Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

Stables

This idea came up in another thread, but I think it deserves its own post. There should be a way for people to have large animal collections without needing ridiculously huge deeds because of deed ratio, while at the same time not lagging the server or messing up the numbers of wild spawns.

You can build a stable like a house and store animals inside. Once an animal is in the stable, it is frozen in time, so say it goes into the stable mature and fat, it comes out mature and fat, no matter how much time has passed. They don't even need to display physically, there can just be a written list of what animals are in the stable, and they can be stored like objects. This way they wouldn't count towards deed ratio, but it shouldn't mess up other things on the server if there are a lot of them.

-1 seems unnecessary for 99.99% of wurm and just makes bypasses carefor and removes them from ever dying

We should not be able to bend space and time, nor should they only exist in a "list". If you want a large amount of animals, you should need a large amount of stables.

12 minutes ago, Budzilla said:

If you want a large amount of animals, you should need a large amount of stables.

I agree, I was thinking you'd have to do the same thing as we already do with pens, each animal you want to store in the stable gets its own individual stall, which you have to build. The reason I thought not displaying them might be a good idea is so that they lag the server less.

10 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Isn't the point of deed ratio so you have to pay to hoard animals?

As far as I'm aware, the only problem with people hoarding animals is that it lags the server and messes up natural spawns. The animal ratio aims to discourage large animal collections. If stables were implemented, large animal collections wouldn't cause problems, and there would be no need to try to censor them. You don't have to pay extra for any other interest in Wurm, whether it be smithing, farming, building, etc. Animals are the only thing you have to pay extra for, and if this can be avoided with something like stables, it would make things a lot fairer. Either that or make it so that you have to pay extra for all aspects of Wurm, not just this one. At least that would be equal, then.

14 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

-1 seems unnecessary for 99.99% of wurm and just makes bypasses carefor and removes them from ever dying

Yes, but you can only care for a very limited number of animals per character, whereas if you're prepared to put in the time, you can build dozens of stalls in stables.

Edited by Attenia
  • Like 1

I like it, especially if stables had a manger you could fill, and could be built underground. :)

There is a reason why deed ratios were a thing, and a dozen other mechanics implemented to prevent animal hoarding, for many good reasons. This is a total step backwards...

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Shrimpiie said:

There is a reason why deed ratios were a thing, and a dozen other mechanics implemented to prevent animal hoarding, for many good reasons.

I thought the reasons were the server lag and skewing of wild spawns that were caused by large animal collections. Are there other reasons I'm not aware of?

7 hours ago, MrGARY said:

7 hours ago, Budzilla said:

We should not be able to bend space and time, nor should they only exist in a "list". If you want a large amount of animals, you should need a large amount of stables.

They could die if/when the stables decay and poof.  Could even have required some kind of food/grain upkeep...

This wouldn't bend space and time any more than someone with 50 bsb's of stuff.  Their contents exist as a list, won't ever decay unless the container does, etc.

I believe part of the reasoning behind bsb's and fsb's isn't just the eternal preservation of the contents, but removing the need for the server to poll all the contents as many times... thereby lowering lag inducing bandwidth and server cpu cycles, not to mention hamsters.

1 hour ago, Attenia said:

I thought the reasons were the server lag and skewing of wild spawns that were caused by large animal collections. Are there other reasons I'm not aware of?

That was my impression as well.  I hope someone can shed light on the other reasons.  @Shrimpiie

If I were to suggest nobody needs to have shelf after shelf of crates full of bsb's full of completely useless stuff... you can bet some would huff and puff, get all upset.  Telling them just to buy more land for the bsb's full of crap rather than creating containers for the containers to have more containers.  I just don't think that would go over too well. 

I don't really see what's wrong with your wanting to have a lot of animals and finding a way to do it without harming anyone else the same way others hoard what they value.  It's just storage for animals.

Oh well.

Sorry Attenia.  Maybe try the mod section on Wurm Unlimited, it's not limited :P  Maybe the mod for stablemasters might work, or could be modified to work.

• Like 3

-1 from me. 

I just dont like any of it. 

Build a stable out of the already large amount of options for buildings. (+1 to more options :D )  enjoy the view of your stable and all of your fine steeds. 

Rarher than have 30-40 horses inside a 2x2 shack on a min deed. Just doesn’t make sense in any way to me. Seems against the spirit of the game IMO. 

Not a bad idea really but there is a simpler solution for "storing" animals on the WU server that I play. Activate rope, lead animal, right click and convert it to a token which looks like a Settlement (deed) form. Weight should be 0.00. Can also be "dropped", as in put into a container for storage. This way you can carry them with you when moving locations, or to have to ride/use when desired. Could be sold on Merchants this way too.

Animal does not age, so lets say if you are not playing for some period of time you could just store your animals in this manner.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
r
  • Like 1