Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Wood Type Feedback Thread

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:41 PM, Ohana said:

Oh yes give us Veneer! So we would still need to have the wood type to change it but we could just slap some veneer on it to change wood type!

I think if the Devs do decide to enable the changing of wood types on created objects this would be a sensible way to do it. Just make some *Veneer* from a log of the desired wood, activate it and apply it to the object. It should be just a simple process like that, with the only somewhat time consuming process being the creation of the Veneer (obviously a Carpentry skill product).

=Ayes=

• Like 3

Last part decides wood type is already horrible as it is. Wood really needs some love in the game, not just visual.

I think majority of wood used SHOULD determine bonuses... last part can determine wood type for visual like Veneer. A wire brush or planer could remove that veneer and allow people to re-add the veneer to change the 'appearance' wood type.

Bonuses should be tied to overall wood % used, with at least >50% of that type if you want the bonuses.

We don't just add 1 bit of seryll to an iron sword to make it seryll... Lets fix the wood industry.

Edited by Diceusinfinitus
  • Like 4

On 2/16/2018 at 0:50 PM, Budzilla said:

Please don't let us simply change the wood types of objects with some gimicky object. If someone wants something made of a specific wood, they should have to make it as such from the get go.

Yeah, shame on us for not using our future-vision 1-5 years ago to predict what the new wood types would look like.

Back on topic:

Seeing some good ideas revolving around the same concept.

If not "change the wood type", add an extra painting step for those who want it.  You can either dye right on the wood and get the "blend" result, or first coat it with a "white base" (water, lye, and crushed marble shards?) which'll allow the actual dye's color to stay as such.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2018 at 6:53 AM, Muse said:

This is an interesting thread as it it trying to solve several problems simultaneously:

Wood composition:

• The base grain of the wood
  • The base colour of the wood (i.e silver/grey or other neutral tone)
  • The wood colour layer, which is dependent on wood-type

And the effect of dye on wood - is it:

• A stain that blends with the woodtype colour layer OR
  • A paint that overlays the woodtype colour OR
  • A paint that overlays the woodtype colour and base colour layers OR
  • A  paint that overlays the wood completely including grain texture?
  • Could the QL of the dye affect the opacity? e.g. A sliding scale between low QL dye (stain) and high QL dye (opaque)

The absorbency of the material:

• Does this same dye have a similar effect on other materials such as cloth sails or metal for example, or does it behave this way only to wood items e.g
  • Does it behave like a stain on absorbent materials like wood and cloth, but a paint on metal?

What do we need to achieve?

• Bright colours (paint) OR
  • Subtle effect (stain) OR
  • Both

Dyes could be really nice if we push their capabilities further like this.  February's dye update is very nice.  I missed it until now, but I'm impressed!

The quoted post got me thinking.  Could we make dyes include an alpha transparency channel (or maybe use QL for it) to emulate the paint vs. stain spectrum?  Higher quality dyes could act as more of a paint replacing the wood grain textures, while lower quality dyes could act like a stain that just alters the color of the existing texture.  As something separate from woad, copper lump, and cochineal, we could have an additional item that acts as a primer, turning the resulting dye into more of a paint instead of a stain.

On 16.02.2018 at 6:50 PM, Budzilla said:

Please don't let us simply change the wood types of objects with some gimicky object. If someone wants something made of a specific wood, they should have to make it as such from the get go.

I agree. That's the next part of making wurm so easy. Build something once, and do with it whatever you want forever. Back then, game required from us way more thinking, planning, working. Now something goes wrong, and you can write to devs and "fix the game". If there was new feature, every interested person would start working on new stuff. Now even that's too much for them.

• Like 2

Just back as of yesterday from a long hiatus. The first thing I noticed (other than of course my deed being looted down to the bone) was that the remaining wooden items looked... odd.

Prior to said hiatus, all the unique wood colors had pretty much been stripped. I don't suppose it's possible to just go back to that originalawesome unique wood system and skip the rest of this? ;)

• Like 1

"That's right, wood effects are coming back, and in force! From bee hives, to chairs, to buckets, bsbs, fsbs, carts, crate racks, catapults, and beyond, Saroman has been hard at work adding in the effects of all wood types on wooden models. His workshop is a gigantic mess of all things wooden, with his friendly supervisor looking on."

Is this still happening???? :)

Oh for my willow stuff to look willow again!

The wood shading system is in, you're commenting in the thread about it happening and being live. 

Each wood (and metal now) type creates a corresponding shade to items, they're not separate textures, which would be far too time and performance intensive, but utilise a new shader system made possible with the 4.0 client. 

Ongoing work such as normal and specular mapping will increase the organic look of a lot of things, likely to include wooden and metal items too 

• Like 1

I see now that I misread one of the earlier posts. I thought it reverted back to the old system. Alas, that is not the case. Cedarwood looks so... Linden now... But, I'll have to experiment and find new looks I like. Thanks!

On 07/02/2018 at 2:32 PM, Muse said:

Thought so :)

Thank you for your efforts so far, oleanderwood boats are looking amazing :) 

Holy smokes how does one get a piece of oleanderwood wo a wand or Dev??

Just wondering ¶$@l@m∆n

5 minutes ago, Psalamon said:

Holy smokes how does one get a piece of oleanderwood wo a wand or Dev??

Just wondering ¶$@l@m∆n

There are plants at a rift that give a few oleander logs.

Are there any wood types currently missing wood shaders?

I'm including unusual types you can't normally get. For instance, I have a thornwood shield from an event.

Also, are shaders applied to items that are normally one type of material, but are specially made out of another? For instance, would an iron small barrel have the iron shader, or an oak backpack have the oak shader?

On 2/8/2018 at 1:13 PM, Retrograde said:

Carts will likely need further tweaking, and are on our list to adjust (I want that nice blue back!) 

(two and a half months later) Still waiting for that promised tweaking on carts!!

(and maybe a look match for items made from same wood type, but looking totally different based on the item? check, for example, items made from olivewood).

5 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Are there any wood types currently missing wood shaders?

I'm including unusual types you can't normally get. For instance, I have a thornwood shield from an event.

Also, are shaders applied to items that are normally one type of material, but are specially made out of another? For instance, would an iron small barrel have the iron shader, or an oak backpack have the oak shader?

I don't think any of the "abnormal" wood types but Oleanderwood have textures, but I could be wrong.