Sign in to follow this  
Fairyshine

Destroy cart and ship button

With new woodtypes coming I can see how people will want to remake their carts and ships.  However, the old stuff may end up littering the environment for months or years.  Is it possible to add a destroy cart or destroy ship button to these items in case people want to immediately get rid of them to replace with the new one? Only ever give this button to the owner, so even if someone else has managing rights they still cannot destroy. (Include wagons in this list also.)

Disclaimer: I have not thought this through in terms of PvP so just a suggestion to perhaps stop many, many pixels taking up server space and perhaps cause unnecessary lag.

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 7

I think a better option would be to allow changing the wood type of your existing boats.

• Like 4

-1 theres game mechanics in place to take care of this if you want to do it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arium said:

-1 theres game mechanics in place to take care of this if you want to do it.

Which is?

I made a maplewood large cart last night, didn't realize I did that so I asked in CA Help how to destroy it. I didn't get an answer, but I'm assuming I can't use a hatchet or anything to bash it. I even looked through the Wiki and saw nothing about destroying a large cart.

So if there is no way now to get rid of carts, +1 from me then

But if there is a way please tell me :unsure:

Edit: I did try to use a hatchet or maul and didn't get an option

Edited by PumperNickel
  • Like 2

path of power can erupt lava which damages anything. push boats or carts onto it and they will burn. however, remember that you can not erupt underneath items as a way to prevent griefing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Arium said:

path of power can erupt lava which damages anything. push boats or carts onto it and they will burn. however, remember that you can not erupt underneath items as a way to prevent griefing.

Arium makes a great point. Lets remove destroying via Mauls and Huge axes in general. We should make it so all items should be destroyed by a mechanic that can only be available through meditation on a path people don't use often. -1 to OP, +1 to making the game stupid

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Arium said:

I much prefer just to be able to bash it. I'm on Path of Knowledge and don't wanna change paths just to do this

• Like 3

People can destroy houses, that took thousands of bricks and mortar to make, with one click, so why not a boat/vehicle?

Should be possible just by clicking a button in management (owner only).

• Like 6

Bring back bashing carts/boats.  Only allow if unlocked or have manage permission.  Lock your stuff and set perms properly and you are set for life on freedom, especially since things create locked now

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

I think a better option would be to allow changing the wood type of your existing boats.

59 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

Bring back bashing carts/boats.  Only allow if unlocked or have manage permission.  Lock your stuff and set perms properly and you are set for life on freedom, especially since things create locked now

+1 to both of these. I would love the option to bash wooden items with an axe and get a pile of wood scraps out of it at least.

• Like 1

Good suggestion Fairyshine! Owners should have the option to destroy their own carts/ships with a few actions available to everyone, by that I mean no exclusive skills required such as priests or med.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Why not make it so that a cart, wagon or ship would take damage if left off deed and the owner is not logged in for more than 30 days.

I want the option to destroy carts so I don't have to drop excess carts near an annoying person's deed when aiming for a rare cart. If i was rare hunting for a steel pick i could smelt the picks I don't want anymore if I get too many. Why not have crowbars be used for dissembling wood items into wood scrap.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

I want the option to destroy carts so I don't have to drop excess carts near an annoying person's deed when aiming for a rare cart. If i was rare hunting for a steel pick i could smelt the picks I don't want anymore if I get too many. Why not have crowbars be used for dissembling wood items into wood scrap.

I very much like this idea

18 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

I will erupt a tile at 1s each, you can burn wurm to the ground.

Just remember you can only erupt on deed now.  Whenever it is off deed "nothing happens" and we are still waiting to hear if it is a bug or a ninja intended thing.  And only on rock.  If you are high up with no exposed rock tiles on your deed you are out of luck.

If you think about it, most things have in game mechanics for slow decay already, e.g. you can leave a house to decay naturally off deed, you can also bash it with a maul or a shodclub.  Yet we have the option to destroy annoying houses immediately with the click of a button, providing you are the owner.  Using crowbars/insert-relatively-easy-to-acquire-tool could work too, just as long as we have some option to get rid of the stuff which is equally available to all players.

