Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Wood Type Feedback Thread

(1) - GLSL enabled.  Rare pinewood cart. Dye= 13,13,13 (decent black)

47928fbc12d67b5f2c2d6e57c79cb2dd.jpg

(1) - GLSL disabled.

54f79954165e543fe00cf3b768b03a65.jpg

(2) - GLSL Disabled. Cedarwood cart.  74,8,134 (indigo)

bd76bfc1927de31d55f04bb553f553e0.jpg

(2) - GLSL enabled.

08d7264fbf147aa41ca8a0bae35b0096.jpg

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Wood "textures" for EVERY wooden item would increase the amount of textures for any furniture to about 17-18 or so, reducing client performance and stretching out dev work so far that introducing new wooden items would be a nightmare. 

This system means the colour shading is done on the fly, any wooden item introduced has the client colour it instead of Saroman needing to do over a dozen different textures. This method was always our goal due to those reasons, and while it does need some tweaking, we're confident it's the way to go for looks AND performance

We're taking feedback about things that look bad with dyes (which is something I personally consider very important!) So don't worry, this system is extremely flexible and I'll be pestering Saroman lots! 

None shaded wooden items will also be worked on, we expect this to be in 3 or 4 large chunks, but we will see. 

I was all excited about this update, having the wood type actually matter in the way things look..... but not so much after reading this. The different wood types having a unique texture is whats important, not the coloring or shading. By changing the color shading your only taking the color that was already there and making it a darker or lighter brown tint. Anyone willing to spend the time can dye their wood furnishing's with a lighter/darker brown tint to it, so i dont see a big advantage in having changed this.

It may just be me but I don't think that's what people were expecting with this update.

• Like 5

Cedar is brighter and more orange than it used to be back when woods were enabled. Oak looks more polished and closer to what cedar was. Oak Knarr and Cedar Knarr look very very close.

On a walnut cart dyed green (vivid) now I see it brown as if never painted. Walnut, however, has great texture and color. Oak barrel looks cool. Oak cart not.

Willow sailboat is less grey-ish than the old willow and looks shabbier.

Pine is also better than before. Maple much worse.

These are the noticeable differences, but I don't mind. I can live with them.

When there's seemingly extremely subtle differences between the appearance of different woodtypes, it would be great if things made from the same wood actually looked like it. The bed, chest, coffer and bucket in this screenshot are all cherrywood, but could easily believe it if someone told me they were all made from different woodtypes.

qnQivXF.jpg

Also really sad at the loss of texture on olivewood items. That's kind of the point of olivewood in the real world

And I'm not even going to get into how a lot of things just look like someone went crazy with Ronseal.

Despite all this negativity, I'm still happy wood 'textures' were added back to the game. Conclusion is that despite all the hard work I'm grateful for: 'could do better'

• Like 1

i paint large sign white but nothing happend... heh....

i wish we can paint markert stalls or atlast roofs too...

now i need to destroy and replace many becose was made in time when wood type was not inportend...

use to have this really nice blue cart  [12:03:44] A fairly large two wheel cart designed to be dragged by an animal. This is a very rare and interesting version of the item. Wood  colors: r=15, g=15, b=236. It is locked with a lock of very poor quality. It has an interesting aura. It is made from walnut. You must use a mallet on the " Vengeful One" in order to improve it. Ql: 40.426632, Dam: 0.0. The name of the owner, Barricade, has been etched in the stern.

https://prnt.sc/ibezgc

not so blue anymore lol

https://prnt.sc/ibnwgv

Carts will likely need further tweaking, and are on our list to adjust (I want that nice blue back!) 

• Like 3

Does this include Doors and Windows on houses ..i really hope for them at some point when dying a house .

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Carts will likely need further tweaking, and are on our list to adjust (I want that nice blue back!) 

Yea, my cart made from maplewood looks kind of unrealistic and plastic. The wagon has also that plastic feeling even though it's different woodtype. Like the deeper textures of the wood haven't adjusted and the shadowy parts are missing. Also, maplewood color itself reminds me of baby poo all the time... :D 

Otherwise I think wood colors look awesome!

I am not really liking that the items inside large carts are not dyed along with the cart as before the update. Now they look out of place as just a few junk items inside the cart and their contrast is too dramatic. In comparison the bolts on sides and metal wheel rim contrast looks nice though. Also, my brite  green large cedarwood carts are now a lot duller.

=Ayes=

I am with the people that are grateful that wood textures were added back but disappointed in the actual colors. Cedarwood looks ugly brown now instead of the warm reddish hue it had before. In fact undyed woods look too similar (and yes I have GSLD enabled) but they all look boring brown now. No deep colors anymore :/   My rare dyed red cart (cedarwood ) looks the same though. Thanks for doing this despite my negativity, Im hoping the cedarwood texture can be adjusted.

• Like 1

I was surprised with the color chosen for Cedar items. This is a comparison of Maple and Cedar carts. Maple on the left Cedar on the right. None of the carts have any dye on them GNypKKK.jpg

Cedar should be more rosy colored Image result for cedar cartcolor can vary with varnishes Image result for cedar cart

I understand it would be hard to put variegation in the colors, but maybe just go with that rosy hue most cedar has?

Also, the maple color on that cart is not the same as the maple color on my fsb. I appreciate all the hard work you guys put in on this  :) Thank you for your time.

aVe6F2x.jpg

• Like 3

I'm sure the issues and colour variations of the same type on different items will be ironed out, and thank you for all the work!

My concern is not the colours, they are easily adjustable I think, but carts and a few other items look like if they have lost their 3D looking textures - carts (and large chests) are the most noticeable to me. The two words that I heard from other players and fit best to the change is that carts look like if made of plastic or cartoonish. Somehow the textures now lack their former depth.

