Sign in to follow this  
wipeout

What do you guys think wurm needs in order to get better?

As stated what do you guys think it needs?

I think it needs 1 a manager who oversees the staff on all levels and helps focus the team better and 2 a extra professional dev who can focus on fixing issues and is there purely to fix what is broken and 3 a bigger presence(social media and ads and such) and 4 an artist who is given the time to create great models and isnt rushed or says they cant do certain things

But what do you guys think?

While I'm overall quite happy with the game, I'd love a more involved combat system. For comparison, let's say we're not at a Morrowind level of combat system, I'd like to see similar improvements here as the elder scrolls underwent going to Oblivion and Morrowind.

So with active attacking and blocking, manual aiming for archery, etc. Current timers could then correspond to animation durations, with skills mainly having an effect on damage, the ability to break through blocks, and damage reduction, etc.

As a PvE player I would love to see that so hunting becomes even more interesting and involved.

Other things I think it needs is an environment that's trying to fight back a bit, for example with actual goblin/troll/etc tribes. Obviously that will require quite a bit of AI work, so that's always extra tricky.

At the same time being able to hire NPCs to do certain work for you could also be quite nice. For example if I really hate farming then it would be nice to hire a farmer. Obviously the convenience should come at a cost, be it silver, or a limit to how many tiles such a farmer can maintain. As it obviously should remain cheaper to buy a lot in bulk from other players. Many players after all like to make their own settlement, but at the same time those settlements feel quite dead because there's no activity besides those of the player.

Edited by Ecrir

38 minutes ago, Ecrir said:

At the same time being able to hire NPCs to do certain work for you could also be quite nice.

For example if I really hate farming then it would be nice to hire a farmer. Obviously the convenience should come at a cost, be it silver, or a limit to how many tiles such a farmer can maintain. As it obviously should remain cheaper to buy a lot in bulk from other players. Many players after all like to make their own settlement, but at the same time those settlements feel quite dead because there's no activity besides those of the player.

I dont want to see us able to hire NPC to do the work for us and if so what Ql would you get out of it ?

Should those NPC start on Ql 1 as us player do ? Dont think you want to hire then.

And as a farmer that spend alot of time (years) on fields to get to my level (or Ql), I would be angry (yes angry) if anyone could just pay a NPC to do same work on field,that I spent years to be able to.

Such change ingame would make me leave the game.

And Im sure many other, say weaponsmith, that take really long time to master, would say same.

Instead I think players that wont do the work themself should use those players that will do the work.

Make your own village filled with life, persons that do different work. Work that your village need, and can sell to other player to.

My deeds, both of them is farmland I dont got room for villagers, but I use other player to get what i need, since I cant do all myself.

24 minutes ago, Maiya said:

I dont want to see us able to hire NPC to do the work for us and if so what Ql would you get out of it ?

Should those NPC start on Ql 1 as us player do ? Dont think you want to hire then.

And as a farmer that spend alot of time (years) on fields to get to my level (or Ql), I would be angry (yes angry) if anyone could just pay a NPC to do same work on field,that I spent years to be able to.

Such change ingame would make me leave the game.

And Im sure many other, say weaponsmith, that take really long time to master, would say same.

Instead I think players that wont do the work themself should use those players that will do the work.

Make your own village filled with life, persons that do different work. Work that your village need, and can sell to other player to.

My deeds, both of them is farmland I dont got room for villagers, but I use other player to get what i need, since I cant do all myself.

Disclaimer: this post is not official intention to implement this system, it's just theoretical discussion.

A feasible solution for the hired help could be that the help tends the fields (maybe even sow too), while the player have to harvest them. That would be a reasonable "convenience" without creating the issue mentioned above. This obviously would not work for every skill, and to be honest there's a very limited amount of skills it would work for.

Something that I'm personally mildly open for is some kind of service you can hire to help you create bulk materials at a somewhat steep price or a unreasonable material wastage or a combination of both. For example, you could get 3 planks per log on average from this service, while a player gets 5 almost guaranteed even at low skills. At the same time you have to provide the materials AND pay the worker.

Theoretically, this could also be made into a mechanic where you can get 'workers' with less material waste, or hires for cheaper, etc...

Just something worth pondering.

It needs absolutely nothing.... it's already heading in the right direction.

Every few months we get nice additions, new features, and loads of bugfixes.  I don't ask for anything more :)

• Like 3

It needs less threads like these..wurm allways has been a low population game and fits only a special few.The way i imagine wurm with 10k+players is total chaos and i wouldn't last a day.

The dev team has been doing great great work.

• Like 2

Well.....Wurm is 

Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) 

which mean alot of player interacting with each other in a virtual world

please let us continue do that and not with alot of NPC

If you cant make what you need, someone in game can. 

