Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Wood Type Feedback Thread

7 hours ago, Wulfmaer said:

There's a thought - we already have wemp, so could be a use for wempseed oil (or maybe flax could be added as a new crop type - which could also add linen as a new textile), and beeswax for polishing.

Walnut, hazelnut, chestnut, cottonseed oils should works just fine for wurm, heck even olive and fennelseed oil should be used not sure if we have any else in game. So far i think best solution is to have neutral light texture upon creating and using oil to reveal wood texture. Using new item sharkskin to sand it back to neutral should be interesting(more reasons to hunt sharks) or just metal brush if devs are so lazy :P

I love that anyone took the time to try to give us back wood textures.  I know it had to have been alot of work.  I LOVED my applewood boats.  most of them were finished in that because it was my favorite as well as many others.  What we have now is nowhere near that.  Sorry but can we get the old applewood back?

• Like 3

oak was supposed to be a very very light colored wood like willow, not a dark wood like cedar...? wtf happened

Sadly, I do not have a better "before" screenshot, but both carts are cedar; the one to the left is a good ql blue, the one to the right a good ql purple.

Blue one: Wood  colors: r=31, g=31, b=215.

Purple one: Wood  colors: r=150, g=19, b=218.

Both are looking like made out of plastic and nowhere like the colours shown using a RGB calculator.

38b606a8709443fc775306465c8d0ba1.jpg

Oak and willow and lemonwood and applewood, all look odd; all black painted items are more brownish than black.

2 hours ago, KalinMenajin said:

These woods I do like, a lot.

DuukNS7.jpg

I really like orange... such a Presidential color.

9 hours ago, Evening said:

Sadly, I do not have a better "before" screenshot, but both carts are cedar; the one to the left is a good ql blue, the one to the right a good ql purple.

Blue one: Wood  colors: r=31, g=31, b=215.

Purple one: Wood  colors: r=150, g=19, b=218.

Both are looking like made out of plastic and nowhere like the colours shown using a RGB calculator.

38b606a8709443fc775306465c8d0ba1.jpg

Oak and willow and lemonwood and applewood, all look odd; all black painted items are more brownish than black.

I don't think they're going to change this, just have to adapt to the wood textures. My black cart turned brownish because it was cedarwood so I made a oleanderwood cart and dyed it black now it's really black again. It sucks but it is what it is. If they do change it, allow people to select what wood they want or allow them to change it, I suggested how I'd fix this issue a few posts up.

Vanta black oleanderwood cart:

7ab2d8cfc61fdf5b6131cb6681c2f666.jpg

6qawuEO.jpg

Apple is different than what it was, I need to remake my boats.. ;)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Niki said:

I don't think they're going to change this, just have to adapt to the wood textures. My black cart turned brownish because it was cedarwood so I made a oleanderwood cart and dyed it black now it's really black again. It sucks but it is what it is. If they do change it, allow people to select what wood they want or allow them to change it, I suggested how I'd fix this issue a few posts up.

I'm sorry but i'm building my carts out of cedar only. I don't want to build them out of any other wood just so i can dye them that's stupid

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kochinac said:

I'm sorry but i'm building my carts out of cedar only. I don't want to build them out of any other wood just so i can dye them that's stupid

im the same way but with oak... and naturally wurm broke oak...

7 hours ago, kochinac said:

It sure is but do you really think they're going to revert something they've been working on so it can please you? No. Just adapt like I have. Maybe if  we're lucky they'll do the blessed plank suggestion or somthing similar, that would fix everything tbh.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Niki said:

If they do change it, allow people to select what wood they want or allow them to change it

If the Devs could enable an ability to *easily* change the wood types of items I would think this would be the best solution. This way their wood colors/textures would not need to be significantly modified. I do see that they have been working on the dye/wood combinations some as my large carts have gone through a few phases of different shadings since this started.

=Ayes=

I'm against Cedar becoming any darker/redder/orange. Cedar comes in a white and a red cedar. 

Lets lighten cedar back up, so it doesn't muddy out all the dye that is already on it. Since textures are not really textures but shaders. Lets add a Red Cedar or "Redwood". Have that one be a red/darer color and have the same properties as Cedar in game.

Save Cedar!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ayes said:

If the Devs could enable an ability to *easily* change the wood types of items I would think this would be the best solution. This way their wood colors/textures would not need to be significantly modified. I do see that they have been working on the dye/wood combinations some as my large carts have gone through a few phases of different shadings since this started.