The parts that looked real 3D-ish, like the barrel or large chest metal ribbons now look more like if painted on the items. I find it very hard to explain it, I hope it goes through...

I'm excited about the possibilities this update brought into the game, we can live with the series of future tweaks. I'll wait before repainting anything until the changes are final.

Edited by Jaz

On 2/7/2018 at 3:28 PM, MrCoolMan said:

Just noticed Black dye and Walnut is a good combo, i have sat up a test station for dye but to do it right i can only get good test results from daylight atm missing some large marble braziers to help my checking.

same dye on , theese 2

walnut left and pinewood right.

colors: r=23, g=23, b=23.

WCVscuA.jpg?1

oh man, i really like the color on the left for a knarr! :D

My GLSL is set to Core whatever that means and my barrels also looks all the same and the maple cart is ugly (not dyed) and so is the cedar and they look alike!!!  Wagons also looks ugly!!!  I'm very disappointed because the boats looks great they look like they used to and  I thought the wood texture would be the same we used to own before it all turned the same wood texture...is there a reason why the same code could not be used again to prevent this mess?  Hopefully it gets fixed because some of these colors looks very ugly with or without dye and if we must dye everything to make it look decent then that's just pathetic.  The ONLY good looking thing so far is the chestnut wood type and the boats...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Silencia said:

Cedar should be more rosy colored

why do you have a picture showing red wood?

cedar has a wide range of color, but if you want the color most people associate with cedar then go with olympic stain #716

• Like 1

I really wouldn't like cedar to be so extremly reddish as cedar is only wood type that have advantage over other woods with making carts. wagons, ships and containers in slower decay and I (and a lot of other people i hope) tend to make most items out of cedar, and oak for tools. So having wood textures didn't even mattered to me, as i made everything in one wood type only, II'm not against having wood textures for other people that want to play with them, but don't want that to mess my basicly only wood type that i use for other reasons than looks to something ugly or extreme like overly reddish cedar. And yeah i agree that carts looks worst, also pmk wagons looks strange to me in combination with their custom cloth part and wood, wood texture is too strong and drows away attention from pmk design imo.

There is suggestion for having option to sand wood to neutral texture that would be good for coloring(with player made dyes) and i humbly added suggestion to use oil(which doesn't have much use) to polish it back to wood texture. That would everyone give option for their liking. I hope you'll consider something like that and thanks for asking for feedback on the matter :)

Edited by kochinac
  • Like 1

Thought this link might be useful to the discussion when identifying what people are looking for a bit more precisely?

http://www.wood-database.com/

Edit: not suggesting anything needs to stay true to what's listed there.  For example, when I think of Cherry furniture, I imagine it more like Chakte Kok because of furniture I have in real life.  It's just a frame of reference.

Edited by Reylaark
expanding
  • Like 6

Cedar isn't this orange in RL.

Great update and I truly mean that. However why are you guys not giving us options to choose from? Personally I think we should be able to change the appearance of any item at any time. It should keep it's base wood in examine. It should get a illusion to go over it, aka use a blessed plank of your choosing on a item, done. This would make a lot mose sense rather than force feeding us changes and expecting us to deal with how it is, this just makes people get angry. I'm not angry though, okay maybe a little over the loss of some of the textures. Not everyone is going to be this helpful giving feedback, they'll just stop playing and we don't want that!

Give us the basic wood texture back also, a lot of people liked it.

Thanks.

Edited by Niki

I dont wanna discard anybodys work but in my opinion the wood colours are a failure. It's not like that in real life, and thats why it looks really funny ingame. Cedar is just straight up orange, and oak is as brown as palisander, or wenge irl... In real life the different wood types not necessarily have different colors, but different textures. The olivewood is a good example, yeah the colour is a bit different, but the texture is where the real difference is. Same between pine and oak - they're all pretty yellowish, pale woods but the texture is really different.
In my opinion it worked way better a few years ago, when there was a texture difference. Now it just looks like somebody came at night and painted all my stuff.

[edit]

I just want to clarify that I mainly meant that about carts and wagons. The furniture seems to blend in much nicer, but wagons look especially weird. Also there are the painting issues but a lot of people already posted about it.

Edited by Vomusu
  • Like 2

I didn't check all wood types but many items look horrible now, very unrealistic not even coming close to the RL look of the wood types. The original wood colors from a few years ago looked a lot better. Also the rarity glow is just weird right now.

• Like 1

Wood doesn't keep its newly cut colour very long outside in the real world - it soon turns silvery grey with exposure to the elements, which I think is what we were used to before the update (you can still see this colour on the wooden plank fences).

In order to achieve the bright wood colours, wood products usually need to be stained or varnished and kept indoors, well polished.

With this in mind it might explain why some of the furniture and indoor items look very good indeed as expected, but carts and outdoor items perhaps look like they have been recently stained with a wood preserver.

Perhaps an idea for an update would be keep the silver grey hue for carts wagons and fences - outdoor things, but have the option to dye or stain them with dyes including the various wood colours if preferred.

Edited by Muse
  • Like 1

Maybe the wood items should have a default texture when created (or maybe just a little bit of colour), but players should have an option to stain them with oil, so it reveals the real colour of the wood? It's kinda like that in real life, here are some planks before and after covering it with linseed oil.

Spoiler

IMG_1513.jpg

mahogany.jpg

Wood_painted_with_boiled_linseed_oil.jpg

-598a04de3.jpg

Edited by Vomusu
  • Like 1

There's a thought - we already have wemp, so could be a use for wempseed oil (or maybe flax could be added as a new crop type - which could also add linen as a new textile), and beeswax for polishing.

Edited by Wulfmaer
  • Like 3