So interact with rest of player instead. 

The money used too pay for such "help" can instead be payed to players to do same work. 

Lots of those way a newbie (and even old players) have to earn his/hers money, will go away if we get NPC to help out with easy work.

updated more often, than "once every six months" for WU.. would be top of my list..

I would love to see more NPC, but not just wandering NPC, but npc's who have the ability to be trained to do certain tasks,

another thing I would like to see is the game move forward from the medieval age, to machine age, as in water mills, windmill's and so on...

I mean it cant be that hard to take the game forward, instead of being stuck in the "dark ages of history" as it were .

• Like 1

If I were developing Wurm Online, the first thing I would do is classify Freedom as long-term legacy support, suitable for only minor changes. The economy is established, the players are veteran, and they expect things to be a certain way. I can't make big changes there to attract new people.

Contrarily, I would make Epic the place to attempt bigger, more fundamental, even risky changes. The population is minimal, and the veterans have already moved to Freedom.

So, with that in mind, I would begin to change Epic's core mechanics towards the following goals:

- Every activity should be fun in itself, not painful. All actions will thus have a minimum baseline reward; the game never tells the players they are wasting their time. RNG may occasionally reward you, but it won't destroy your effort. (Leave that to enemies!)
- New players are given more information about mechanics via the game itself. The rules should not be obfuscated, and I will not expect new players to bury themselves in the wiki to play my game. Awareness of the rules helps provide interesting gameplay decisions (Nimbleness or Wind of Ages on my weapon?).

So, here are details on how I might begin to do that, starting with a new player's experience on Epic:

- Non-premium players hitting the 20 skill cap continue to level past 20. The game only counts 20 as their base skill, but if they go prem, they unlock whatever they skilled past 20. The game also displays what they would unlock if they went prem.

- Display actual hit points, hit chance, weapon speed, etc., so that new players can make more informed decisions.

- Remove RNG creation failure. Creation has a hard skill requirement, displayed in the interface, so newbies know what to shoot for. Past that skill, creation success instead translates to resource usage and creation speed. A new player just able to create a hull plank will use far more materials and take longer than a master shipbuilder, but is guaranteed to get a low QL hull plank.

- Remove imping failure, and adjust imp sizes to compensate. Players can imp to their effective skill, and no farther. If I have effective weaponsmithing of 75, I can imp to 75 QL, and that's it. Straightforward, and intuitive. Furthermore, imping to my level would always involve the same scale of diminishing returns. Getting to 80% of my effective will be easy, getting to 90% will require significantly more time, and getting to 100% will take a very long time. This information is all readily available in the interface.

- Remove the concept of action failure completely. Skill and stats are given on every action. If you do something, you get skill in it.

- Difficulty determines possible actions. If mining gold is difficulty X, and I only have mining skill Y, I can't mine gold until I unlock skill X. Also, the interface makes all that plain. This gives new players clear capability goals to shoot for.

- Difficulty provides CoC-like exp bonuses to skills and stats, to encourage doing harder actions to get more gains. Again, action difficulties, requirements, and bonuses are readily displayed in the interface.

- Tighten RNG resource-gathering results, such as mining (making the resulting QL a bit more like chopping or farming, where it's random within a small range).

- Remove the concept of Mind Logic as a queueing limitation. Allow repetitive actions to be done via a single click until either the container/inventory/ground is full, a resource is gone, or the player's stamina bar is empty.

- Sleep bonus is tied to action timers; it only runs while timers run.

- As a deeper change, skillgain is decoupled from levels. Instead, each level requires a certain amount of experience to unlock (10 exp for level 2, 10 million for level 100, etc.). Skillgain is no longer dependent on timers or current level; mining rock will always give you 10 base mining exp, no matter how long it takes or what your level is. That's a more natural, intuitive system. (Yes, vets will be able to get exp faster, but as a percentage of what they need to level, it will be far less.)

I'll stop there, though I'd do a lot more. :) And yes, I ignored PvP, but that's because a brand new player to Wurm who starts on Epic isn't going to be encountering those particular issues immediately. If new players don't persist through the building-up phase, they'll never get to PvP.

At any rate, I think that would help make the initial new player experience on Epic a lot more friendly and fun.

Edited by Roccandil

Mini-uniques that spawns more frequently than the uniques we have. They shouldnt be able to be trapped and should be announced as the rifts, and give loot like the rifts loot system. Maybe add a final boss stage to rifts with these? 

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 2

What the game needs is not more things and aids to be able to do everything yourself (like those NPCs). It needs more incentives to play cooperatively and more interdependency... God, I sound like a broken record :P

• Like 1