. We're behind on updates, have no exclusives, get nothing but leftovers from Wurm Online and sometimes not all features, there are no balance or adjustments for private server use, and Wurm Unlimited is already dying based on the steam charts because of the lack of care. I played my fair share of Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited, I'm well aware of what I'm playing. Everything is now sped up in the game, so finding other things to do as I wait hours and actual days for a server that I don't want to run for literal days, is unacceptable. To each their own, but I did pay for this game and as a customer, I feel like Wurm Unlimited has simply been an advertisement to Wurm Online and a money grab. Mods are always welcomed, but the game isn't even officially supported by them nor should the modders be used to provide my exclusive content when I paid the developers for that.

Edited by Trenix

WU was advertised as exactly what you are describing yet you are complaining that is not different and not tweaked for solo play? You can change the game to your liking by modding your personal server how you see fit. You can make custom 1k worlds packed with ores and monsters, or you can make massive ones. You are not forced to run a massive world. If you have things you want to speed up in game speed it up via a mod. Updates are slow, sure, but believe that code club has always been straight forward with that as well. We will get most content WO does but after it has been tested and tweaked on WO servers with WO keeping some exclusive items. Never has there been mention of exclusive stuff for WU. The game even says a standalone version of WO. It never says a new game based off WO software. The game was designed as a MMO and given to the community to modify how we desire.

5 hours ago, Jerone0601 said:

WU was advertised as exactly what you are describing yet you are complaining that is not different and not tweaked for solo play?

I'm not asking for the game to be made for solo play. The game simply does not have private server hosts in mind for even co-op play for a small group of players, typically what private servers are meant for. Private servers usually don't go beyond 100+ player count and could be why WU is dying, fast. They don't have to go all out and remake the game, but at the very least, I want more tweaks and a small map so the game could be used for more than just a massive playerbase which the game doesn't even have.

You can change the game to your liking by modding your personal server how you see fit. You can make custom 1k worlds packed with ores and monsters, or you can make massive ones. You are not forced to run a massive world. If you have things you want to speed up in game speed it up via a mod.

The game was advertised as a open-source software? Oh really? Because it appears that's not what was advertised on Steam. It was actually advertised as a RPG game. WU states that the game allows us to dictate skillgain rates, action speeds, creature counts, and much more! Well no not really much more and you're here also telling me that they shouldn't even bother giving me more customization for my server. In fact, no where does it even state that the game was designed for modding purposes. Probably has something to do with the fact that mods aren't even officially supported because full focus of the development team appears to be on WO. If they wanted to be clear, they should of made it clear on the steam page that WU is simply a open-source software that will get no focus beyond getting leftovers.

Where are we getting in gaming where it's now MY JOB to mod a game to function for private server use? This is why I bought the game, so they can allow me to change the game to my liking as they actually advertised. Again, WU has NO regard with private servers in mind. I'm not going to risk my time and effort on unofficial mod support to do something the developers were paid to do.

Updates are slow, sure, but believe that code club has always been straight forward with that as well. We will get most content WO does but after it has been tested and tweaked on WO servers with WO keeping some exclusive items. Never has there been mention of exclusive stuff for WU. The game even says a standalone version of WO. It never says a new game based off WO software. The game was designed as a MMO and given to the community to modify how we desire.

Updates are nice and slow, so when an annoying issue is present, we have to wait months for a hotfix. I'm alright with the wait though honestly and I'm glad I'm obtaining more content, but again, the content is not with WU in mind, ever. Also do you know what standalone means? I don't believe WU is a standalone game as the developers have advertised. It's a copied and pasted version of WO with maybe a very few customization implemented. Anyway, hopefully I'm wrong about everything and the developers are actually cooking up something for WU players to bring us all back into the game. So this is why I suggested what I did, for things for them to notice with what effects players and hosts like me. However if nothing changes and if they really expect us to use mods and waste modder's time to allow us to make game tweaks, that's ridiculous at best and not something I'd expect from this company.

You always have the option of creating a GM char and just creating the stuff you need (from raw materials up to terraformed land and buildings) if you don't want to wait.  You can run any server size you like (more or less).  If you don't like the base game, you can mod it to be whatever you want.  WU is in no way abandoned by the devs, although it is second in line for updates - given which population continues to pay for the cost of running the dev team, that's not really surprising, and CC have never said it'll be otherwise.

Ultimately, if you don't like it, don't play it.  If you really feel you've been a victim of false advertising, ask for a refund.