Sign in to follow this  
Fablecrafter

Mortar Mixing

Alright, so about everybody knows the pain of making mortar in the game... One of the most dreaded tasks anybody worries about moving into :P

So I was thinking that it'd be a neat mechanic if we could mix batches of mortar, in say a container, like a barrel or something, that we have clay in the barrel, and apply sand to it, and mix it till it's mixed to a good enough consistency, possibly using a % mechanic, with chances to fail either reducing the % or just not adding to it or just minimal adding to it... cause... How does a person mess up, mashing sand and clay together? :P

Course with this making larger batches of mortar at a time... would also require much longer to do so, just to be fair, it'd have to be 2x the amount of time it'd take to make the same amount of what the mass would be in the barrel the normal way.

• Like 2

I would suggest that a large container, such as the "huge tub, would be perfect for mixing of things.

Thus a container with enough material for 1 batch of mortar would be standard difficulty, but larger batches would increase difficulty and have a harder time being high quality at first.

On 03/02/2018 at 1:04 AM, Fablecrafter said:

So I was thinking that it'd be a neat mechanic if we could mix batches of mortar, in say a container, like a barrel or something, that we have clay in the barrel, and apply sand to it, and mix it till it's mixed to a good enough consistency, possibly using a % mechanic, with chances to fail either reducing the % or just not adding to it or just minimal adding to it... cause... How does a person mess up, mashing sand and clay together?

Course with this making larger batches of mortar at a time... would also require much longer to do so, just to be fair, it'd have to be 2x the amount of time it'd take to make the same amount of what the mass would be in the barrel the normal way.

On 21/05/2017 at 3:17 PM, Arkonick said:

Mortar for example you should make it so you add x amount of clay to a large barrel then x amount of sand then click on barrel and select mix. Then you take the amount of time it would originally take to make all that mortar and shave 10% off it and it now is a 1 timer count. You've shortened the time saved a bunch of clicks created a illusion of realism and really not destroyed the effect or process just changed it a bit, it kinda is like the timer  when planning a bridge instead it is a mixing process.

Me and budda talked in WU channel one day about windmills and such actually fitting wurm now. I would even go as in the future some type of wind powered windmill not only for grain grinding but ability to hook up a barrel with rigs that will auto mix mortar or churn milk into butter etc... but this is just ideas that can fit all snug together over a stretch time of development.

Pottery bricks just take way more time to make and deal with than any other brick and pottery brick walls are very nice walls and should be encouraged to make in WO and WU.

From the `Pottery Brick making the right way` post
https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/154331-pottery-brick-making-the-right-way/
Clearly the title doesn't concern mortar but the excerpt echoes your thoughts. 

I seek to give weight to the suggestion
+1

mortar is one of the easiest tasks of all.  Load up some clay and sand, grab a good book and click "continue" every 20 seconds.  Much easier than making the accompanying bricks.