Sign in to follow this  
Baloo

Restoring Tundra Project - Mt Tundra

Hi fellow Exodians,

There is an ongoing community project whereby several of us are trying to restore tundra on Mount Tundra.

This is done but packing tiles next to the tundra, then cultivating them, so there is a dirt border for the tundra to spread into, with a further packed dirt border to stop grass, etc moving into the dirt tiles before the tundra has time to spread.

Whoever planted steppe in the dirt border next to the tundra did not help at all.  Steppe spreads faster than grass and will no doubt take over the tundra tiles.

Please, whoever you are, do not do this again.  Thank you in advance.

Anyone can help with this project.  But please try not to destroy any tundra tiles that are currently there.

Thanks.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Just as a heads up, tundra will not spread to adjacent tiles.

It spreads.

It spreads but it takes about a year to make any progress, they really need to increase the percentage.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the code for tundra spreading won't allow you to fix it without using a large amount of transmutation.

When tundra tries to spread to a dirt tile the games code does a check on the surrounding tiles and it will only ever allow tundra to spread when the vast majority of surrounding tiles are already tundra. The apparent intent of this was to make tundra capable of spreading to mend holes in itself but never actually spread across the server.

• Like 3

Actually the tundra is spreading slowly but surely, where there are dirt tiles for it to spread into.

I repeat: the planting of steppe tiles in the dirt border was NOT helpful - i now have to repack and cultivate those tiles back to dirt for the tundra to grow into.

I don't know how i can state it any more clearly so i'll just say good luck.

• Like 1

Someone kindly has removed the steppe and i have just cultivated some more packed tiles for the tundra to grow into, with a packed dirt border to try and stop the grass spreading before the tundra gets a chance.

However, the tundra is definitely spreading!  It is slow to be sure, but it IS happening.  Just time, not luck, is needed now and some careful tending of the borders.

• Like 1

We started with 7 tundra tiles on one of our deeds and we now have 32 tiles of tundra on that same deed.

The first 7 tiles were created by casting ice pillar.  We then kept the surrounding tiles cultivated dirt and surrounded by sand so that grass would not spread.

• Like 2

Hi folks.

I'm curious about establishing this as an Exodus community project, but have no experience in these matters. I would like to present a map with a concept of where tundra would be replanted and ask GM for support and protection of the work being done, as well as assistance with mediation with anyone having objections to the plan. Does anyone know if this is at all feasible?

@JakeRiversdoes the area around The Jungle deed, as well as within 5 tile distance of the sandstone highway, consist everything you'd like not to be tundrified around Mt Tundra?

I would just go around casting ice pillar like Alectrys said .

All I ever did for it to grow ..

Personally I don't like the tundra, does it even spawn anything? Meaning stuff to hunt for fight skill/weapon skill?

The project looks like crap and currently the area cleared is larger than the original area, if you don't believe me, just open the in game map.

Edited by JakeRivers

14 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Personally I don't like the tundra, does it even spawn anything? Meaning stuff to hunt for fight skill/weapon skill?

The project looks like crap and currently the area cleared is larger than the original area, if you don't believe me, just open the in game map.

Horses and bison, so no, not exactly. Lots of hide though. 

31 minutes ago, Trake said:

Horses and bison, so no, not exactly. Lots of hide though. 

I have yet to see a single bison spawn on that hillside, as for horses I only see those spawning where there is steppe, even the recent unicorn flood was tied into steppe.

Many players here want to have some tundra back, because back in the day it was a unique looking area of Exodus. It doesn't have to be -exactly- the same area. I personally don't have any big stake in it, except that I do find value in some terrain diversity around Exodus. However half a dozen players are really excited about restoring it, so I want to give some support. It doesn't hurt anyone as long as we are agreed where.

I don't think there is currently any practical value to Tundra.

With that said, it is possible a future update will bring some value to it, as it is a rare area on servers. Thus I think it is useful to have one on Exodus for such a case.

Edited by Aldur
  • Like 1

Wurmpidia says tundra does not spawn any animals , other then its just a open field of view for spotting .

But it is nice to see odd patch here and there like other terrain types.

Any Dev have the time to chime in on what terrain spawns or does not spawn animals ?   wiki is limited in this info ..

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Tundra

I commend the hard work done by Baloo, and crew to restore the tundra.  This had been undertaken at great time expense in making transmutation liquids, deforestation, and terraforming to reclaim it from the ravages done.  I lived on this server for a few years and good to see some of it's beauty returned in what is otherwise becoming an almost chaos style severe shaping of land difficult to travel along.  It's inspiring to see good work done, similar to the reclamation of the Deliverance steppe.  This is a statement about seeing community assets are of greater value to protect and share.  In each case always a few saboteurs, yet overwhelming the community has come through for the good of a common cause they believe in.

• Like 2

Maybe we'll finally get the great snowy mammoth as a new addition to game, fitting that it spawn on tundra.  Just a thought.

My Epic character, Jahpeope was created specifically for the initial land rush on Exodus, and We lived there in a small and unassuming  deed on the West side of Mount Tundra, in those days it was magnificent, a great dazzling white expanse to log into on a Wurm morning, to watch the giant Technicolor Unicorns and the packs of lake dogs, while my stiff puppet wife and I stood on our horses.

Back then there was a community pact to have as low an impact on the environment as possible, roads were kept to a minimum, and usually gravel, we took only the trees we needed, and only those we could replant, life was wonderfully rustic, then of course Epic opened, and Jah went for a first day visit, and never really returned to Exodus until quite recently, it came as a great shock to log into the old and long abandoned little pond I lived at, and almost nothing but roads met my view, the few patches of tundra I could see looked lost and forlorn, and I frankly barely recognised the server at all.

So , thanks, to everyone who's been involved in the retundrafication efforts, it brings back the old spirit of Exodus, as it was in the beginning.

• Like 2

I am very happy the tundra is coming back. For some reason a game update some time ago made trees spread all over the place, ruining the tundra as it was. It has been great to see the mountain being restored to it's unique former glory.

On 9/7/2018 at 12:18 AM, Aldur said:

I don't think there is currently any practical value to Tundra.

Quoting on myself, I did forget there actually is one. Back in the past, whenever I'd get lost on Exo, spotting tundra mountain would immediately put me back on right track. It's a very good landmark.

And it's the only place to harvest lingonberries. And if and when the devs remember that we used to have bison (ahem)... the tundra is an AWESOME place for them to spawn.

Edited by Dame

Howdy folks.

Here is a map, prepared by Egor, representing the area intended to become all tundra (within yellow borders).

Gt18XbU.png