Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Simple Cellars

Ok, here is a nice and simple way to add in cellars:

Construction

1.  Player plans a surface building

2.  Player right clicks to plan a floor tile and clicks "check for foundaiton"

2a.  Game checks the first depth of all four corners to see if it is deep enough to support a full story (and also checks water level, if the cellar would extend below water leve lt is prevented from being constructed)

2b.  If everything is good  it responds positively (go to 3), if not it responds negatively (go to 6)

3.  User plans a stair opening (of the type they want) using a shovel (this is not possible if the above check comes back negative)

4.  They construct this opening as per normal, and then bam, instant cellar (dirt just magically vanishes)

4a.  The cellar has a new type of wall ("dirt wall") that can be converted into any household wall in a similar way to reinforced mine tiles.

5.  They can extend the cellar anywhere under their house where a floor has been built and dirt depth conditions have been met

6.  If the dirt is too shallow, the option to "lay foundation" is given

6a.  Lay foundation will fail if a tunnel exists under the house, or within 1 tile of the house ("the ground is too unstable to lay a foundation")

6b.  Otherwise, it lowers the rock level (via a long series of mining actions, akin to surface mining) and thus allows a cellar to be built (it essentially converts some rock into dirt)

6c.  This can be done while underground and expanding a cellar.

Decay

1.  When a house decays, as soon as the floor above a cellar decays away, the cellar tile itself vanishes and is filled with dirt.

2.  To prevent stranding, a player in a cellar with no access point can click any wall and select "dig to surface" to teleport up to the surface.

• Like 8

+1

This is a really neat idea, one thing I'd like to add, is the option to be able to plan a cellar on an adjacent tile to a house, so we could have storm cellar style doors on the outside of our homes, would be a really nice aesthetic <3 

I like the idea of a cellar, but this idea really confused me. A cellar is used more for storage than anything else. Therefore it might just be easier to make a door for the cellar and have it act like a huge storage unit depending on the tile size of the house. Also make it so there is only one cellar per house so it can't be abused. The idea of being forced to make a foundation, doing checks, and so on, just adds a whole lot for something that'll will only have a single purpose; storage. If what you're saying is possible programming-wise, than I'm all for it.

• Like 1

+1
Maybe rename this "basement" rather than "cellar".  This sounds like a way to put a single basement floor under a house, I would love this.

Going to bump this one, mostly because it would make a smaller living footprint easier!

• Like 2

+1 I could use the extra in house storage space. ;) Would be perfect for a root cellar, wine cellar, or mausoleum space to name a few.