Sign in to follow this  
Trenix

Improved Farming Suggestions

[New Tile]

Farmland - Would look like a field without crops.

[New Crops]

Pepper

Soybean

Spinach

Sugarcane

Watermelon - Great to eat alone for hydration.

[New Tools]

Hoe - Cultivates dirt tiles into farmland which provides farming skill. Also harvests root crops like carrots, potatoes, and sugar beets.

Plow- A player driven plow which turns dirt tiles into farmland when going over them.

Heavy Plow - An animal driven plow used with the assistance of a player. It goes much faster than a regular plow and turns dirt tiles into farmland when going over them.

[Added Functionality]

Almanac - Will now additionally display information for crops and when they can be harvested.

[Changed Functionality]

Food Storage Bin - Will greatly slow decay but not entirely prevent it.

Crops - Would all rely on season but will produce overall more yield than they do currently when harvested.

Shovel - Cultivate ability renamed to till. Tilling a packed dirt tile makes it become regular dirt and provides digging skill.

Harvest - Harvesting crops on a field will make the tile become a dirt tile, thus requiring it to be cultivated again.

Sow - You can only sow crops and seeds on farmland, not on regular dirt anymore.

Edited by Trenix
  • Like 1

Can I just ask something please. I have 50x31 farm. Are you saying that I should do harvesting 1550 times and sowing 1550 and you want me to add 1550 actions to making land to farmland? Should I quit my job so I can play work in wurm? 

No thank you. -1

• Like 4

Thank you, but no, I burn out doing 100 farm tiles daily without having to cultivate them everytime I harvest something.

This is why we need a plow. :lol:

One ran by a wheel and a player, the other ran by an animal.

Edited by Trenix

14 minutes ago, Niki said:

Add those 

I added two types of plows to the suggestion, plow and heavy plow.

Edited by Trenix

See your other thread, get this in game, you sir are a true visionary.

3 hours ago, Trenix said:

[New Tile]

Farmland - Crops can now only be sown here, not regular dirt anymore.

[New Tools]

Hoe - Cultivates dirt tiles into farmland which provides farming skill. Also harvests root crops like carrots and potatoes.

Plow- A player driven plow which turns dirt tiles into farmland when going over them.

Heavy Plow - An animal driven plow used with the assistance of a player. It goes much faster than a regular plow and turns dirt tiles into farmland when going over them.

[Changed Functionality]

Shovel - Cultivate ability renamed to till. Tilling a packed dirt tile makes it become regular dirt and provides digging skill.

Harvest - Harvesting crops on a field will make the tile become a dirt tile, thus requiring it to be cultivated again.

This is certainly more realistic, but the sheer number of harvests we do right now makes it impractical.

If, however, we had a more realistic single big harvest later in the Wurm year, took a break over winter, and got started again in spring, this would work better. (And now that I think about it, it's also unrealistic how FSBs negate the need to preserve food. Smokehouses, salt meat, pickles, canning, etc. are all obviated by FSBs.)

In short, the realistic suggestions you're making touch an entire web of dependencies that would also need to be upgraded to really make it work well. I could, however, see this for a Wurm 2.0. :)

(Oh, it also occurs to me that a single big harvest would become a valid PvP military target, just like in real life.)

Edited by Roccandil
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

This is certainly more realistic, but the sheer number of harvests we do right now makes it impractical.

If, however, we had a more realistic single big harvest later in the Wurm year, took a break over winter, and got started again in spring, this would work better. (And now that I think about it, it's also unrealistic how FSBs negate the need to preserve food. Smokehouses, salt meat, pickles, canning, etc. are all obviated by FSBs.)

In short, the realistic suggestions you're making touch an entire web of dependencies that would also need to be upgraded to really make it work well. I could, however, see this for a Wurm 2.0. :)

Thank you for the input. The idea of putting seasons into account, increasing yield from fields, and having a break for winter, would definitely add way more to the game. We already have an almanac for fruit trees, nuts, and flowers, and so on, mind as well use it for crops as well. I'm also in favor of adding better ways of preservation and not having some sort of storage that will prevent all decay from happening. I understand that many don't like difficulty, but nowadays with so many games being so casual, I ended up running back to Wurm. I might build up this post a lot further to explain exactly what kind of in-depth system I'd want to see for farming. Putting in bits and pieces just makes people think that I'm asking for the same thing, I'm not. I just want some improvement from a very stale farming system.

4 hours ago, Niki said:

teamwork-e1319678959212-1024x792.jpg

Add those 

Niki  we already have horses.

• Like 1

I added that crops should also provide more yield, since I really do feel we get way too little crops for the space and time we put into them. Also at this point, this farming system should be similar to the current system when it comes to time spent, if not faster, while at the same time adding more tools and depth.

I just want to throw this out there....

Why?

Why do we need more bigger harvests?

What are we going to do with them?

How will they make an impact on wurm other than filling FSB's and helping people to grind out cooking?

21 minutes ago, Tallios said:

Why?

How will they make an impact on wurm other than filling FSB's and helping people to grind out cooking?

I'm thinking bigger but fewer harvests, but maybe that's not what was meant.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tallios said:

Why?

Because people said this new process would make everything more time consuming, which isn't true because trows should fix that, but yeah. I think I'm just going to write how I want to see the farming handled in the game and the developers and players could pick out what they find is good or bad, maybe even come up with better ideas.

• Like 1