=Ayes=

With how my deed looks, even I would love the ability to change wood types... but I can't make any promises on this front. Only join my voice in right now. :)

Bit more thought:

As a developer I do see some issues with making this happen in a sensible way, though there's also probably a dozen similar techniques that we've seen used elsewhere. I'm sure some will point out that Wurm is about making choices and having those choices count. We have been making those choices easier to change though in the name of quality of life though. For example, you can remove the wood trim on a stone wall and re-apply it easily enough. For wood types, trying to think of a mechanic that would "make sense" even with a bit of "wogic" is still hard. Do we have a system where you just beat the item with the type you want and say it rubbed off on it? Do we go with a "wood stain" sort of technique, which would open up a likely can of wurms if we were to ever want to provide this as a proper feature in the future (plus that's not how it really works at all!). I didn't read the idea, but it sounds like someone brought up priests? That might be feasible, but I'm sure we'll have some folks who would take issue with making the priest a requirement.

Of course there's always alchemy, which could be sold and create a market...

Retro isn't going to be happy with me brainstorming like this, but I rarely share my brainstorming. :) (And I hate my wood types!)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Keenan said:

With how my deed looks, even I would love the ability to change wood types... but I can't make any promises on this front. Only join my voice in right now. :)

Oh yes give us Veneer! So we would still need to have the wood type to change it but we could just slap some veneer on it to change wood type!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_veneer

• Like 3

How about making the dye act more like paint. Making it opaque so the dye/paint colour dominates rather than interacting with the underlying wood colour.

• Like 1

Yes I think we've never been sure whether dye is a stain, or a paint - I think we need to differentiate between the two effects and either decide, or have two products :) Just an idea.

Edited by Muse
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Keenan said:

Do we have a system where you just beat the item with the type you want and say it rubbed off on it?

Well considering..

we smash a log on a chair and claim it improved it

we smash things like woad and copper into liquid dye to change the rgb

etc...

just like log+lye or something makes a woodchangerthing that we smash onto our carts, fits wurm perfectly

• Like 1

since currently the problem with the dye is that the wood items have a layer over them (wood type) that works same as dye and so when the dye layer gets thrown on top of that it you see the 2 colors blended together...

simple fix: applying dye removes the wood-type layer and then only leaves the dye layer? removing the dye would just do the same thing in reverse, remove the dye layer and put the wood-type layer back on?

this would solve 100% of the problems and would make dye more reliable for any wood-type as the color would always work the same way reguardless of wood-type so a 5/5/5 black dye on cedar cart would look exactly the same as any other cart with 5/5/5 dye

Edited by Evilreaper
  • Like 2

Birch is supposed to be a really blond wood type.

Miss-Holly-bjork-miljo-jonas-lindvall-St

Edited by Cecci

Yeah, I have oak furniture that is both new and old and the old stuff is pretty dark while my oak Billy Shelves are still fairly blond.

I also have a semi old kitchen sofa in birch that has become more yellow over the years, compared to my Billy shelves in birch.

Compared to for example pine birch darkens less with time. ie Birch will always remain more blonde than pine or any other of our wood types, except for linden maybe.

Edited by Cecci

This is an interesting thread as it it trying to solve several problems simultaneously:

Wood composition:

• The base grain of the wood
  • The base colour of the wood (i.e silver/grey or other neutral tone)
  • The wood colour layer, which is dependent on wood-type

And the effect of dye on wood - is it:

• A stain that blends with the woodtype colour layer OR
  • A paint that overlays the woodtype colour OR
  • A paint that overlays the woodtype colour and base colour layers OR
  • A  paint that overlays the wood completely including grain texture?
  • Could the QL of the dye affect the opacity? e.g. A sliding scale between low QL dye (stain) and high QL dye (opaque)

The absorbency of the material:

• Does this same dye have a similar effect on other materials such as cloth sails or metal for example, or does it behave this way only to wood items e.g
  • Does it behave like a stain on absorbent materials like wood and cloth, but a paint on metal?

What do we need to achieve?

• Bright colours (paint) OR
  • Subtle effect (stain) OR
  • Both
  • Like 1

I personally don't see the issue or fuss with changing out wood types, either by alchemy or priests, or both - whatever just give us the option. QoL isn't a bad thing if you make it benefit something else.

Please don't let us simply change the wood types of objects with some gimicky object. If someone wants something made of a specific wood, they should have to make it as such from the get go.

Edited by Budzilla
  • Like 3