Sign in to follow this  
cprn

Decentralizing Wurmpedia

Hello, first post here, nice to meet and hi... :) Now to the point.

According to Steam I'm 226 hours into WU. During that time I tried a number of servers and I can say there are certain oddities that strike a new player but the most important of them all, I think, is the inconsistency between facts provided by the built-in wiki browser and the game behavior. As a person documenting stuff on daily basis I want to suggest a solution - distributing a Wurmpedia instance with each Wurm Unlimited server and by default pointing the built-in browser to that copy. This way each GM/admin could keep local changes specific to their server and merge in global changes as updates come along. Mods, if any, could provide their own local changes during installation. This wouldn't be a difficult task to implement. Could even be separated from the server/client entirely by using any external versioning system for that matter. It would be trivial to keep wiki in the globally available repository and let the server admins create forks. That should be an extent of the work needed from the development team. It would be nice to have even more support, e.g. a variable in configs for a path to a local wiki copy or a localhost:port address, but even if there isn't one the community will probably figure this part out on their own, as well as how to pull updates and merge them in. It would also make it a very simple task for the modders to e.g. provide a git submodule for their wiki pages. It would even let admins install their own wiki themes and put all server relevant URLs and news in one place, have a separate wiki for a testing environment, go back and forth between whole wiki versions as needed, etc.

Please consider the above, don't think about work too much though and have an awesome weekend.

Cheers!

• Like 3

My server has been working on its own wurm wiki but I have not linked the in game to it just our website. I could be done but would take more effort then I am willing to do myself. It is a great idea but believe it falls to us modders to do it independently since each of our game setups as well as wiki setups would be different. +1  

I would enjoy seeing this.  I would also enjoy finding guides that were specific to WU and not have to be read and the changes from WO to WU figured out by the reader.

• Like 1

Just create a new wurmpedia website wupedia.com or something and use that. the IG pedia sucks anyway.

On 7/3/2018 at 2:39 AM, Madrax said:

Just create a new wurmpedia website wupedia.com or something and use that. the IG pedia sucks anyway.

The problem is mods can still change behaviors and add functionalities, in what I propose it's handled by simple `git merge` equivalent. Setting up the in-game browser to point to a different wiki website doesn't solve that. And maintaining a whole separate copy of wurmpedia is not somebody sane should try to do anyway.