Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 052 - BREAKING NEWS EDITION

header.png

Greetings everyone!

Welcome to a special breaking edition of the Valrei International, we've come in early with LOTS of new stuff, and with good reason, it's going live next week! 

To farm those likes prior to launch, I've participated in three drinking contests, two feats of strength, and a one man rendition of les miserables, the things I do to bring you the news...

But I digress, there's lots here that has had me excited to the point of losing manliness points, so let's get right in! 

Samool joins the team
As many of you may recall, Samool joined us last year as a volunteer client developer, with a focus on getting the 4.0 client launched. With that done, he began work on some other aspects and has introduced some awesome features, as well as addressed some pesky issues within the client. 

Today we're happy to announce he has joined the Wurm team in a contracted position, and will continue to work on adding awesome features to the client, including the new preview version, and something I get to reveal tonight!

A little to the left
if you've ever tried placing an item in just the right spot on the ground, you know it's a major hassle of pushing, pulling, gently pushing and pulling, swearing, crying and throwing cobs of corn at it, but that's about to change

place.png

See through dye? what is this madness?

In the next update, you'll be able manually place items on the ground! Simply select drop > place via the menu, and you may move an image of the item around. Holding ctrl while moving will align to small grids, while holding alt will moving will move in larger grids. Scrolling the mouse wheel will rotate the model. Once you have lined up the perfect place, simply left click, and it appears exactly where you intended! 

place.gif

A quick mystery solved, just drop the barrel!

You'll need to be able to drop the item from your inventory, so no placing of forges or ovens, but this should help those OCD types with neatly arranging their deeds, just in time for something else

well wood you look at that!
A long long time ago, every boat had a different texture based on wood type, which allowed players to show off their choices in style, cherry boats had a reddish hue, with willow being a grey, and the best type, olive, being a warm yellow. 

With the introduction of new boat models, to save development strain and improve performance, only one texture came, which is the boat models you see now, but soon...

boats.png

I like big boats and I cannot lie

boats.jpg

sail away sail away sail away, enya would be so jealous

As you can see above, next update boat hues based on wood type will be returning! wood choice will now change the hue of the hull, and thanks to Saroman and Samool's work, will not require loading a dozen textures! That's not all though...

wagons.png

you'll be wagon your tails in these beauties

carts.png

I cart believe how awesome these are!

bees.png

These new hives are the bees knees!

That's right, wood effects are coming back, and in force! From bee hives, to chairs, to buckets, bsbs, fsbs, carts, crate racks, catapults, and beyond, Saroman has been hard at work adding in the effects of all wood types on wooden models. His workshop is a gigantic mess of all things wooden, with his friendly supervisor looking on.

supervisor.png

Lunch breaks are strictly monitored and given every five days

As this is such a large work, we currently plan this in a few stages, with more coming out each stage, so stay tuned for that to come

Placing items, wood colours returning, you can definitely see why I've been so excited for this special edition of the news, but I STILL have more to share! 

Introducing...

Tickled pink

pink.png

damn, I used the pun in the title!

Nope, that's not Photoshop! For those crafty enough to study the pixels of the above image, they may notice that the sail is a different colour compared to the boat, and that's coming too! We'll be introducing the ability to dye the sail separately to the rest of the ship, requiring less dye, and allowing for greater showing off, the colours are more vivid, and don't turn the boat the entire shade too, meaning you can show off your wood type AND favourite colour. 

But also...

bed.png

I may have purple bedsheets too

bookcase.png

The real news, wurmians work out how to remove the books before painting the bookcase!

chairs.png

Pick a seat, any seat!

fsb.png

No getting dye on the handles? Now that's progress

spiderboat.png

Spidermans partyknarr

Yep, the personalisation doesn't end at sails, we've also added better dye systems to many things, allowing you to colour the cushions of your chair, the sheets of your bed, and most importantly, banners! 

Preview client
The preview 4.1 client work is ongoing, with some issues being addressed prior to public soft launch, with it becoming available during the update that brings all of these goodies live, which is currently scheduled for next Thursday, 8th of February.

I hope you're all as excited as I am to see these come, and just what else is in store (I've heard VERY exciting rumours, that just get better and better!

So buckle up, get your wood supplies ready, and as always, keep on wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team!

• Like 101

Congrats Samool. Looks like beautiful progress is being made, perhaps not the mammoth job I was hoping for but it looks fabulous!

• Like 2

Oh_My_God!

Also, big grats, Sam, well deserved! :)

• Like 3

Wurm is love, wurm is life.

The new additions are nice ;) but you had me a multi colors and more customization options.  

• Like 1

Congratulations, Samool! You're doing a great job!

Beautiful well done guys and congrats Sam! Guess it's time to work on my dye making skills ;)

damn now i need make again and rune all my carts, wagons and ships

I'm so doing a happy dance right now! lol Great work!!!

Retrograde: When you guys launch this, PLEASE, send out a newsletter to all the email addresses you got.  I think it will bring a lot of players back to know everything you guys have added over the last year.

Love what you guys are doing, keep it up.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Ascorbic said:

Retrograde: When you guys launch this, PLEASE, send out a newsletter to all the email addresses you got.  I think it will bring a lot of players back to know everything you guys have added over the last year.

We do with every major release, don't worry! 

• Like 8

Congratulations Samool

Meanwhile, it appear that those nice images are being served from content.wurmunlimited.com and are using an invalid certificate - it is both self signed and for another site. The result those images are not displayed in Firefox.

Update: looks as if the problem was caused by an over aggressive cross domain settings I had turned on to diagnose a problem elsewhere.

Edited by Wulfmaer

Congrats, Samool!

And, geez. You guys totally want my deed redone for the 109th time! Oh, Kristof is going to enjoy this waaaaay too much!  (secretly though, yaaaaay)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Wulfmaer said:

Congratulations Samool

Meanwhile, it appear that those nice images are being served from content.wurmunlimited.com and are using an invalid certificate - it is both self signed and for another site. The result those images are not displayed in Firefox.

I'm viewing the images with Firefox. Can see them fine. o.O

Grats to Samool, and just wow on the coming updates!  Very exciting upgrades.  Can't fail with eye candy :)

!!!!!! Eep! I love this update!!  I'm so PUMPED for the dying of separate boat parts, and the placing of items is a step above anything!  What a wonderful feature!

hi uh that visual placement preview is probably the best thing to come to wurm since ever? thanks

like damn whoever suggested and designed this QoL feature gets dev of the month

Edited by Huntar
  • Like 1