Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Wood Type Feedback Thread

Hi all!

Please post feedback about the new wood type shaders here. Include the item's name and a link to an image if possible along with a brief description of what you expected. Please make sure the item is not dyed. Keep in mind that dyed items may look different now due to the blending of the dye color and the new wood shaders.

• Like 3

Please include both the dye color (if it is painted) AND the wood type of the item.

• Like 1

Pretty cool, i like that even the bulk bins etc are wood types.

Edited by Beastwolf

From now on, it's very cool.
Introduced retroactively like this, it created kind of a aesthetical mess, but well, whatever, i guess.
Items that were dyed of some colors remained similar, some othesr became brown from purple or some other obscenity, and that's not really nice, but again, whatever, i guess.

Ok, edit:
Example: this cedarwood cart, used to be colored of a pleasant blue-ish color, now it's some horrible sort of pinkbrown, and my first tought is "what? why? how?"
[21:19:46] A fairly large two wheel cart designed to be dragged by an animal. Wood  colors: r=96, g=81, b=149. (cut)
MZhfEuB.png

+
Oakenwood barrel, used to look some pleasant sort of blueish-purple, is now brown with a shade of pink
[21:25:41] A large wooden barrel, strengthened by iron ribbons. Wood  colors: r=96, g=81, b=149. Ql: 8.45141, Dam: 0.0.
qW7JT22.png
Cedarwood, used to be pretty much blue, now they seem grey/colorless
[21:37:10] A small wooden sign. You can barely make out the signature of its maker,  'D.vi.'. Wood  colors: r=52, g=84, b=167. Ql: 54.197838, Dam: 3.7248678.
LbxaNEr.png

Edited by Davih

1 minute ago, Davih said:

From now on, it's very cool.
Introduced retroactively like this, it created kind of a aesthetical mess, but well, whatever, i guess.
Items that were dyed of some colors remained similar, some othesr became brown from purple or some other obscenity, and that's not really nice, but again, whatever, i guess.

It's not "whatever", that's exactly what this thread is for - if you post pictures and the details of the items which look bad dyed we'll try to find what the issue is and tweak it to look better.

• Like 8

AAny chance of fixing Trash heaps and crates to show woodgrains?  Both have same (ukky) graphics as before.

Edited by Mitzie
  • Like 1

High ql Black dye on cedarwood supreme carts now looks awful, brownish looking.

zneedforspeed.PNG?width=1384&height=676

Just noticed Black dye and Walnut is a good combo, i have sat up a test station for dye but to do it right i can only get good test results from daylight atm missing some large marble braziers to help my checking.

same dye on , theese 2

walnut left and pinewood right.

colors: r=23, g=23, b=23.

WCVscuA.jpg?1

• Like 2

Only thing i been thinking on is why so much red in the woods + yellow tones. Lemon texture has gone from brightest to something i dont really know. anyhow my input on textures atleast.

• Like 1

Ok I have a suggestion. With how wood type applied by different tones and only one texture is likely the only solution regarding performance, but you will never get a good dye result when the two tones are mixed together. 

My suggestion is that dye color should not be mixed with the wood type tone but use a neutral tone and only mixed with the clean texture of the wood structure.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Sandyar said:

Ok I have a suggestion. With how wood type applied by different tones and only one texture is likely the only solution regarding performance, but you will never get a good dye result when the two tones are mixed together. 

My suggestion is that dye color should not be mixed with the wood type tone but use a neutral tone and only mixed with the clean texture of the wood structure.

Anyway I'm sad that the legacy textures are fully removed now - I liked a lot my cherry and oak large chests...

• Like 6

The dev team has done a great job on updates lately and the current one allowing coloring of wood and cloth parts of items separately is brilliant. But I was under the impression and really hoping that the old wood textures would come back for all wood items (like crates and bsbs etc) and stay the same for ones like barrels and beds. I really liked the wood textures they had before todays update and I was really sad when they removed them from most items including bsbs a few years ago. Now wood items (barrels at least) all look the same =(. I miss my olive wood barrels. Now wood items just look blah. Can we have the old wood textures back for all wood items please? Thank you.

https://imgur.com/a/qKCEP

Barrel wood types from left to right: Olive, birch, oak, linden, pine, cedar.

Dirk

Edited by Dirt
  • Like 6

i was thinking about when making dyes, i have to regard to 14 diffrent textures, ok i can adapt np there, but ppl that already have theirs rares carts and other things how about them, coz some colors cant more or less be made atm

Edited by MrCoolMan
*cough misstyped*

6 minutes ago, Dirt said:

The dev team has done a great job on updates lately and the current one allowing coloring of wood and cloth parts of items separately is brilliant. But I was under the impression and really hoping that the old wood textures would come back for all wood items (like crates and bsbs etc) and stay the same for ones like barrels and beds. I really liked the wood textures they had before todays update and I was really sad when they removed them from most items including bsbs a few years ago. Now wood items (barrels at least) all look the same =(. I miss my olive wood barrels. Can we have the old wood textures back for all items please? Thank you.

https://imgur.com/a/qKCEP  (barrel wood types from left to right: Olive, birch, oak, linden, pine, cedar).

Dirk

That's either a bug or you have GLSL turned off in Compatibility settings of the client - let me know which one it is so I know if we need to investigate further.

