Sign in to follow this  
Trenix

Body Temperature & More

[New Cloths]

Fur glove

Fur hat

Fur jacket

[New Features]

• In the summer, wearing heavy clothing will increase your body temperature.
  • In the winter, wearing light clothing will reduce your body temperature.
  • You can wear whatever you want in the spring and fall.
  • When your body temperature is high, your thirst will drain faster.
  • When your body temperature is low, your hunger will drain faster.
  • Each clothing will provide a certain amount of insulation from either the cold or heat, generally you use cloth clothing for the summer and fur clothing in the winter.

Just would like to add more purpose for a tailor and see more uses for clothing. This is just a minor change, nothing drastic.

Edited by Trenix
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

life is feudal is that way ---->

Are you implying that it is ahead of wurm in terms of cool mechanics lol. Or just blindly pointing.

+1 to more survival aspects. Grinding all the time is boring.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

Are you implying that it is ahead of wurm in terms of cool mechanics lol. Or just blindly pointing.

+1 to more survival aspects. Grinding all the time is boring.

That game doesn't have those mechanics, he's just trolling for attention. As you can see, we're a very welcoming and definitely not a condescending community.

Edited by Trenix
  • Like 4

+1 as a tailor myself I would like to see my clothes come into good use. For new clothes to add, there should be more wool clothes or a wool blanket for the Winter. Also, I don't think we would need a dresser since there is already a wardrobe to store clothes

• Like 1

+1, though admittedly not terribly hopeful.

I really like the idea of fur clothing.  I think it's come up before.  That might some day pan out.

I'd again suggest Wurm Unlimited.  Have you tried the Mystic Highlands server?  The winter mod is really cool.  The clothes you wear in the winter and in rain matters.  Heat sources are essential in winter time.  I mean, you WILL die without them.

I also saw another server started relatively recently focused on hardcore survival.  Perma-death!  That may be a bit much, but just sayin'.  Obviously not for those who don't like a challenge!

its a lame idea, there is no reason why we should need to change cloths cause there is snow for a few days every 6 weeks

this is not a real life simulator

• Like 2

+1 to clothes and summer and winter meaning more. Could also allow for more survival spells (beneficial versions of Frostbrand or Flaming Aura, for instance).

I gotta wonder about server load, though. :(

49 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

there is no reason why we should need to change cloths cause there is snow for a few days every 6 weeks

Agreed, we should make winter longer so there's good reason to expand upon its effects :P

The idea does have popularity and a following in Wurm Unlimited.  It's actually really fun having to plan and think ahead so you're prepared for winter.  It adds value to a lot of skills and can add quite a bit of motivation to get things done.

It's also nice to see things mixed up to where plate armor might have negatives in the winter, wool is more than a fashion statement, explorer hat protects better in the rain, etc. 

I think for many people Wurm is in the details, and it's the details that got us through the door to begin with.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

Agreed, we should make winter longer

most people can barely stand the short amount of snow we already get, if you want weeks on end of winter start your own greenland wu server

Just now, JakeRivers said:

most people can barely stand the short amount of snow we already get, if you want weeks on end of winter start your own greenland wu server

It's definitely crossed my mind.  I think there's actually a server that started recently with an Arctic continent.  Not sure when I'll get a chance to try it out and the 90% aggroes sounds pretty brutal to me lol, but on my list for sure.

Not sure I would agree that "most" can barely stand winter.  Not to worry though, I have no doubt WO will remain whatever you want it to be.  The rest of us will indeed be over on WU servers.  I'd love to see a way we could support CC, without necessarily supporting the WU servers you play on in the form of WO.  Perhaps in due time.  Have fun. :)

Survival aspects like that looks good on paper. But in long term playing became very annoying.

22 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

Survival aspects like that looks good on paper. But in long term playing became very annoying.

Like hunger and thirst? :) I suppose needing to drink water all the time could be considered annoying, but the necessity drives immersive and logistical gameplay (crafting/managing water containers and looking for convenient water sources).

Sure, that can be taken too far. As a developer, I'd look at it this way: how often do players have to stop doing something they want to do, to take care of a survival need? In this case, most of the requirements seem logistical: having the right seasonal clothes available, or having warm shelter available, all of which makes lesser-used items/features more important (which I like), without being too fiddly.

If players had to swap clothes from daytime to nighttime, however, that might be going too far. :P

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kadore said:

Let me think this over carefully ... No.

let me.... join you....no

-1<_<

It's going to be annoying to switch clothes/armor for chilling/fighting...

This is similar to chain/plate armored players who had to equip armor when they need it, and unequip it to move without slowly dragging on the ground.

43 minutes ago, Finnn said:

lt's going to be annoying to switch clothes/armor for chilling/fighting...

This is similar to chain/plate armored players who had to equip armor when they need it, and unequip it to move without slowly dragging on the ground.

Sounds like a use for archery more than an annoyance for melee, but then again thats subjective. 

18 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

life is feudal is that way ---->

it doesn't use temperature unless me being in the snow naked right now is some kind of glitch.

lif wiki is that way ---->

when the snow is out I just sit inside anyway so whatever, let her rip I guess.

I wouldn't want to have a penalty connected with it but I can see adding bonuses to give clothing more use.

16 hours ago, Wilczan said:

this

I think this brings another topic, which is, what this game is truly about. I am sort of getting the impression that many people view the game differently. Because for me, Wurm has always been a survival game. I mean you build shelter, hoard food, deal with hunger and thirst, deal with wounds, try to survive in the wild, and so on. Now the survival in Wurm has never been brutal in a way such as that you cannot die from not eating or drinking. This is exactly why I said body temperature will only penalize you rather than kill you. This game has always been about penalizing you for doing things wrong. You should be planning for the winter, but it doesn't appear that planning for the winter is a thing yet, which I hope that eventually changes. Additionally, this game has always been chore-orientated. Is dealing with body temperature a chore?

It most definitely is, just like the rest of this game. However if by now you don't appreciate chores by now, I'm surprised how exactly can you enjoy the game. I enjoy chores, because it gives me something to do and takes me away from tasks that are getting repetitive. Hunger and thirst are a perfect example of that. It seems like any ounce of difficulty and complexity seems rather frightening. But again, has not Wurm always difficult and complex? There are hundreds of casual games out there that are less in-depth, less difficult, and more up to date. Making this game more like them, is going to do far more harm than good.

• Like 1