Sign in to follow this  
sEeDliNgS

Sand wood to prep for dye

So now with the great wood colours, dyes are a bit different than they may have been, and will kinda blend in... So what if we had a sander (or used metal brush or something) to prep something for dye. It could maybe make a wood colour 50% whiter/look kind of faded, which will make your dyes show up a little stronger. Or could even sand the wood and leave it for a faded look? I dunno but could be cool.

• Like 6

+1 if optional. Especially if it offers additional looks to our wood items. 

• Like 1

And maybe apply some vegetable/seed oil for polish if you have regrets and want wood colour back. Could make perfect circle of interchanging from, pale wood good for dying, wood texture, just color on pale wood, and color +wood texture on same item. +1

• Like 2

Sandpaper is more of a modern day invention, doesn't really belong in the medieval era. If you want to have darker colors, a better idea would be the ability to add tar to these woods. Hell, even allow us to obtain pine tar from pine trees, which was very common in medieval times.

+1 to prepping wood and distressing wood

+1 to mineral oil (just example) to restore wood

23 hours ago, Trenix said:

Sandpaper is more of a modern day invention, doesn't really belong in the medieval era. If you want to have darker colors, a better idea would be the ability to add tar to these woods. Hell, even allow us to obtain pine tar from pine trees, which was very common in medieval times.

check out :

https://www.livescience.com/57063-viking-tools-found-at-mysterious-fortress.html

I think there's little doubt at this point that vikings were sophisticated crafters.  If they used sharkskin, or another kind of fish skin, to sand wood (which is possible to do), that would not have survived the archaeological record.

I don't know of any studies that might have looked at viking artifacts / ships / etc. for any evidence of sanding.  Not certain that evidence would have survived actual usage either.

Really don't think it's beyond the realm of reason though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Reylaark said:

+1 to prepping wood and distressing wood

+1 to mineral oil (just example) to restore wood

check out :

https://www.livescience.com/57063-viking-tools-found-at-mysterious-fortress.html

I think there's little doubt at this point that vikings were sophisticated crafters.  If they used sharkskin, or another kind of fish skin, to sand wood (which is possible to do), that would not have survived the archaeological record.

I don't know of any studies that might have looked at viking artifacts / ships / etc. for any evidence of sanding.  Not certain that evidence would have survived actual usage either.

Really don't think it's beyond the realm of reason though.

Scraper, plane, and dogfish skin are some possibilities.