GLSL compatible machine (and settings) is a requirement for wood types to look different.

• Like 2

Some items seem not to have been included:

Spinning wheels have not been given the new colour treatment, nor have crates or crate racks, nor have small barrel racks or wine barrel racks, nor have huge (oil) barrels, which look the same as before.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

18 minutes ago, Samool said:

That's either a bug or you have GLSL turned off in Compatibility settings of the client - let me know which one it is so I know if we need to investigate further.

GLSL compatible machine (and settings) is a requirement for wood types to look different.

Samool,

Thanks for the tip, I turned on GLSL and now they all look different. Not exactly what I was hoping for (how they looked yesterday) but they look good =). And all my bsbs are colored now thanks Dev team =) I'm happy.

https://imgur.com/a/ba1LY

Wood types from left to right: Olive, birch, oak, linden, pine, cedar.

Edited by Dirt
  • Like 1

17978e734f7ceec12f81a9e58b7b64ec.jpg

This was the same colour as the fence behind last night, I am not impressed :P

colors: r=13, g=13, b=130.

no idea what the exact dye ql would have been as it was around 3 years ago, but if I had to say it was probably around 60-70ql dye.

cart is cedarwood

This is what it looked like before (a little tinted because of the hota)

ccac26a3ed8a83fd8b03f77d1b6a548e.jpg

Otherwise, great work on this update, I'm sure I'll survive.

Edited by Ehizellbob
added wood type, which I stupidly forgot before

41 minutes ago, Muse said:

Some items seem not to have been included:

Spinning wheels have not been given the new colour treatment, nor have crates or crate racks, nor have small barrel racks or wine barrel racks, nor have huge (oil) barrels, which look the same as before.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

Yeah, I swore it was mentioned somewhere, but this is going to be a staggered roll-out. Each item has to have manual effort put in to making this work. 

• Like 1

Thought so :)

Thank you for your efforts so far, oleanderwood boats are looking amazing :) 

being fairly newly returned I am lucky in the sense I've not yet made enough stuff or dyed things to have any complaints really :) So far what I've seen looks nice. A pic here of an oddity I don't think was intended, one drawer on alchemy cupboard seems to be a different texture entirely...

UW8k301.jpg

I'm very happy for the new possibility to dye, and thanks for the lot of work with the update.

I'm very sad for the lost wood types. I liked that we had a lot of textures in Wurm, the sky with the clouds, the shiny water and the different wood types. The new textures of wooden items looks like a drawing, the old textures looked more real and more 3D.
All the wooden shades are too dark and pink-orange colored.

Here are my knarrs

Gyarmi: Wood  colors: r=215, g=198, b=16. Sail colors: r=215, g=198, b=16. It is locked with a lock of okay quality. It is made from cedarwood.
Shorokaze: A ship with a clinker-built hull assembled with iron rivets, and one mast with a square yard sail. In insufficient wind it is rowed with oars. The side rudder is on the starboard side. It is locked with a lock of okay quality. It is made from olivewood.
They look almost a same.

fcJUXWe.jpg

It is a large chesnut chest: A large chest made from planks and strengthened with iron ribbons. Wood  colors: r=84, g=84, b=170. It is made from chestnut.
I think it is purple and not bluish. I know, the color of wood pushed the blue to purple. It is nice color too, but how can we make blue wooden items?

7pc9sim.jpg

Edited by Annyil
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dirt said:

The dev team has done a great job on updates lately and the current one allowing coloring of wood and cloth parts of items separately is brilliant. But I was under the impression and really hoping that the old wood textures would come back for all wood items (like crates and bsbs etc) and stay the same for ones like barrels and beds. I really liked the wood textures they had before todays update and I was really sad when they removed them from most items including bsbs a few years ago. Now wood items (barrels at least) all look the same =(. I miss my olive wood barrels. Now wood items just look blah. Can we have the old wood textures back for all wood items please? Thank you.

https://imgur.com/a/qKCEP

Barrel wood types from left to right: Olive, birch, oak, linden, pine, cedar.

Dirk

I thought the whole idea behind bringing woodtypes in for ships was to add to the existing things like barrels?  Why take away on some then add on others, makes no sense.  All wooden items should have a unique wood texture.

13 minutes ago, Fairyshine said:

I thought the whole idea behind bringing woodtypes in for ships was to add to the existing things like barrels?  Why take away on some then add on others, makes no sense.  All wooden items should have a unique wood texture.

Wood "textures" for EVERY wooden item would increase the amount of textures for any furniture to about 17-18 or so, reducing client performance and stretching out dev work so far that introducing new wooden items would be a nightmare. 

This system means the colour shading is done on the fly, any wooden item introduced has the client colour it instead of Saroman needing to do over a dozen different textures. This method was always our goal due to those reasons, and while it does need some tweaking, we're confident it's the way to go for looks AND performance

We're taking feedback about things that look bad with dyes (which is something I personally consider very important!) So don't worry, this system is extremely flexible and I'll be pestering Saroman lots! 

None shaded wooden items will also be worked on, we expect this to be in 3 or 4 large chunks, but we will see. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

(which is something I personally consider very important!)

if dyes were important, we would be able to grow woad in planters

• Like 4