Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

Bulk Bin QL Sorting

Not a new or novel idea here but one that seems to have been overlooked or relegated to the past. The suggestion is that bulk bins be enabled to auto-sort the QL of items by 10 QL increments, such as 1+, 10+, 20+, 30+, 40+, 50+, 60+, 70+, 80+, 90+. Many WU servers have this option and it is quite helpful when dropping items of varying QL into bins so that the QL will all not combine, as well as reducing the need for so many bins just for the sake of varying QL mats.

Players will no doubt still have a number of bins due to their total capacity but this option will make the more numerous smaller volume mats more central to a few bins. Also, if a priest casts *Bless* on a bin it removes (somehow) this sorting mechanism. Not really sure why this bin QL sorting has not been enabled for WO as well as it seems a very helpful feature to enable.

=Ayes=

• Like 3

I actually like having an aggregate bin of "cheap" materials, where "cheap" is something of my own definition. This is one major criticism to this idea, increments of 10QL do not neccessarily make sense for everyone, it's close to being a curve where intervals get small the higher the QL is, which also depends on your own highest quality you can produce. (Say, I can make strings of up to 85QL, then I'd want to save the 85QL strings for my high end imping, maybe some separate ~70-80QL and everything below is just general "cheap quality" for me, they can all be aggregated into one for all I care)

I'm not opposed to it if we have a choice, but I don't understand why it has to be locked behind having a priest to cast bless available. Especially when the cast is required to make the bins go back to their current default behaviour. If anything, the cast should enable the additional mechanism.

Actually, I'd spin this even further to address the first point(And this idea might also not be so novel but I haven't closely followed the discussion the last time this came up. But the above criticism stuck with me from that):

Enable BSBs to have "inventory groups" that a player with sufficient permissions can add to the BSB and define ranges of quality to be sorted into that group. Otherwise, even if WO had sorting bulk storage bins with these 10-increments, I believe many people would just resort to still using multiple BSBs to differentiate in their high end qualities. This might be tricky codewise, though, so I can't say how feasible this is with what CCAB has on their plate right now.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 2

I prefer the ability to choose how I split bulks - for some things, I care about smaller increments than 10, for others much larger.  Essentially, what Flubb said, so -1 from me.

I think it was on Sklotopolis that crates had a very simple option to make them sorted, or unsorted.

Sorted can indeed be very very useful, especially while traveling and knowing your "log" crate will not combine the fails and good logs.

Other times, unsorted is great to combine things that might not otherwise combine.  Again, logs for example when you can play with the overall QL depending on what you toss in there.

@Flubb's idea of letting players define the range themselves sounds great, but as pointed out, it might be a nightmare to code.  Dunno.

+1 to an easy switch.  Why not make everybody happy when possible.

• Like 2

+1000

I'm a fan of this option and have posted on it in the past.  I like the idea of doing it by 10QL increments, except for the last 90-100, where I want those by 1QL increments.  I agree that making code to allow people to choose their sort params would be troublesome.  I also think the feature should only be enabled by creating all new bulk containers.  Leave the classics as they are for people that have it just the way they like, then new bins for the auto sort crowd.

Here is a shameless plug for my previous post that discusses some new bulk storage types, that would also give us some more visual variety to how our storage looks.  I like the idea of different looking container types for different kinds of materials.  We have FSBs for edibles and all the new racks, which are wonderful and awesome visual improvements.  Bringing back wood variety is another great visual. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reylaark said:

I think it was on Sklotopolis that crates had a very simple option to make them sorted, or unsorted.

Yes, this WU server has the ability to switch bulk bins/crates from sorted to unsorted whenever desired. I just didn't want to suggest as it's a bit too uber to WO but yeah it's the ideal way.

2 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

I like the idea of doing it by 10QL increments, except for the last 90-100, where I want those by 1QL increments.

Yep, this is also enabled for above 90 QL on some WU servers.

For those who want to combine all QL's, if bins don't have the ability to switch from sorted/unsorted (like on WU) I just put mats into crates first to combine QL and then move items into the bulk sorted bins. As for large quantities of mats like dirt, shards and the like, these items can still be delegated by QL to separate bins as currently, even if this sorting mechanism were enabled.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
  • Like 1

It would be easy to set it up so each bulk container could be player configured in-game to sort by whatever quality range the player wants.

huge +1 from me.  

btw, You know that rares work fine going into bulk containers? All Wurm has to do is make a couple small changes to the code.

I am still thinking that this suggestion of bulk bins auto-sorting by increments of 10 QL would be very beneficial for Wurm Online and can't come up with any negative implications as to why not. Some WU servers have this ability which is very handy and works well for them, which is where the idea that it can be accomplished comes from.

=Ayes=

14 hours ago, Ayes said:

can't come up with any negative implications as to why not. Some WU servers have this ability which is very handy and works well for them

-1, It works well in wurm unlimited because many servers remove priest restriction. On wurm online it takes another character with premium to cast bless or neighbors. *shivers* neighbors... So I dont think making it auto sort by 10ql and bless remove would be nice. I also can't imagine the flip wise being as useful. I usually imagine people who begin working on a priest as much further advanced and already having enough bulk storage bins to store by quality. 

Big +1

As others have said, a spell is not needed on many of the WU servers that use this sorting mechanism.  It's a simple right-click toggle.  Sort or don't sort.  Personal choice, which is the ideal situation in my opinion.  I love that feature in WU. 

It sorts in increments of 10 but only up to 90. Above 90 it sorts by increments of 1.  I use non-sorting for low ql things like planks, pegs, nails, and other junk, and can have a nice tidy kitchen with only 2 FSB instead of 10. Same with smithing area etc., etc.  I use my bulk container units to sort by item type rather than ql level. Very efficient and pleasant working areas.

I see no way at all that anyone would be harmed by others using sorting, when they themselves could continue to do things exactly as they're doing now if that's what they prefer.  Personal choice.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

I'm relatively low-skilled for any harvesting aside from Farming. When cutting wood with my paltry skill of 55, I sort into 2 bins. 50+ and "wood". I do the same for rock shards and other harvestables. Farming is 90+ and "seed stock" IF they implement something like this, I would much rather it be something purpose built or having one of those newly redone priest spells cast on it.

"Sorted bulk container" & "Sorted Food Container" and have it be a large shelf-like item.