Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 052 - BREAKING NEWS EDITION

1 hour ago, Dorian said:

I was thinking about the wood types coming back.  We now have a few more types of wood than we did.  Will the new woods be getting a new texture?

Yes! this system allows for easy introduction, fir, walnut, chestnut. linden, orange and oleander wood types will also be included. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Yes! this system allows for easy introduction, fir, walnut, chestnut. linden, orange and oleander wood types will also be included. 

Woo hoo!!!  

I will miss the old textures for certain woods but I think this is a better change overall. :D

Now all we need is less RNG when it comes to the dye system.

Edited by Pride
  • Like 1

Looking good.. and next step would be to make clothing/armor dyeable in the same way.

Edited by Hodor

Magic !  Well done, Dev team -  and congrats to Samool for joining the team officially now - and to Saroman for all his hard work too.

Keep it up you guys - you are doing great things there.

Will we eventually be able to dye metals as well? I would love to change the color of iron fences.

Sigh. Now I'm forced to log in and play with my dyes more. As if Misfits isn't bright enough already lol. 

3 hours ago, luvable said:

Sigh. Now I'm forced to log in and play with my dyes more. As if Misfits isn't bright enough already lol. 

I brought the highway to misfits. You should connect!

Place function is great! But it doesn't work placing things on rugs, the "shadow" vanishes and it can't be placed.

Edited by Darmalus

Oh ty for making things not just be one color when painted/dyed :)  Loving the new wood colors can't wait to come back and fix my place up.

• Like 1

I keep seeing insinuations by staff that wood type specific textures have come back, but from what I'm seeing here in the screenshots, they haven't; there's just a color shader applied, like with dye.

So which is it? Wood types used to actually have different textures, so it would be kind of disappointing if we've been waiting this long for what is essentially just a pre-applied dye job.

EDIT: The more granular dying system and being able to manually place objects is great though. Any plans on extending it to loadable objects such as forges and benches, that can't be dropped?

Edited by Ostentatio

Wood colours are back, these are not different textures as that would be an enormous amount of work, and pretty impacting performance wise, essentially each wooden item now has a hue based on wood type. 

It's the system we've always intended to replace textures, as it's a much more efficient system in terms of processing performance, memory management, and development time and focus. 

• Like 1

Thank you for diversity of wood colors. I only would wish cedar would not be so orange.... because it dominates the game optics now since most freedom wagons are made from cedar for obvious reasons to slow down decay of the inside crates. 

I also miss the oakenwood texture a lot but I do understand that it would be a lot of extra work to implement the oakenwood or other textures for every wooden item. Maybe a little tweak here and there with all those orange shades would be nice.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of dying woods? Feels so out of place. I rather pick wood color based on the type of wood I used. Also since we're getting so many wood types, would be nice if they started getting some more properties so there would be a reason to prefer other wood types.

I have ONE issue with this update. I happened upon an oleander boat and now I want it for the release on WU! Buuuuut - I have been told we basically canot get oleander wood!? :( 

(I play on unlimited and our server never had the bug where you could store rift wood in bsbs and turn them into "oleander log" - so I cannot possibly even aquire oleander wood as it is now)

Please tell me I missed something, or that you guys got a plan for this?

Edited by Joneya

20 hours ago, Joneya said:

(I play on unlimited and our server never had the bug where you could store rift wood in bsbs and turn them into "oleander log" - so I cannot possibly even aquire oleander wood as it is now)

That is not how we get oleander logs on WO - when you chop the rift plants as well as getting the rift wood there is a log on the ground. The different plants give either oak, willow or oleander logs. The oleander comes from the small rift plants.

• Like 1