Sign in to follow this  
Davih

PVE Affinity gain rework

First of all, i want to make clear that i don't want affinities to be just given out more "easily"
My proposed rework just aims for them to be given out in a more appropriate and evenly distributed way.

The current way , if i understood correctly, is that everytime a skillcheck occurs, a 1/500 chance gets rolled for every skill/parent skill/stat involved in the process.

That makes affinities way easier to acquire by focusing on speedy actions (high skill mining/repairing/gathering spices/lighting full pans/what else?) and incredibly punishing and nearly impossible for long skills (meditating/improving with low stamina/no woa/etc) It also makes charateristics way too easy to acquire respectively to skills, because, basically, any skill you're using, usually involves 1-2 skills and 4-6 stats.

This is my proposed rework.

- Leave the base chance for skills at 1/500
- Change the base chance for stats from 1/500 to 1/2500 
- Change the "rolling" system from "once every succesfull check" to "once every 2-3 seconds of any action you are doing, same way as tools get damage halfway through the actions"

This way, affinities should be -more or less- as frequent as before, but way better distributed among any activity anyone is doing and not all on statistics.

Edited by Davih

1 hour ago, Davih said:

Change the "rolling" system from "once every succesfull check" to "once every 2-3 seconds of any action you are doing, same way as tools get damage halfway through the actions"

That's probably not feasible to code... they went with successful skill checks because there's a good central place to add that and all actions would go through it without much work. Doing the check every X seconds during an action would require adding it in many many many different places in code, as every action has its own code that handles it's timer and ticking (or not).

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, bdew said:

That's probably not feasible to code... they went with successful skill checks because there's a good central place to add that and all actions would go through it without much work. Doing the check every X seconds during an action would require adding it in many many many different places in code, as every action has its own code that handles it's timer and ticking (or not).

Yeah, i feared that much.
But there are workarounds to keep the general idea, i'd say, then, to roll a chance which is proportionate to the action's lenght.

Like... 1 / (1000/seconds)           ?

and 5 or more times smaller of that for charateristics.

maybe with a "minimum" of 1 sec, for actions that don't require time, like skillgains from cooking

Edited by Davih

Todays patch notes;
Change: Adjusted affinity gain chances to favour skills more than characteristics. This change is aimed at avoiding the majority of affinities being characteristics and to result in skill affinities being more common. We will continue to monitor and adjust affinity chances in further updates if necessary.

you mean to say about 100 people have characteristic affinities but now we're unlikely to get them?
lucky them eh

I can't comment further, i'm still waiting for my new one.

Edited by Steveleeb

20 minutes ago, Steveleeb said:

Todays patch notes;
Change: Adjusted affinity gain chances to favour skills more than characteristics. This change is aimed at avoiding the majority of affinities being characteristics and to result in skill affinities being more common. We will continue to monitor and adjust affinity chances in further updates if necessary.

you mean to say about 100 people have characteristic affinities but now we're unlikely to get them?
lucky them eh

I can't comment further, i'm still waiting for my new one.

lol what? where are these patch notes?

any action tends to have 2x more stats than skills checked. 

To stop stats from hogging all the affinities, it's been weighted to favour skills, meaning more likely to get the ones you actively like to grind. 

Stats havent been shrunk to 1/2500 or anything though, nothing that dramatic 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

any action tends to have 2x more stats than skills checked. 

Yep, that's what i wrote in the op :D

Give us them numbers!

Also, can we know if you plan on doing something about the "other" issue too? the fast actions being extremely more rewarding than the slow actions?
I mean, i wouldn't really want to rethink my whole gameplay in terms of "how should i do this to maximize the chance for affinities?"

today:
[12:01:04] Mind logic has increased to rank 1 affinity

Mining with speed pick, of course.

just saying

Edited by Davih