Sign in to follow this  
Farmerbob

Horse behavior on bridges is dramatically broken

If you stop riding a horse when you are on a bridge, it is very difficult to manage to get it back under control without GM assistance.  You cannot lead or tame it.

I have normally been able to do this by charming the horse, then right-click commanding it to move to a non-bridge tile.  This usually works, but sometimes does not, probably based on the terrain steepness that the bridge is crossing, or some such.

There really needs to be a fix for this.  An excellent horse, with good gear is a substantial asset and very painful to lose to a server bug.

Not only that, you cannot charm a horse that is branded and cared for by another person.  You also have to worry about agro creatures attacking your charmed horse while you are trying to de-bridge it.

On the server I now play on, there are no restrictions to priesthood, but on the old Wurm servers, I suspect that broken horses on bridges are even more painful than they are where I currently play.

Edited by Farmerbob
word choice

Are you sure it's not a mod issue on the server you play on? FWIW i haven't gotten any complaints about horses  stuck on bridges from my players...

What errors are you getting when trying to re-lead the horse after dismounting on a bridge?

Added: There's one annoying glitch, if you dismount while moving and having a bit of lag, the horse might remain positioned incorrectly on your screen. Usually walking a few tiles back then trying to lead from there solves it, but if not a relog for /lotime definitely does.

Edited by bdew

For some dumb reason I parked my cart on the second tile of a bridge last night. When I hopped back on I dropped through the bridge, fortunately the cart with hells stayed above as it was deep water, only choice I had was to unhitch and lead the horses off the bridge and drag the cart off.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:58 AM, bdew said:

Are you sure it's not a mod issue on the server you play on? FWIW i haven't gotten any complaints about horses  stuck on bridges from my players...

What errors are you getting when trying to re-lead the horse after dismounting on a bridge?

Added: There's one annoying glitch, if you dismount while moving and having a bit of lag, the horse might remain positioned incorrectly on your screen. Usually walking a few tiles back then trying to lead from there solves it, but if not a relog for /lotime definitely does.

I have not played WO for a long time now.  Possibly as much as 2 years.  I play on the Mythmoore WU server, which does have some mods.  I am getting the same type of errors that you used to get trying to engage a horse or wagon on the ground floor of a house when you were on the second floor of a house, or higher.  If I remember when I tried those.  Trying to lead or tame gives a too far message.  Charming, which is a ranged spell, works, but the horses apparently think they are on the ground, and cannot always route properly to a tile when you tell them to go to a specific tile after charming.

After thinking about it for a bit, the bridges that I have experienced problems on are steep bridges, over significant slopes.  I cannot remember having dismounted from a horse over shallow water or over gradual slopes.