Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Notch's New Game?

So I suddenly started running into videos on youtube purporting to show early clips of a new game that Notch has been working on.

Having been through many years of fake "Wurm 2.0" videos, I figured it was just someone trolling  ...  but sure enough Notch SEEMS to be teasing something on his Twitter account, and even showing these clips from his own YouTube channel:

DTnZ4k-W4AMeKab.jpg

It is not really clear whether he is just dabbling in coding without any real purpose or intent.  He says it has no name, he has no idea what it will be about, and he has been working on it since around christmas time. 

Hmm, didn't Rolf also vanish saying he was going to be working on some private project...? Might be cool if they teamed up again on something, but maybe there is just too much water under the bridge for tha to happen now.

Some more rumors and tidbits here:

Notch Could be Working on a Minecraft Successor

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/363305-notch-working-minecraft-successor

When a follower asked Notch what he's making, the developer replied: "I have no idea. It's a currently a voxel engine that runs in a web browser at 99fps with 60+km view distance with real time terrain generation. Oh, and all voxels are modifiable in runtime, although that will eat up the ram pretty fast. Just added real time reflections."

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Comparing with the old Wurm Online trailer from 2009

• Like 1

I guess its easy to get into the hype of "Minecraft 2", or "Wurm 2" for that matter. Whenever Notch write or shows anything in public foras, there is always speculations and thousands of fans yelling about it. Even when he attends to those yearly annual online code happenings, where you only got a limit of time to create "something", people shout that he should make Minecraft 2.

I for once dont think the guy would ever make a sequel to any of these games. Especially when you look at what thoughts he has about the current state of Minecraft after he sold out, and I guess theres a reason he left Wurm also. The pattern is quite clear, tho' I dont know the guy (or know if what he says is true) so I cant possible know for sure.

It should be said that Im very happy that he shares early stage development with us (it has been going on for a while on twitter now), and it really looks interesting. If its yet another open world game Im absolutely sure that Im going to try it.

Simply put; I like Wurm, I like Minecraft - I will try the next game, but I dont think its a sequel.

Thank goodness it looks nothing like that Minecraft square block simplistic child's play. More similar to Wurm's terrain but a lot more advanced in its complex texturing. Yeah, seems he is just messing around with this stuff and very far from creating any game incorporating it. The landshaping does look great though. If he does go anywhere this is the direction I would like to see him go.

Rolf and Notch seem too independent now in their thinking process for any joint game development, so I doubt that would ever happen or even be beneficial to either of them anyway. Nice post about it Brash.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Ohh you mean when the game had its best potential and had an active pvp server? I’ll take that again.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2018 at 2:37 PM, Ayes said:

Thank goodness it looks nothing like that Minecraft square block simplistic child's play.

=Ayes=

Yeah, strange thing that. Simplistic makes a billion dollars. Attempt at realism makes you remove several zeros. :lol:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hanel said:

Yeah, strange thing that. Simplistic makes a billion dollars. Attempt at realism makes you remove several zeros. :lol:

Kids don't like realistic games.

1 hour ago, Sklo:D said:

Kids don't like realistic games.

Maybe. I suspect, though, that it's also because realism sucks, and games are really about escape. :P

I like simplistic and realistic games. Why such generalizing? And im no kid either. :ph34r:

On 1/30/2018 at 3:58 AM, Sklo:D said:

you cant fool me, this is the intro to an 80s tv show