On a personal note:  If the result is a woodscrap then PLEASE let me know who wants them.  To me these are just as annoying to deal with as those microscopic pieces of leftover leather and half nails still lurking in the bottoms of some bulk storage bins.

In my experience of the past, the cause of abandoned ships littering the server isn't the absence of a `destroy` button.
it's people leaving the game, or rage quitting, or forgetting they had a ship parked there.
Even with the addition of the new perms table, i doubt many of these perpetrators have even glanced at it.
That said, the problem of littered ships isn't anywhere near as bad as it was years ago.

I think being able to change the wood type once, would be a better compromise.

Carts & Wagons - the rapid push functionality was brought in shortly after i had trouble moving 37 abandoned carts and wagons off-deed.
course i didn't own them and considering the circumstance that got them there, i doubt they would have destroyed them either. 

As for whether or not Manage>Ships and Manage>Carts & Wagons perm should have a destroy button
+1

Edited by Steveleeb

12 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

"nothing happens"

lol

it works off deed just fine

+1 for option to reskin existing boats if it's for the wood-type texture; 

Another option is to be able to reconstruct the boat, and turning it into unfinished one.... with ~40-to-60% of the materials already applied to it... allowing the ex-owner to finish it with other woodtype/texture.

I do not like the 1-click destruction.:mellow:

6 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

lol

it works off deed just fine

Ah, so nothing happens only above reinforced cave walls?  I guess it never dawned on me to make lava tiles randomly just for the heck of it.

On 2/2/2018 at 4:17 PM, Wargasm said:

Would you suggest the same for all other objects as that have a different wood texture? Kind of defeats the purpose of creating the finished product the correct way the first time. Also what would be the point of having many different boats with different wood types? Everyone would just change their boat texture at will. Doesn't seem very Wurm-like. Would be even worse if the wood type of a boat actually matter like if it reduced decay, ect.

32 minutes ago, Trenix said:

Would you suggest the same for all other objects as that have a different wood texture?

ah no well you see.. it used to be an option to create a Knarr with a certain wood texture, cherrywood was the favourite. 
Ships that were built post-change weren't able to select a texture, ships that will be built post-rollback, will.
It's only fair to allow a one-off change for those that were built when you couldn't choose the texture.
and much easier to simply give everyone the chance to do so. once. 

36 minutes ago, Trenix said:

Also what would be the point of having many different boats with different wood types? 

The same point of having many different ships with different paint. 

37 minutes ago, Trenix said:

Everyone would just change their boat texture at will. 

Not if it was a once only change, which is fair, considering choice was not given when their ship was originally created but now.. it is?

tbh i don't see your contention
Choice was not given, soon it will be.
better to allow a one off change than to risk a couple of hundred knarrs being abandoned for a better wood texture. 

One time change sounds good, but only once. Another idea would be to add salvaging in this game. The original owner can then get back a percentage of their material from their finished product. Would be more ideal to use that feature being that we're getting many different wood types for a various of objects as well with the new update. It will also remain a solution for future content.

Edited by Trenix

On ‎3‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:17 AM, Wargasm said:

I did not get this option when blue, black or green scale was introduced (same goes for drake).  I know we could use some tool on old style stone walls to remove the wooden edge on the top when the new types were introduced, but the walls still essentially remained rock (could not change to slate, pottery or marble).  Same for stone bridges, we can't just click on them to change them to another type of materials because we don't like the look.  We have to destroy and rebuild, so am unsure that there is any precedent for this (other than the change of faith with the priest stuff, which is not related to the looks/appearance of an item).  The prompt for this suggestion is to request a way to easily destroy so we can rebuild without having to go dump the previous stuff somewhere in a lake.

By the by, this goes for bridges not attached to houses, as well.  Standing there bashing ten million times on a bridge to get it poofed is not fun.  Owner should have destroy option.

• Like 2